It's much different from the old one. It's still nice thought, as long as the still build it. here it is:

BoulevardPlace_Lg.jpg

This will be Houston's

Rodeo Drive,

5th Ave,

Etc.

I'll beat that many of the upcale stores in the Galleria move here.

I thought was pretty that I didn't even notice it. It like it will blend in well with the rest of the high rise development in the area.

Also, with the lack of information on the website, I still place this into the distant future catagory. I'm not saying it won't get built, but since not time frame is given we can only wait.

The additional streets through the project fit into the Uptown Districts plan to form a grid withtin the district. The development would be like it's own little city with a city.

..This will be Houston's Rodeo Drive, 5th Ave, Etc.

I don't know.. I can't help but think of Highland Village or River Oaks Shopping Center when you mention Rodeo Drive.

As for 5th Avenue.. Maybe if the Pavillions are built downtown, then we'd have something to compare with - even though it wouldn't even compare in the first place!

downtown , midtown or nowhere.

I champion density as much as anybody, but I don't understand this view. Uptown Houston is one of the largest collection of office, retail, and residential in the nation. It embodies many of the characteristics we all wish for a downtown district. There are many drawbacks to Uptown of course. It is not pedestrian friendly, and it is a little more spread out than I would like. However, when I see developments such as the ones Wulfe is proposing, I support them.

I think Houston can be a city that supports several districts of density in its borders. I don't think we should look at Uptown gaining at Downtown's expense. If it does not make economic sense to put a development in downtown, then it should not go there. I want vibrant developments, not rotting shells of concrete and glass that will sit vacant. That being said, I think downtown's best days are ahead of it. It may not get the high rise residential we want now, but with better transit options comming to downtown, such as the rail, and better retail options it will come.

it's called decentralization folks. houston has become so decentralized now, that downtown is not even the center of population or activity anymore like traditional cities. the fact that houston is so spread out as far as amenities makes visitors feel that they are in the wrong areas at times as far as entertainment. becaue a city of Houston's size should be more active than it currently is, specifically in the core, and edge cities such as uptown and the tmc kills the potential that downtown could have. i know it's hard to understand if you are not familiar with urban planning or design, but it's the truth.

Lowbrow Posted Today, 02:48 PM

If they worked more on mobility in the uptown area I'd like it about 50x better. They should put an underground tram between the galleria and this beast. Hell, I'd use it just to cross westheimer.

I agree. Don't see too much activity becuase it is spread out, easy transportation(such as a tram) will allow people to make those across uptown moves easier. Maybe get rid of all those parking lots. Put an underground lot or centralized garage(free up that space for retail and or pedestrian traffic), put away the cars so people can walk

InnerLoopOnly Posted Today, 02:47 PM

I think Houston can be a city that supports several districts of density in its borders. I don't think we should look at Uptown gaining at Downtown's expense. If it does not make economic sense to put a development in downtown, then it should not go there. I want vibrant developments, not rotting shells of concrete and glass that will sit vacant. That being said, I think downtown's best days are ahead of it. It may not get the high rise residential we want now, but with better transit options comming to downtown, such as the rail, and better retail options it will come.

Agree with this aswell. I tend to lean more towards Downtown becuase it needs the most help(with retail and residential) and it's cetralized

it's called decentralization folks.  houston has become so decentralized now, that downtown is not even the center of population or activity anymore like traditional cities.  the fact that houston is so spread out as far as amenities makes visitors feel that they are in the wrong areas at times as far as entertainment. becaue a city of Houston's size should be more active than it currently is, specifically in the core, and edge cities such as uptown and the tmc kills the potential that downtown could have.  i know it's hard to understand if you are not familiar with urban planning or design, but it's the truth.

Yeah I know. I tell people all the time. "Houston's great, but you need a car becuase it is so spread out and you need to know where to go"

i'm not down with notion of midtown or downtown getting all the projects. if this were some podunk town that would be one thing but given that houston is huge, development like this is perfectly fine. i don't want a city of two million to have to congrate to the "village center" for shopping and entertainment.

It does look huge. I work just blocks from there(when not deployed). I can't recall What is currently there now? :huh:

there is a vacant upscale shopping center (pavillion) and another strip center with an eatzies' at the end...which i hope gets incorporated into the new project.

i'm not down with notion of midtown or downtown getting all the projects. if this were some podunk town that would be one thing but given that houston is huge, development like this is perfectly fine. i don't want a city of two million to have to congrate to the "village center" for shopping and entertainment.

I agree. But it's not just these two areas, there's also Greenway plaza, Greenspoint, TMC, Westchase, that people want see developed. In hopes that these developed areas will bleed into more parts of the city to eventually better every part of the city.

We need to start somewhere. Having too many fronts all at once will just disapate any development. Having one or a handfull of solid foundations to focus on can encourage development throughout

Pretty cool.  Imagine light rail (oops, BRT) running down the side of it, and that's what you may have in several years.

Isn't uptown the one getting LRT?

In regards to whether uptown downtown etc. I think this is fine in uptown. Although I would like more development to be in downtown I would rather it occur naturally through single towers over the years rather than these single master planned developments. I do like it, though I hope they decide to diversify the facades. Regarding boulevard place.

i'm not down with notion of midtown or downtown getting all the projects. if this were some podunk town that would be one thing but given that houston is huge, development like this is perfectly fine.

I entirely agree. A city isn't just it's core, it is its core plus all of its peripheral communities. I've never understood the point of having a vibrant core but dullness everywhere else. Becomes like a repetitive dream when all the action, all the interests are concentrated within the same 20-30 blocks of a city. Let's be diverse. The 1800s are over and, hard as it is to believe, Uptown is only six miles west of downtown. It's not like you're commuting to freakin' Huntsville.

One of the great things about Tokyo is that it is virbant in every quadrant of the city, not just its core.

Also, it is grossly unfair to say that DT Houston doesn't have anything going on when it has one of the livelier nightlife strips in the US. Our DT isn't as vibrant as Chicago, New York, Seattle or San Francisco but it does very well compared to most other cities.

In any case, Uptown exists, and if it is to exist, I'd rather it be vibrant than dormant and blighted. Makes for a more attractive city.

Also, Tokyo's downtown is not a well defined urban center. Tokyo has many urbans centers and lacks a travel pattern of travel to the center in the morning and trave out in the evening.

It a mass conglomeration of a little bit of everything.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the idea here is variety. Smaller cities can be fun, but the size limits the variety of things to do. Here, you can head to a part of town that fits your mood.

Downtown has the sports, hip-hop and urban feel. Midtown/Montrose has more laid back urban neighborhood feel to it. When you feel just a bit snotty head to The Village. When you feel a lot snotty, Uptown has it going on. If Washington corridor catches on, I feel it will have some funkiness to it...at least I hope so.

All in all, you can cover a lot of ground in a relatively small area. And once LRT/BRT connects these areas, one could hit them all without moving the car. Commuter rail will allow more people to enjoy that scene.

I think the washington corridor will NOT be funky at all. The list of slated strip centers along the road plus the Target center to the north look like everything else.

And the rate at which the drug dealers are being pushed into a corner and the developers are tearing down the abandoned houses, very little of the existing streetscape will remain (which is good).

I'm amazed at how much the Washington corridor has changed in the five plus years I've been in Houston. Another five and you won't see any remnants of blighted buildings. Just the other day, some of the older empty buildings between Houston Ave. and Sawyer were being remodeled. That says a lot about the area's growth and developers' growing confidence in the area.

That said, Washington, Houston, Sawyer and several other streets along this stretch of the city need to be redone. Washington isn't the worst of the group but since it is the "premier" boulevard in the West End, it needs to continue to see improvements, like with the roundabout on the western end. It'd be nice to see the city/community invest in better landscaping and trees.

They are planning to redo the intersections at Montrose/Studemont, Waugh, and Yale at Washington.

They be in the same concept at the intersections along Almeda just south of US 59.