Houston Architectural Guide

DMac

If you do not have a copy my I suggest you get 1 if you can. I have the 2nd edition {1999} 75th anniversary issue on loan from the Kingwood Campus of the North Harris-Montgomery Community College Dist.

It contains 348 pages, 20 tours, 4 appendix, approx 986 entries {damned near all w/photos}, how to guide, forward, intro, acknowledgments & index.

Enjoying this book very very much. Man there are/were some beautiful large stately old mansions @ the south end of downtown. And then there are some gaudy/crappy looking joints also. Gotta haver that balance for the critics.

I thank your going to enjoy reading/looking through this book, providing of course you have an interest.

Another kool part of reading through this book is to x reference address' w/the '46 City Directory. Particularly the Bldg's. downtown and the tenants w/in each on each floor, before they were torn down.

Just my 2 cents worth{mo/less}

I have both of the new (spiral bound) editions. It's a bit hard to dig up, but if you can find it, the 1971 edition is worth it. It has a lot of old buildings that are no longer around, plus many photos of the city back then.

If you do not have a copy my I suggest you get 1 if you can. I have the 2nd edition {1999} 75th anniversary issue on loan from the Kingwood Campus of the North Harris-Montgomery Community College Dist.

It contains 348 pages, 20 tours, 4 appendix, approx 986 entries {damned near all w/photos}, how to guide, forward, intro, acknowledgments & index.

Enjoying this book very very much. Man there are/were some beautiful large stately old mansions @ the south end of downtown. And then there are some gaudy/crappy looking joints also. Gotta haver that balance for the critics.

I thank your going to enjoy reading/looking through this book, providing of course you have an interest.

Another kool part of reading through this book is to x reference address' w/the '46 City Directory. Particularly the Bldg's. downtown and the tenants w/in each on each floor, before they were torn down.

Just my 2 cents worth{mo/less}

Half Price Books on lower Westheimer occasionally has them in the architectural section of the store.

I have both of the new (spiral bound) editions. It's a bit hard to dig up, but if you can find it, the 1971 edition is worth it. It has a lot of old buildings that are no longer around, plus many photos of the city back then.

I have both of the new editions, too. I got my '99 actually from the AIA office on Richmond. The ?1990? version has a white spiral and the '99 has a red spiral. I've seen the '71 (Rice U. library has a copy) and it's interesting, though without the commentary on each building and with many fewer buildings.

And the Galveston Architecture Guidebook, from about the same 1999 period, is equally impressive and highly recommended.

Marty

Archived