Wow this is going to be awesome!! That is painful that it won't be completed until 2009 but then this thing sounds like it's going to be massive and well designed. I hope some of the other strip centers on San Felipe decide to take the same route and build mix-use developments on their current locations. Are they still planning on building rail along San Felipe? It think that would help ease some of the traffic concerns.

Okay, I know the article said they're trying to retain existing retailers, but what are the chances they'd actually be able to keep Eatzi's? I love the place and wouldn't want them to move too far, like out to freaking West Houson or something, but I don't know if they'd want to be next to a Whole Foods Flagship. Maybe they could be part of the High Street Project?

The goal, Wulfe said, is to retain existing retailers, including Cafe Annie, Americas, Eatzi's and Hermes. The project will be phased in to accommodate existing businesses and they will have no down time, he said.
Edited by Jeebus

• 1 month later...
This project is going to go up.. No Doubt about it.. Atleast from what I hear =)

It will not be overnight, but I agree. Wulfe is going to make this happen. With all the high profile tenants (Eatzi's, Cafe Annies, Americas, Hunans) it is going to take a good plan to keep those guys happy. Of course with Whole foods supposedely anchoring a new development Eatzi's mght just be screwed.

so to expand s post oak to ambassador way they have to tear down both 5050 ambassador way (a luxury mid-rise) and they have to tear up St Michael's Catholic Church's backyard. I really dont think they can do either. The project is likely dead until they get a new rendering.

so to expand s post oak to ambassador way they have to tear down both 5050 ambassador way (a luxury mid-rise) and they have to tear up St Michael's Catholic Church's backyard. I really dont think they can do either. The project is likely dead until they get a new rendering.

Post Oak Lane is well to the east of both of those properties. Should not be a problem at all. (I'm guessing Mr. Wulfe has already looked at his maps and figured this out.)

Edited by Houston19514

hopefully this is the case. I just looked at the map, but wulfe has been trying to force sales in 5050 ambassador way. I believe he wants to tear it down for blvd place to commence. St Michael's backyard is right on the property so that may cause even more problem over construction. Hopefully, they can just revitalize the Eatzi's center and the old Sak's center without tearing everything down and causing harm to St Micael's and 5050 ambassador way.

I just want construction to start on city centre

i live two blocks west of post oak and between this, the BRT route along post oak and the development over at the westcreek/ central ford sites, the traffic is going to suck with a capital "S".

Metro had an open house at the Apache building yesterday and the rep told me that the "GRT (Guided Rapid Transit)" line on Post Oak would begin construction in July 2007. According to him that is well ahead of groundbreaking on the Richmond line. I didn't realize that the Post Oak line would be so soon. I also didn't realize that the path it will take will travel in the middle of 610 from the NW park and ride lot to Post Oak where it will veer off the freeway and follow Post Oak the rest of the way to just past 59.

s post lane is east of ambassador. I saw the map, but St Michael's backyard (bazaar area) sits directly west of the center now. also, Wulfe has been in talks with 5050 Ambassador in order to get them to sell but the residents will not, but nothing more has been said to them. both St Michael's and 5050 are watching the project closely.

s post lane is east of ambassador. I saw the map, but St Michael's backyard (bazaar area) sits directly west of the center now. also, Wulfe has been in talks with 5050 Ambassador in order to get them to sell but the residents will not, but nothing more has been said to them. both St Michael's and 5050 are watching the project closely.

So...?? There are other properties adjoining the site as well. As there almost always are with every development in every city. What is your point?

st michael's will want to have some creative control over the project like every church wants in every project around town. (well at least every well recognized catholic church)

my primary concern is the displacement of 5050 ambassador way residents (hopefully it will not happen)

but wulfe needs pay for his newly acquired $3 mil house in memorial

See this Uptown Houston map, it shows that 5050 Ambassador is not included in the BLVD Place plan nor does the proposed connection of South Post Oak Lane with Ambassadors Way go thru this property (see below).

With or without 5050 Ambassador's Way, I think BLVD Place will commence on schedule. It doesn't appear that any of their plans hinge on this property.

maps-Networking.gif

• 1 month later...

A poster on the Woodland Heights BB posted this. She found it on a google news search. I didn't find any other posts about it (no way can I be the first on here to know something!!!), but there were a few topics about activity in the Galleria area...

...Local developer Wulfe & Co. announced Thursday that 21 acres of prime Galleria-area land will become a major mixed-use site for retail, office, hotel and condominiums, anchored by Houston's flagship Whole Foods Market.

Located at Post Oak Boulevard and San Felipe, it will be called BLVD Place (pronounced "Boulevard Place").

The project is set to break ground at the end of this year and open in 2009, with parts opening much sooner.

The project's plan boasts 600,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and boutique office space, as well as 800 residential high-rise units and a luxury hotel/condominium with 300 hotel rooms and 80 condos.

..."BLVD Place is perhaps the most significant new development in the area since the Galleria, and 21 acres is about as big as the original Galleria," Breeding said.

David Crossley, president of the Gulf Coast Institute, a nonprofit group promoting quality of life issues, thinks the project's impact will be significant.

"As a very large urban mixed-use project, it may become a model for future developments in Houston," he said. "It will add more urbanity to the western part of Houston, which should be interesting."

Landing Whole Foods as the anchor is a coup, said Howard Davidowitz, chairman of Davidowitz & Associates, a national retail consulting and investment banking firm in New York City.

Getting a 80,000-square-foot Whole Foods flagship store is "gigantic," Davidowitz said. "It almost guarantees the success of the entire project."

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AFAIK, they're going to reopen in the BLVD place project.

(from what I heard in the Video on Wulfe's website)

"Every attempt is being made to maintain the well known retailers in the center, including Eatzi's"

Edited by UrbaNerd