Good news!

SomethingThat I find interesting is the fact that despite the big construction boom slowly coming to an end,

we are continuing to see new condo and mixed use projects still being announced and some developed.

In the old days a boom would just come to a screeching halt and nothing else would be built until the next cycle. 

This time there seems to be a consistent growth albeit much smaller than our last boom, but very nice to see.

The city seems to have overcome two major hurdles in this current cycle. The downturn of the oil business and the over development of apartments.

Maybe this last flood has given mor people reason to move into high rises.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:01 PM, bobruss said:

Good news!

SomethingThat I find interesting is the fact that despite the big construction boom slowly coming to an end,

we are continuing to see new condo and mixed use projects still being announced and some developed.

In the old days a boom would just come to a screeching halt and nothing else would be built until the next cycle. 

This time there seems to be a consistent growth albeit much smaller than our last boom, but very nice to see.

The city seems to have overcome two major hurdles in this current cycle. The downturn of the oil business and the over development of apartments.

Maybe this last flood has given mor people reason to move into high rises.

There is a global boom in real estate, due to rich people needing a place to put their money that promises growth. Same reason the stock market's growing despite so-so economic times. Combine that with a massive increase in the wealth of the wealthiest (over 1,500 billionaires in the world now) and it is a good time for real estate.

• Like 3

The global boom in real estate is also driven by folks who need to get their money out of its native currency.  Asset appreciation is not especially important.  Even losing some money isn’t important.  What is important is having a tangible asset that is priced in a few stable currencies.

if you are a Russian or Chinese billionaire  who has executed Balzac perfectly: 

“Behind every great fortune lies a great crime”, 

Then, getting your money out of Rubbles or RMB and into a tangible asset priced in dollars (or pounds) is very important.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

The global boom in real estate is also driven by folks who need to get their money out of its native currency.  Asset appreciation is not especially important.  Even losing some money isn’t important.  What is important is having a tangible asset that is priced in a few stable currencies.

if you are a Russian or Chinese billionaire  who has executed Balzac perfectly: 

“Behind every great fortune lies a great crime”, 

Then, getting your money out of Rubbles or RMB and into a tangible asset priced in dollars (or pounds) is very important.

What I've never understood is why they can't just put that money in a foreign bank account, if their only concern is to get it out of the country. I guess it can more easily be seized or frozen that way? Or is it just that it's not appreciating as much?

7 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

What I've never understood is why they can't just put that money in a foreign bank account, if their only concern is to get it out of the country. I guess it can more easily be seized or frozen that way? Or is it just that it's not appreciating as much?

Given that I have $12 to my name, international money transfers are not my forte.  That said, there are a host of international money laundering treaties/restrictions, reporting of foreign bank accounts, etc as well as “foreign currency” transaction restrictions (China) that likely play a role.  

That said, I read somewhere that countries — UK I think (US too?) are requiring a host of disclosures on foreign real estate buyers since governments see what is going on —- a significant amount of this is not “free flow of capital” but “laundering” and some are cracking down.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We can expect more residential high-rises from Weingarten.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/11/01/weingarten-ceo-i-could-see-us-developing-several.html

Houston-based Weingarten Realty Investors' first high-rise residential tower doesn't break ground for another five months, but its CEO is already looking toward developing more multifamily projects in Houston.

I could see several more towers over ... an extended period of time," Alexander said. "The only thing that we would do (other) than retail development is densify our properties."

Alexander said the company has mulled the possibility of adding a residential component to its Trader Joe's-anchored Alabama Shepherd Shopping Center, but that the project wouldn't make sense "for a whole bunch of reasons." Weingarten has also explored adding residential to its Centre at Post Oak retail center that offers a Nordstrom Rack, Old Navy and Morton's Steakhouse. Some things would have to line up at that property, Alexander said, but adding residential is certainly a possibility.

Weingarten's Stella Link Shopping Center near the Texas Medical Center also lends itself to residential, too, he said.

"Over an extended period of time, I think we continue to densify," Alexander said.

Weingarten would only develop residential projects that connect to its existing retail projects, he said, in-part due to the fact that the company is publicly traded.

• Like 7

They've kicked around densifying their Post Oak property for quite a while... had a friend do some work for them on it at least 7-8 yrs ago, maybe 10. Glad they don't think their TJ property on west bama/shepherd is a candidate... a large redevelopment and subsequent high rise would be a nightmare there. 

Did we we know they bought the chase bank building site on west gray next to Krogers? 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to River Oaks Shopping Center
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Till I can figure out how to place pics on here with my iPad (my desktop is acting) I’ll just say there were 6 pieces of equipment on site but not much has changed. Some of the equipment belonged to North Houston Powerline so they may just be running power to the site before they can really get started.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 9:29 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

This shopping center had a fire a few days ago. Does this effect the planned tower at all?

I wouldn’t think so. The fire was not near this construction site. It was across the street and a block West.

• Like 1