worst local commercial?

torvald

i used to think it was chair king, then i knew it was camera exchange

with some of the same girls from chair king. now i know...

the magic cauldron on montrose

have you seen that commercial? every time it comes on, i think of

a random tourist in a hotel room seeing it and thinking, wow,

houston is really lame.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my vote is for any Hilton Furniture commercial... and that's a fact, jack.

The dude named his daughter, Paris, for christs sake.... :rolleyes:

Remember the whole thunderbolt transmission commercials. "We put the Eyyy Haw back in your motor and transmission."

c&d scrap metal... i still don't know how they can afford to make commercials. scrap metal sells well?

OH YES it does. copper has skyrocketed the last few yrs. that's why we're having a rush on a/c units here. people are stealing the copper lines,etc. since 2003 the cost of a roll of 12 gauge electrical wire has doubled.

Well the commercials in lubbock make houstons commercials look like major productions. but any of those hilton commercials...ahh i wanna take his chainsaw and use it on my tv

There's a local record store up here called Ralph's Records, and they have a series of commercials parodying the Wizard of Oz. They're absolutely AWFUL.

BTW, I like those Thunderbolt Transmission commercials.

the worst ones to me aren't the hokey little local ones, but those Burger King commercials. Is it just me or does anyone else find them.......odd?

First there is the one where the guy opens his bedroom curtain to find "the King" lurking right outside his bedroom window.

Um....okay. Creeps me out, but if it sells sandwiches... I am just trying to picture the advertising meeting where they pitched that idea. Probably almost as interesting as when they pitched the idea of having a commercial open with a close up shot of the King reaching down between the football players leg.

Now we are treated to one where the King wakes up with a construction worker in his bed. So what does he do next? Gives him breakfast of course. What next? Cab fare? Is there an Indian, police man & sailor in the crowd too? Is that a pillow fight that ensues or a bad rendition of "Y-M-C-A"?

i used to think it was chair king, then i knew it was camera exchange

with some of the same girls from chair king. now i know...

the magic cauldron on montrose

have you seen that commercial? every time it comes on, i think of

a random tourist in a hotel room seeing it and thinking, wow,

houston is really lame.

Yeah, that particular one is really really bad.

From the perspective of someone who never lived in Houston until after high school, but visited frequently because of family in the area, I remember being entranced by the hokie local ones throughout the 90's. There was something about them that reflected a twisted and exaggerated aura of local culture.

I can still remember watching Houston's TV stations from various locales (Bacliff, Alvin, Friendswood, Westchase, Pearland) and absorbing the experience. Its kind of like listening to folk music. You know that the guy singing it hasn't gone through so many experiences about hearbreak, and that its all being exaggerated to absurdity along a theme, but it still makes an impression. The impression I had was positive; it reflected a sort of unrefined energy and dynamism.

OH YES it does. copper has skyrocketed the last few yrs. that's why we're having a rush on a/c units here. people are stealing the copper lines,etc. since 2003 the cost of a roll of 12 gauge electrical wire has doubled.

i had a fella strip my shortwave radio antenna that was mounted outside

on my second story window, when i lived downtown. i found the husk of

my homemade gem on the ground, sans the wire. got a fancy indoor

one after that (which didn't work as well). :closedeyes:

"Where low prices live!"

Another retarded furniture commercial with that man and his three kids. I HATE it! I HAAATE IT!!!

"(singing) Terry Vaughn RV ... In Alvin, Houston and Spraang (Spring)."

"The fun never stops (come and get it), the fun never stops at Kemah Boardwalk."

Ugh!

I like the Kemah Boardwalk commercial better with the "Food and fun is all I've ever wanted...."

It's not much of an improvement and it's one of corniest things I've ever heard, but it's a catchier, happy tune and it sounded better than the other. They played it for a little while and now they're back with that rubbish mentioned above. It's the lesser of the two Kemah commercial jingle evils. I miss it. Ok, I'll just say it, I liked it. Why should I be ashamed.

Kemah Boardwalk commercials are hideous.

Hilton Furniture.

Any car dealership commercial where the ego of the manager is so big, that not only does he think HE should star in the commerical, but so should his wife and/or kids--and all of them have speaking parts! OH LORD NO! :lol:

That furniture store where some dude is flying in yellow spandex with a red cape. Shyeah. LOSER!

That's all I can think of for now!!

Jim Adler comercials are pretty aweful :angry2: . Jim Adler in Spanish is really bad, nobody has a clue what he says in Spanish comercials. At least Matress Mack learned and now he has fluent speakers doing his comercials.

Growing up I swore I would tell off Jim Adler if I ever saw him in person, I would beg him to stop making those annoying comercials. I met Jim Adler several times because he worked at the same building I did out in the Galleria area. I couldn't do it though that would just be too mean :blush:

At least we no longer have Father Amco. Haven't seen much from Rodney D. Young lately either. Or maybe they are still around and I just don't see them since I'm not home to watch the local stations much.

Right now I think Hilton Furniture, and the copycat Exclusive Furniture, ads are the worst. Who actually buys furniture because of those ads?

At least we no longer have Father Amco. Haven't seen much from Rodney D. Young lately either. Or maybe they are still around and I just don't see them since I'm not home to watch the local stations much.

Right now I think Hilton Furniture, and the copycat Exclusive Furniture, ads are the worst. Who actually buys furniture because of those ads?

The point of commercials is not to make sense, but to grab attention.

If you need furniture, there are only a very few names that will come to mind. For me, its Star, Gallery, Ikea, and Hilton. If I weren't so anal about shopping around, as most people aren't, they'd probably gravitate to one of those that advertises effectives...most likely to the one that is most geographically convenient, although Ikea probably draws from a wider area.

Case in point: Vonage. It may be annoying as hell, but it sure as hell gets their name across. You will ALWAYS know what they sell, even if you know of no other company that does.

I like the Kemah Boardwalk commercial better with the "Food and fun is all I've ever wanted...."

It's not much of an improvement and it's one of corniest things I've ever heard, but it's a catchier, happy tune and it sounded better than the other. They played it for a little while and now they're back with that rubbish mentioned above.

Maybe the Go-Go's threatened a lawsuit, that jingle was suspiciously similiar to "Vacation".

The point of commercials is not to make sense, but to grab attention.

Yes, but I would not shop at a place like Hilton Furniture because of its ads. Sure I'll think of it if I'm making a list of furniture stores, but their ads would never get me to set foot in the store. Advertising not only has to get attention but also make the buyer want to go buy something from the advertiser. And there are ways to grab attention without destroying your store's inventory with a chainsaw or showing off your fertility by parading your screaming kids all over the ads.

Granted, I'm definitely not in the demographic that Hilton or Exclusive Furniture is trying to reach. These places are still in business so obviously the ads must be positively reaching a certain consumer segment.

Yes, but I would not shop at a place like Hilton Furniture because of its ads. Sure I'll think of it if I'm making a list of furniture stores, but their ads would never get me to set foot in the store. Advertising not only has to get attention but also make the buyer want to go buy something from the advertiser. And there are ways to grab attention without destroying your store's inventory with a chainsaw or showing off your fertility by parading your screaming kids all over the ads.

Granted, I'm definitely not in the demographic that Hilton or Exclusive Furniture is trying to reach. These places are still in business so obviously the ads must be positively reaching a certain consumer segment.

Well to some extent you're right.

But what if you just moved into a new place and Hilton Furniture was only a mile or so down the road? You'd know who they are...and I'd bet that that would be more important to most people than dealing with the uncertainty of a smaller neighborhood outlet with less choices. Familiarity, even with weird people, is what will bring in customers. Better the devil you know...

Nah, I don't think it sounded like "Vacation". But now that you mentioned it, the Go-Go's very well could have recorded it. It is very Go-Go.

The Go-Go's didnt' record it, however compare:

"Vacation's all I ever wanted"

to

"Food and Fun is all I've ever wanted"

Melody wise "Vacation" descends a few notes and "Food and Fun" rides a single pitch then jumps up for "all" - they basically reversed the notes - and then the "all I ever wanted" bit is the same, not to mention to tempo and rhythm of the piece. It's obviously a re-write of Vacation in the same style. I used to play that tune in some dippy local band and it stuck out to me immediately. Record labels have sued for less similar songs, though I think Kemah probably changed it around just enough to skirt a lawsuit.

Most infuriating local ad (for me) has to be Lone Star Chevy, where that drawling dip in the cowboy hat scowls, points his finger at me and growls "It's the LAW!"

No, it's not the law, you lyin' little fake sheriff. Stop claiming it is.

Why would anyone buy a used car from this man?

Remember the whole thunderbolt transmission commercials. "We put the Eyyy Haw back in your motor and transmission."

:lol::lol::lol: YEA, THUNDERBOLT!!

Dude, the day after I came back home last week, some friends and I went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch. We were watching ch. 2 news during our meal. As we were finishing our lunch, that Hilton furniture dude popped up with a thunderous "OOOOOOHHHH", and I almost choked on my fortune cookie

Someone mentioned his daughter's named Paris? I can picture a "Paris Hilton Furniture" in Houston :lol:

The worst local commercials to me are the lawyer/insurance company commercials :lol: "I'm Jim Adler, the Tough, Smart, Texas Hammer Lawyer Dude" or something like that. Or "Tell them you mean business", or "Back to work...but doctor he's dead! Like Doodie" :lol:

OH, what about that dude from Tex Star Motors?! Used t see him going nutz on English AND Spanish tv :lol:

I saw one today on a billboard. It is visible when driving eastbound along I-10 in the general Heights Blvd. / Studemont area. I think they were trying to sell flooring or countertops or something along those lines. It pictures a woman with some unnatural glistening to her skin with her mouth gaping open as though deriving some strange orgasmic satisfaction from her countertop/flooring/whatever. I tried to imitate the pose, just to see how twisted all the little muscles in her face had to have been...she must've aged five years in the face for that photo shoot to have pulled off that peice of crap.

I saw one today on a billboard. It is visible when driving eastbound along I-10 in the general Heights Blvd. / Studemont area. I think they were trying to sell flooring or countertops or something along those lines. It pictures a woman with some unnatural glistening to her skin with her mouth gaping open as though deriving some strange orgasmic satisfaction from her countertop/flooring/whatever. I tried to imitate the pose, just to see how twisted all the little muscles in her face had to have been...she must've aged five years in the face for that photo shoot to have pulled off that peice of crap.

I've seen that one many times and thought the same thing. Clearly, it is aimed at a specific demographic (the one that has a sexual relationship with her countertop), because I merely gag whenever I see it.

BTW, what the hell IS Kona Beige?

I've seen that one many times and thought the same thing. Clearly, it is aimed at a specific demographic (the one that has a sexual relationship with her countertop), because I merely gag whenever I see it.

BTW, what the hell IS Kona Beige?

I agree. That one just kinda creeps me out. And, I have no clue what Kona Beige is. Maybe there is a dancer on the counterop named Kona Beige and we just can't see him. :blush:

Archived