BLVD Place Mixed-Use: 1700 Post Oak Blvd & Upcoming Development At 1800 Post Oak Blvd.

Subdude

True Food Kitchen in the new BLVD Place opens July 29th...they have a job fair going on now! Also while i dont have a photo, they put the "Whole Foods Market" large letters/signage up in front of the building/on top of the entrance...really cant wait to have this open just a block north west of my office and a block south east of my apartment!

• Like 1

1920x1920.jpg

In December they will open a similar concept called Peska in BLVD Place in the Galleria/Uptown area.

When customers walk in to the upscale Peska, they will see a 16-foot-long ice case displaying fresh fish from around the world. A "seafood sommelier" will take them to the display and guide them through the market catches of the day, helping them pick fish for their meal.

The fresh fish on ice, unusual for an upscale Houston eatery, gives Peska what the restaurant world calls a point of difference.

"Within the last few years we've seen the Houston restaurant scene become transformed," Diego Ysita said, and in a city where dining standards are high, it helps to offer something a little different.

Emily Durham, president of Houston-based Restaurant Connections, a market consulting and real estate brokerage firm, agreed that a one-of-a-kind restaurant can have an advantage in Houston's highly competitive restaurant environment.

Ideally, she said, a new-to-market concept should be easy for the public to understand.

If it's so different that it needs explanation, it can be a challenge. For example, she said, restaurant customers had to be educated when tapas first came to Houston.

Sometimes an out-of-the-ordinary restaurant does best in a particular neighborhood, she said. For example, Underbelly is on Lower Westheimer in Montrose, home to a number of cutting-edge restaurants.

Underbelly - a farm-and-ranch-to-table restaurant with a butcher, in-house curing and more cuts of meats than most restaurants - might not thrive in every area, she said. Nothing may ever be completely new under the sun, of course, including Peska's fish display on ice.

For example, J&J Seafood in southwest Houston also has a fish market and kitchen, but it is more basic, and mostly a to-go operation.

Chris Tripoli, president of A'La Carte Foodservice Consulting Group, who helped tweak the Peska concept and provided operations assistance, had to venture outside Texas to find another high-end seafood market/restaurant and found one in Las Vegas, he said.

Peska will be more international than the La Traineras in Mexico, Tripoli said, and the menu will include Mediterranean, European and Latin American flavors. Fish will be flown in from places as distant as Italy, Spain or Alaska and as close as the Gulf of Mexico. Customers also will be able to order off the menu and to buy whole fish by the pound to go.

The 6,000-square-foot restaurant will be at the corner of San Felipe and Post Oak Lane in Phase 2 of BLVD Place, and have a bar and patio.

The Uptown/Galleria area has become a restaurant hub, said Ed Wulfe, chairman and CEO of Wulfe & Co., developer of BLVD Place.

"Restaurants bring energy to a retail center," he said.

Phase 1 of BLVD Place has two - RDG & Bar Annie and Table on Post Oak.

Phase 2, under construction, will have five restaurants, and Wulfe said Peska is among three that have been announced. The others are True Food Kitchen, opening at the end of July, and North, opening in late fall. Whole Foods Market also will open a grocery there in early fall.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/retail/article/Restaurant-hopes-to-hook-customers-with-5632132.php#/4

1920x1920.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

nice picture. is anyone else a little put off by the plain vanilla podium parking garages on buildings such as randall davis' cosmopolitan?  i realize that this is the norm, but i do see developers and architects going for a little less profit in exchange for good design, on occasion.  too bad davis isn't of the latter sort. his faux facades are a guilty pleasure of mine, i wish he would be all in or not at all.  it ruins the building for me; i wouldn't consider living in that building because i would hate parking in the ugly box my condo was resting on.  it would piss me off each time i came home.  does that make me shallow or just refined?  i guess the ugly box will be mostly unnoticed after all of the additional buildings are up; plant some pine trees or giant bamboo around that thing please.

with my rant out of the way; back to reality, we can expect more downsized or diminished designs with construction costs through the roof.  i think that the building industry is having difficulty getting things built on time, labor shortages, material availability,etc.  as long as constructions costs are high, design and flash will take a back seat. sad but true.

houston's transition to higher density is truly fascinating.  it would be interesting to see if there is photo documentation of the transition of manhattan island from single dwellings, to multi-storied buildings, to high and mid-rise.  the higher density transition taking place in and around the loop is a rapid cultural shift that may be quite significant historically.  houstonians will be a different breed altogether in 10-15 years.  it's amazing and fantastic....and we are documenting it here on haif.  haif will be a boon to anyone wanting to research houston's boom in the 2010s.  uptown is but one focal point of houston's rapidly changing city-scape.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I went to True Food Kitchen for brunch Sunday (really great place) and explored the BLVD Place building a bit. Holy cow they still have a lot of work to do, both on the Whole Foods and all the other surrounding stores. The enclosed area to the far left (as looking straight at the building from Post Oak; where the proposed Verizon is to go) still has dirt floors on the first level. I have no idea why they're taking so incredibly long to finish this place up, Wolfe is really dropping the ball.

Edited by richfish

interesting thing happened over the weekend...i went to the kirby Whole Foods and when checking out i mentioned to the clerk, "wow is the whole foods post oak ever going to open? i have been waiting years for that place it seems like as live a block away!" and his comment was "yeah its supposed to now open in november which cant come soon enough since our manager is transferring to that location and he is so evil we all cant wait to have him gone!"

DOH!

:blink:

• Like 1

I go to Whole Foods off Alabama every day.  I know 5 people that put in a transfer to the one off Post Oak.  They said it is taking longer because they are building there own brewery there.  They never mentioned the manager.   

A Whole Foods Brewery? Do you think an organic, vegan, all natural, free trade hangover hurts less than a regular one? If so sign me up!

• Like 1

interesting thing happened over the weekend...i went to the kirby Whole Foods and when checking out i mentioned to the clerk, "wow is the whole foods post oak ever going to open? i have been waiting years for that place it seems like as live a block away!" and his comment was "yeah its supposed to now open in november which cant come soon enough since our manager is transferring to that location and he is so evil we all cant wait to have him gone!"

DOH!

:blink:

wanted to say that last night i spoke to another employee that said..."i love our manager...the only time they are evil is when someone is lazy and doesnt do their job!"

haha...just wanted to add that ;)

and wow it looks like the inside of Whole Foods is coming along nicely and from what i can tell the layout is great and the staircase that goes up to the second floor hopefully leads to what will be an outdoor patio, at this point i cant tell and didnt notice a door going out to the part that overhangs the front of the building...stay tuned (or someone let me know if they know the answer)

i really want them to put some vegetation on the roof... that thing is going to be an inferno.  the trend of green roofs really needs to catch on here. for as hot as Houston gets, all this concrete creates a wicked heat island. i find it odd that this city doesn't do more to minimize the suns affects (greenery, shade, awnings, etc.)

• Like 3

i really want them to put some vegetation on the roof... that thing is going to be an inferno. the trend of green roofs really needs to catch on here. for as hot as Houston gets, all this concrete creates a wicked heat island. i find it odd that this city doesn't do more to minimize the suns affects (greenery, shade, awnings, etc.)

Couldn't have said it better myself... Not to mention green roofs minimize building cooling costs and storm water run off, which we have a problem with here..

We definitely need systems of horizontal Roman Shades or something over pedestrian friendly areas to make walking around in the heat less miserable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...