I am starting to wonder about Berryhill's. They seemed to have expanded very quickly. They went from 2 or 3 stores a few years back to somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 stores. My wife and I ate at one (Westhiemer @ Kirkwood) yesterday and were basically the onle people in there. It was 12:30 on a Sunday. You would think there would be more of a crowd !!!

I have eaten at other locations that have been packed. The Post Oak location does a huge lunch and the Montrose location is a huge Sunday Brunch hangout. I guess I am wondering if they have expanded too much.

Two other Houston chains come to mind - Antoines and Ninfas. Both of these eateries had years of success. They they went nuts and overexpanded. Both went through financial problems and ownership changed, stores closed, and the brand was threatened because of it. Anyone think that Berryhill's is headed for a similar fate.

I looked at the site and they have 10 Houston Area stores and it appears they are Franchising the concept. This may or may not be new for them. Who know's maybe it will become huge ????

I do like the food, although the Tamales are not as good as they once were 3-4 years ago when I first discoverd the palce.

The only time I go to Berryhill's is every once in a while for $1.99 Monday fish tacos, they also have a .99 tamale special but I don't know what night that is... their quality dropped after expanding from the Revere/Westheimer location and it hasn't been the same since. I had numerous bad experiences at the Revere location and the Post Oak location. Their fried fish tacos used to be the absolute end all, be all of fried fish tacos... now it's really hit or miss. So sad, cause they used to be really good.

As far as Antones franchising, that was a horrible thing to do. The quality of the franchised locations don't come anywhere near the quality of the last couple of remaining original Antones. The only Antones I eat at are the one in Rice Village and the one on Bellaire, all others are chain/franchised and they just don't follow the same recipes as the original locations.

Tsk tsk...

As far as Antones franchising, that was a horrible thing to do. The quality of the franchised locations don't come anywhere near the quality of the last couple of remaining original Antones. The only Antones I eat at are the one in Rice Village and the one on Bellaire, all others are chain/franchised and they just don't follow the same recipes as the original locations.

Tsk tsk...

There was an Antones by me. One day it was called Anthony's. They still make the same stuff (not so good knock off of the original). Totally weird.

I agree. The Village location is the best.

The only time I go to Berryhill's is every once in a while for $1.99 Monday fish tacos, they also have a .99 tamale special but I don't know what night that is... their quality dropped after expanding from the Revere/Westheimer location and it hasn't been the same since. I had numerous bad experiences at the Revere location and the Post Oak location. Their fried fish tacos used to be the absolute end all, be all of fried fish tacos... now it's really hit or miss. So sad, cause they used to be really good.

Tsk tsk...

i have to agree with you on the antone's. most of their locations are really lame and the sandwhiches used to be stuffed with meats, and cheese, and now barely seem to have any, and are usually pre-wrapped ... the sauce used to be incredible, now it is so little on the sandwhiches, i wonder if center for science in the public interest has gotten ahold of their hi-fat recipes.

i can't talk much about berry hill, but i can say that the 2 times i had their food (once was take away that someone brought me, and the other was in restaurant) i was not impressed AT ALL. the food was bland and nondescript. i couldn't understand what all the raves were about.

i have to agree with you on the antone's. most of their locations are really lame and the sandwhiches used to be stuffed with meats, and cheese, and now barely seem to have any, and are usually pre-wrapped ... the sauce used to be incredible, now it is so little on the sandwhiches, i wonder if center for science in the public interest has gotten ahold of their hi-fat recipes.

i can't talk much about berry hill, but i can say that the 2 times i had their food (once was take away that someone brought me, and the other was in restaurant) i was not impressed AT ALL. the food was bland and nondescript. i couldn't understand what all the raves were about.

I used to love their tamales. They were so good and moist. Now they are mass produced and not so good. I do love the Original Fish Tach (fried fish) but it can be hit or miss. Like anything Berryhill is good every month or so, but beyond that is too much.

We used to love Berryhills. We would always get a couple of Atkins plates, take them home and pretty them up. It was a great mid-week meal but no more.

We both love tamales and get them from our lady friend next door or from the joint at 11th and Studewood.

Sorry to say, no more Berryhills for us. :(

B)

We used to love Berryhills. We would always get a couple of Atkins plates, take them home and pretty them up. It was a great mid-week meal but no more.

We both love tamales and get them from our lady friend next door or from the joint at 11th and Studewood.

Sorry to say, no more Berryhills for us. :(

B)

It sounds like the expansion of the concept might have something to do with this. By expanding to 10 stores in a matter of 2-3 years they have lost some of the charm, but mostly from the posts above it sounds like they have lost some of the taste and quality. Other concepts should be weary of this issue. We have seen it with Antones, Ninfas, Carrabas, and now Berryhill's.

I totally disagree! I love Berryhill's, think their tamales are the best and are as good as they have always been, and I was eating at the Galleria location long before I ever ate at the Kirkwood one. I guess it is a subjective thing. I have also eaten at the Woodlands one and it was just as yummy!

• 11 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Surprise, Berryhill Baja Grill - Montrose, closed last night, and no one noticed...

Open since March 15, 2006, the restaurant was owned by an independent franchise owner, thus not operated or controlled by the Berryhill Corporation. The lease on the restaurant space was held by the franchisee, and the circumstances that led to the decision to close the business did not involve the Berryhill Corporation. There are no future plans by Berryhill at this location.

• 1 year later...

Archived