BLVD Place Mixed-Use: 1700 Post Oak Blvd & Upcoming Development At 1800 Post Oak Blvd.

Subdude

all these photos are blowing my mind!!! thank you everyone for sharing them! i love living 2 lights away and working 2 blocks away from all of this! also, again, after speaking with both The Counter and Whole Foods they are saying a late summer/approx August opening date...

• Like 1

Its nice. But why the hell is it surrounded by a mile of cement and not up to the sidewalk?

because people need to park? i get that everyone wants every development to come right up to the curb but that  just isn't all that feasible. what's kinda funny is that the flagship whole foods in austin has even more parking out front yet no one ever seems to complain about it.

• Like 1

because people need to park? i get that everyone wants every development to come right up to the curb but that  just isn't all that feasible. what's kinda funny is that the flagship whole foods in austin has even more parking out front yet no one ever seems to complain about it.

No one in Houston or no one in Austin?

That's true, I haven't heard of a single Austinite or anybody else complain about the parking lot at Whole Foods. But I heard and even said there are too many people there sometimes, and traffic coming in & going out can be hectic at times.

Edited by JoninATX

No one in Houston or no one in Austin?

both. i lived in austin when that was being completed and went there several days a week on my way home from work and not once did i think "argh i can't believe they put a parking lot out front... i want this right up to the curb!!!"

in fact, i LOVED the parking out front.... it made it ultra convenient and believe it or not finding a spot wasn't all that difficult most of the time.

both. i lived in austin when that was being completed and went there several days a week on my way home from work and not once did i think "argh i can't believe they put a parking lot out front... i want this right up to the curb!!!"

in fact, i LOVED the parking out front.... it made it ultra convenient and believe it or not finding a spot wasn't all that difficult most of the time.

You kind of went from saying "No one complains" to saying that you didn't complain when you were there.

Do you wish Waterloo music and all those other buildings around there had parking lots in front?  Would Congress maybe be better if the buildings were set back behind parking lots?

I used to live across the street from that Whole Foods in Austin. The traffic was ridiculous around there.  Painful.  The parking in front was nice for odd-hours trips.  Otherwise you could forget about finding a space to park.

I see nothing wrong with the parking lot in front of the on in BLVD place.  I mean it's not like it's out of place for the surrounding area. 

Building an oasis in the desert from scratch is hard to do. Uptown is not very pedestrian oriented to begin with so only baby steps can be made to direct the area towards a more pedestrian friendly area. To big a change would be risky as it might mean the access issues may result in a failed enterprise.

For now the parking is necessary.

You kind of went from saying "No one complains" to saying that you didn't complain when you were there.

Do you wish Waterloo music and all those other buildings around there had parking lots in front?  Would Congress maybe be better if the buildings were set back behind parking lots?

i never heard a single complaint from anyone i knew. if you're looking for a scientific poll about whether or not anybody at any point in time complained about it go conduct your own research. from my anecdotal experience from living there i never came across anyone who openly bemoaned the parking lot up front.

and do you mean the waterloo that does, in fact, have a parking lot out front (and to the side with direct entrance from lamar)? that waterloo? or do you mean all those other buildings like REI and the bookstore with huge parking lots up front? those types? cute that you compare what is still very much a suburban environment (houston uptown and lamar in ausitn) to the heart of the urban core where even if it was wanted - and believe me, from a business practicality standpoint, those business owners would LOVE some upfront parking - it couldn't fit.

i never heard a single complaint from anyone i knew. if you're looking for a scientific poll about whether or not anybody at any point in time complained about it go conduct your own research. from my anecdotal experience from living there i never came across anyone who openly bemoaned the parking lot up front.

and do you mean the waterloo that does, in fact, have a parking lot out front (and to the side with direct entrance from lamar)? that waterloo? or do you mean all those other buildings like REI and the bookstore with huge parking lots up front? those types? cute that you compare what is still very much a suburban environment (houston uptown and lamar in ausitn) to the heart of the urban core where even if it was wanted - and believe me, from a business practicality standpoint, those business owners would LOVE some upfront parking - it couldn't fit.

Now now swtsig, let's not get too heated here. You're right, there is a small parking strip in front of Waterloo, my error. I wouldn't really call either of these "suburban" environments, especially not Lamar Blvd. in Austin's core - I would rather say they're in a transitional period, "urbanizing" you might say. Some of us want them to urbanize more, and hence complain about setbacks for parking; other people I suppose want them to stay in more of a Highway 6 paradigm, since it's convenient.

Are you saying that the business owners along Congress Ave. in Austin would love some setbacks for parking lots? That if I walked into one and casually said, "Don't you wish there were parking lots all along this street and you guys had some breathing room?" they'd be like, "Yeah man, this urban environment stifles us! Instead of staring across at the windows of other businesses and sidewalks full of pedestrians, we need some concrete with cars on it!"

Now now swtsig, let's not get too heated here. You're right, there is a small parking strip in front of Waterloo, my error. I wouldn't really call either of these "suburban" environments, especially not Lamar Blvd. in Austin's core - I would rather say they're in a transitional period, "urbanizing" you might say. Some of us want them to urbanize more, and hence complain about setbacks for parking; other people I suppose want them to stay in more of a Highway 6 paradigm, since it's convenient.

Are you saying that the business owners along Congress Ave. in Austin would love some setbacks for parking lots? That if I walked into one and casually said, "Don't you wish there were parking lots all along this street and you guys had some breathing room?" they'd be like, "Yeah man, this urban environment stifles us! Instead of staring across at the windows of other businesses and sidewalks full of pedestrians, we need some concrete with cars on it!"

here's your problem - you lack any sense of business accumen. every argument you make takes place in an urbanist vacuum devoid of practicaliy where cars shouldn't exist and setbacks should be eliminated and ground floor retail should be forced to help create an "urban fabric" (or your definition of it). beieve it or not, most people get to and from places in a CAR. including the retail establishments they frequent.

i know for certain businesses in Austin's urban core, where zoning forces all developments to come to the curb and forces all developments to have ground floor retail, have failed (as in gone out of business) because rents were too steep and - wait for it - customers could not find parking. i have friends in austin who have told me a lot of these businesses fail for that exact reason "people don't go b/c they can't find a parking spot". right in the heart of your urban core. so yeah, if you told these business owners (which i think we can all safely assume you are not) that by "breathing room" you mean "easy access for their customers to frequent their establishment and increase their earnings" they you bet your ass they would say "yeah man!" until an area reaches a critical mass of people, your "urban environment" won't pay the rent.

• Like 5

here's your problem - you lack any sense of business accumen. every argument you make takes place in an urbanist vacuum devoid of practicaliy where cars shouldn't exist and setbacks should be eliminated and ground floor retail should be forced to help create an "urban fabric" (or your definition of it). beieve it or not, most people get to and from places in a CAR. including the retail establishments they frequent.

i know for certain businesses in Austin's urban core, where zoning forces all developments to come to the curb and forces all developments to have ground floor retail, have failed (as in gone out of business) because rents were too steep and - wait for it - customers could not find parking. i have friends in austin who have told me a lot of these businesses fail for that exact reason "people don't go b/c they can't find a parking spot". right in the heart of your urban core. so yeah, if you told these business owners (which i think we can all safely assume you are not) that by "breathing room" you mean "easy access for their customers to frequent their establishment and increase their earnings" they you bet your ass they would say "yeah man!" until an area reaches a critical mass of people, your "urban environment" won't pay the rent.

Well, I think if we're at the point where your post begins by telling me what "my problem" is, this is not going to be a productive conversation. I will say that I think urbanism is a success in downtown Austin, most businesses and residents are quite happy about that fact, and your preference for keeping N. Lamar Blvd. downtown a nice suburban environment may not last forever.

Not to dive too much into the off topic tangent; however, I neither live in Austin nor do I go to downtown Austin more than perhaps once a year.  I don't find parking there to be any more difficult than any other downtown, and easier than most.  Maybe I just have advanced skills, but I never end up having to park in Round Rock or some such and then walk downtown.  

This opens up really soon, right? I thought I remember April or May.

It was supposed to, but I talked to my ex who works at the Whole Foods out on Wilcrest, and she said that the word is that they are opening the BLVD Place store in August.

Speaking of Apache, has anyone heard any rumors about this project. I've read in the business section where they have sold off several large tracts of leases recently and altered their direction in plans for the future energy wise but I haven't heard one word about what I think would be a very nice addition to this stretch of Post Oak. Can anyone shed any light on this project.

Photos from Sunday morning. Was surprised how Hanover's tower shows up relatively well from a number of vantage points inside the loop...

DSC00629_zps6d4e7a9b.jpg

-From the Target on San Felipe near the Westcreek site.

DSC00667_zps818c82c8.jpg

-From Greenway/Upper Kirby

And finally the site itself

DSC00688_zpsc93f4404.jpg

DSC00690_zpsbbfbdead.jpg

DSC00692_zps38311491.jpg

DSC00695_zps8b7c4aec.jpg

DSC00696_zps6abf32e8.jpg

DSC00698_zps4a5c5835.jpg

-The Apache site

DSC00701_zps0442eb31.jpg

DSC00700_zps68e6519b.jpg