101.1 Klol No Longer Exists

N8TIV

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well we will do anything to please our new illegals, that means even getting rid of stuff that english speaking BORN REAL AMERICANS listen too. Just to please them. :D

your arrogance and/or ignorance is disgusting

how do you know for a fact that the majority of hispanics in the houston community are illegal, what if i told you most of them were here legally?

better yet lets say they are here illegally, why do you think they are here in the first place?

because the american factories in mexico pay them little to nothing

what do you consider to be a "real american"

do i have to be a WASP(white anglo saxon protestant)?

and believe everything that is fed to me via radio and tv

if that were the case id be some yuppy wearing Abercrombie and delicate flower

listening to creed

may i remind you that a majority if not all americans were "illegal immigrants" at one time, even your family probably

do us a favor and watch "a day without a mexican"

where would our economy and society be if we couldnt pay hispanics or other nationalities to do our dirty work for us?

in my opinion the majority of radio stations in houston suck

where would our economy and society be if we couldnt pay hispanics or other nationalities to do our dirty work for us?

1) not every city/ area relies on migrant workers. where i'm from in upstate NY, people didn't hire migrants (legal or illegal) to do yard work or other types of manual labor jobs but did it themselves. i mowed own my lawn for years when i lived up there.

but yes, people here are lazy...

2) and heck yes, they do suck. and suck bad...

"why do you think they are here in the first place?

because the american factories in mexico pay them little to nothing"

And yet Kevin Brady continues to trumpet the cause of NAFTA/CAFTA...

Attention: Houston Chronicle, THIS WOULD BE A GREAT STORY TO GET IN PRINT IN HOUSTON RIGHT NOW. ARE YOU BRAVE ENOUGH TO GO AFTER IT???

"why do you think they are here in the first place?

because the american factories in mexico pay them little to nothing"

In terms of manufacturing, Mexico is yesterday's news. A lot of the border factories are closing up shop, sending more people north in search of jobs.

Companies looking for cheap labor, access to markets, and a willing workforce are looking at Asia now. The CBC had a great line about it, "China is doing to Mexico what Mexico did to the United States."

I work for HFD and the majority of all our patients made while on the Ambulance are non-english speaking patients. Coincidently, they are also Hispanic.

Patients are "made" while on the ambulance? Lucky them! :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're saying. However, if you're attending to a large number of Hispanic, non-English speaking people in need of medical attention, I certainly hope that EMTs are required to speak at least some Spanish. Isn't saving lives what it's all about?

27 Welcome to the board,

By no means take this as a smart remark, but I work with firefighters quite a bit and have a cousin who's a Firefighter commander (Division chief?) in Mexico, so I know a bit about the culture. And yes, has dealt with enough americans (drinking too much cervesa!) to know a good amount of english as well as Chinese (who knew?).

Let me break down the information you stated with a corresponding argument per item:

you currently work for a firestation 27 (I am assuming) @ 6515 Lyons, which is heavily hispanic and black.

Like police officers accused of arresting minorities; the majority of their arrests are going to comprise reflecting the neighborhood society. If you worked at the woodlands station, odds are you would probably work more heart attacks and less "stomache aches".

When you make a patient run to the Med Center (or LBJ) you rarely stick around for more than the obligitory paperwork before the patient is taken back. So rarely do you get the opportunity to actually know what's wrong. Your primary mission is to keep the poor sap in the back of the ambulance alive and to relay information to the hospital if necessary.

also bear in mind, most minorities in your section (especially the "Hispanic ones") rarely, go to the doctor because most of the time they don't have insurance and will only go to a doctor if a limb starts falling off. So generally when they call you, they don't HAVE a PCP.

That said, while I'm unfamiliar with the First responder services in Europe, it's almost common for them to know many languages. In regards to immigration problems in Germany, you're sadly mistaken in that fact.

They are having a considerable amount of trouble with the Russians, ukranians, Italians(go fig), africans, and those from the middle east. Germany is also having to deal with the rise of the Nazi Party due to these problems.

So your argument that germans have no immigration problems has totally be shut down.

As difficult as it is to believe, most countries have an immigration problem of some sorts it's just reported on the news.

Believe it or not, respectable number of the illegal's crossing the border, are also Chinese and european. I don't have the exact numbers or percentages, but if you question me on that subject, I'll gladly look up the information.

Ricco

Walter and Johnson SUCKED! I STILL miss Stevens and Pruett. :(

Well, I will also conceed some of your other points in regards to runs and people generally being lazy.

I owe my job to other people's laziness so I can see some of your complaints are rather valid.

In regards to serving some of the "not so desireable" sections of town, that basically involves everyone in service at one point or another. But there are also other reasons why people call an ambulance and I'll give you an excellent example:

An elderly client of mine had bad knees and slightly overweight and I generally went on medical and food runs for her. While doing a welfare check on her, I noticed she was having slurred speech and generally not feeling very well. I called his son (who was out of town) and informed him. I suggested a trip to the ER because of her age as well as other symptoms she had. She was unable to walk and I was definately unable to carry her and was forced to call an ambulance.

They showed up, explained the situation and they took her. The Ambulance driver didn't seem to be all that concerned, and frankly, neither was I, but I knew she needed to go to the ER.

I beat them to the hospital (even after gathering all her medication information), thanked the gentlemen and they went on their way. Turns out she had a massive infection that required a stay for 3 weeks.

Sometimes it's all a matter of circumstance why people call you.

on the other extreme, I drove myself to the ER when I couldn't breathe. My doctor (and girlfriend) gave me all sorts of hell for that. but that's another story.

In regards to the immigration thing, it's no big deal. We're not an expert on all subjects, but one must be civil in our debates. In case you haven't noticed, most of us love a nice little debate. :D

Ricco

I may seem stuborn over the premise, but I doubt German firefighters or Japanese Friefighters are required to learn english for their illegal immigrant situation. Wait...oh right, they don't have this problem.

Actually, they do. Illegal immigration isn't a purely American phenomenon. Many developed countries around the world are in exactly the same boat we are.

In Austria, it's all about the Turks. They have the same debates about the Turkish immigrants that we have about the Mexicans.

In France, it's the people from North Africa, and Central Europe.

In Germany it's East v. West, the Poles, and the Czechs, though this is lessening these days.

In Japan it's the Chinese.

All of the issues raised here about paying for immigrant healthcare, education, employment, language, etc... are being had by other countries. To date, no one has found a firm solution.

I seem to remember a hispanic who walked to a HFD station complaining of stomach pains. He was turned away twice. Anybody remember what happened to him? Speaking of fire engines. Always thought it was a waste of tax payer's money for HFD to drive the fire engine over to Kroger on West Gray. Do you really need a fire engine and four HFD employees to shop for groceries when things are so busy? Didn't think so.

I seem to remember a hispanic who walked to a HFD station complaining of stomach pains. He was turned away twice. Anybody remember what happened to him? Speaking of fire engines. Always thought it was a waste of tax payer's money for HFD to drive the fire engine over to Kroger on West Gray. Do you really need a fire engine and four HFD employees to shop for groceries when things are so busy? Didn't think so.

I seem to recall the story you're talking about. He went to the fire department twice complaining of stomach pains, and both times was turned away. I think he died of a hemorrhage or something. I'll try to find the details.

Found it:

------------

Paper: Houston Chronicle

Date: FRI 07/07/00

Section: A

Page: 1

Edition: 3 STAR

Dead boy's family says firefightersignored his pleas

By JERRY URBAN

Staff

The city Office of Inspector General will investigate allegations that firefighters at an east Houston fire station ignored repeated requests for medical assistance from a 12-year-old boy, who died hours later.

Daniel Lopez walked to Fire Station 18 at Lockwood and Telephone three times on June 17 complaining of stomach , chest and back pains , his family said, but each time the firefighters failed to directly assist him.

Family members later took him to Ben Taub Hospital, where he died of an aortic aneurysm.

Fire Chief Lester Tyra emphasized Thursday that it's department policy to respond to anyone who goes to a station seeking medical attention.

If firefighters are found negligent in Daniel's case, "we will take swift, appropriate disciplinary action," Tyra said.

Even if there was no obvious serious illness, he said, the child should have been checked out and vital signs taken. If the station's EMS vehicle was out on a call, another ambulance could have been reached by contacting dispatchers, Tyra added.

Yesenia Escobar, 21, Daniel's sister, said the boy went to the station three times with adult family members that afternoon.

The first visit was at about 3 :30 p.m., she said. Daniel vomited in front of the firefighters, who told him he apparently had a stomach virus and suggested he go home and take a cold bath, Escobar said. On the second trip, after he took a bath, the boy complained of chest and back pain, said Escobar, who wasn't with Daniel at the station.

An accompanying adult heard the boy tell firefighters, "Please help," Escobar said. They told her brother to go home and rest, she said.

On the third visit, she said, family members requested that the boy be taken by ambulance to a hospital, but the station's only ambulance was apparently out on a call.

The firefighters then suggested the family transport the boy to the hospital because the ambulance wouldn't be available for 30 minutes and the family would have to pay an ambulance fee, Escobar said.

Firefighters never checked the boy's vital signs or examined him carefully, she added.

Daniel went back to Escobar's apartment, where he had been living, about 5:30 p.m.

Escobar said she and her husband had just arrived home from work and he immediately took the boy to Ben Taub, where he died about 8:15 p.m.

"His artery just exploded," she said. "They (firefighters) should have called an ambulance."

Escobar said the family has contacted a lawyer.

Councilman Orlando Sanchez plans to meet with the boy's family today.

"I was devastated by this," he said. "Somebody with the city should meet with them. . . . I want to relay condolences on behalf of the city."

Sanchez said he has heard some disturbing reports lately involving the Hispanic community.

He said he was told that a Hispanic woman had a miscarriage while waiting six hours at a local public hospital for assistance until an interpreter was available.

"For years, I have said there is a problem with Houston's fire department," Sanchez added. "Not the men and women in uniform, but the lack of priorities, funding, staffing and ambulances. I just pray that those facts didn't contribute to young Daniel's death."

While we're on the topic:

-------------

Paper: Houston Chronicle

Date: SAT 02/03/01

Section: A

Page: 34

Edition: 3 STAR

Two firefighters fired for alleged grocery drop

Staff

Two Houston firefighters have been fired for allegedly dropping off groceries at a northeast fire station while a patient remained in their ambulance.

Leonard Robinson and John Englehardt, both 29, were fired Monday by acting Houston Fire Department Chief Chris Connealy.

They are accused of dropping the groceries off on Aug. 6 at Station 56 in the 5800 block of East Little York.

The patient was picked up outside a convenience store in the 11300 block of Homestead Road.

Further details about the incident were not available from the Fire Department.

However, both men, who could not be reached for comment, have given official notice that they are appealing the firings.

The firings are the latest in a long line of disciplinary actions taken during the past year against firefighters accused of failing to follow departmental procedures.

On June 10, Jose Ruiz, 35, died after paramedics went to his house but did not transport him to a hospital by ambulance.

In July, then-Fire Chief Lester Tyra fired the two firefighters, Donna Golden and Donald Mauro, who handled the Ruiz call.

On June 17, Daniel Lopez , 12, and his relatives sought help at Fire Station 18 three times. Relatives said paramedics did not thoroughly examine Daniel . He died of an aortic aneurysm after his family rushed him to Ben Taub Hospital.

Firefighter Sergio Lopez was fired in July, but an independent arbitrator ruled in September that his termination was severe and ordered his reinstatement.

In August, a 20-year Fire Department veteran ambulance driver was fired after he stopped for doughnuts en route to the hospital with a patient.

Larry A. Wesley, 49, based at Fire Station 35 off Martin Luther King Boulevard, was transporting a youth to Ben Taub Hospital when he stopped at a Shipley's Donuts shop.

The incidents were among numerous Fire Department problems that became public over the summer and led to Tyra's reassignment. He is now a district chief.

"(have you ever seen cop get up from a half eaten meal and run out of the restaurant? nope...),"

When I worked in a downtown restaurant we had many police officers come in every day; motorcycle cops, cops on horseback and those in patrol cars. Many times they got calls and threw some money on the table and ran out the door. And we gave 50% discounts to police officers and firefighters and EMT's as long as they were in a uniform of some kind. Maybe you just don't know where to eat... just kidding!

On a related note, we have volunteer firefighters in the northern parts of Harris County. Is it true that they really don't make any money at this at all, because they sure do work hard and often out here. I had heard that only the driver or chauffeur makes any money. Is this true?

We really do appreciate all your hard work as well and thank you for your untiring service to the city, no matter how thankless the city may seem. You put your life on the line every time the bell sounds, something most of us will never have to experience or get the chance to experience. Plus, you are living what is surely the dream job of every little boy out there; "to be a fireman". Lucky you!

Please don't attack me for saying this, but I have never understood why some restaurants feel they should give discounts to police officers. I don't understand why the special treatment for people in one occupation and not others? I mean, teachers are way overworked and underpaid too but they don't get those discounts usually. At my last job I once calculated my hourly rate for a period when I was traveling extensively doing work for clients and handling a bunch of internal business for the company and I was making below the minimum wage and so exhausted I ended up with a serious infection. But nobody gave a discount.

That said I do have great respect and appreciation for firefighters, police, EMTs, and others who serve the public in those ways. I've never questioned seeing the firetruck at the grocery store and firefighters shopping because I knew they had the truck there in case there was a call. What I do question is the time I saw a fire truck turn on its lights to go around cars and run a red light, only to turn into the Kroger parking lot, turn the flashing lights off, and park in a regular space and go inside to buy groceries. I've seen many cops do this to avoid sitting at red lights. That really makes me mad. If you aren't on an emergency call, you shouldn't have the lights and siren on. I don't care if you're impatient and don't want to sit through a light in traffic with the rest of us. Fortunately I know most firefighters and police officers don't do stuff like this but it angers me when I see those who are abusive of their power.

Please don't attack me for saying this, but I have never understood why some restaurants feel they should give discounts to police officers. I don't understand why the special treatment for people in one occupation and not others?

I'll take a guess and assume that business owners feel safer when officers are in their places of business and hope to lure them with discounts?

I'll take a guess and assume that business owners feel safer when officers are in their places of business and hope to lure them with discounts?

This is especially true for convenience stores, since they are a common target for robbers, and because they have coffee which is cheap to make so giving free coffee to cops doesn't really hurt the bottom line.

• 4 months later...
your arrogance and/or ignorance is disgusting

how do you know for a fact that the majority of hispanics in the houston community are illegal, what if i told you most of them were here legally?

better yet lets say they are here illegally, why do you think they are here in the first place?

because the american factories in mexico pay them little to nothing

More than what they make at Mexican companies is it not????  Oh but let's not go there and implicate the Mexican government's hand in their own people's oppression.  We wouldn't want to rock the boat on the bashing of the USA.

what do you consider to be a "real american"

do i have to be a WASP(white anglo saxon protestant)?

and believe everything that is fed to me via radio and tv

if that were the case id be some yuppy wearing Abercrombie and delicate flower

listening to creed

may i remind you that a majority if not all americans were "illegal immigrants" at one time, even your family probably

Most European Americans (and other nationalities which most of us descended from) came here and went through the nationalization process.  Most of the Mexican immigrants who are sneaking across the border are not.  They don't pay taxes and they are getting free medical care.  Helrooooo!!!

So you are saying that if we had these businesses having to pay at least minimum wage that our economy would fail.  Our economy is failing right now because these illegal immigrants are one of the many things sucking it dry.  Wake up and stop watching propaganda videos

Actually, this doesn't seem to be discussing radio at all. One more time - if you want to talk about illegal immigration or similar topics, take it to "Way Off Topic" please. Closing this one since the original topic has been long gone.

Archived