The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/01-31-13-new-natural-food-market-and-restaurant-emerges-details-on-the-heights-general-store/?utm_source=sf_facebook

Some more, albeit vague, news about the Heights General Store. Sounds like Revival Market North minus the meat counter. Could work. Late in the week, I always run out of stuff and would love to just be able to walk up to 19th and get a few things. Given that Revival is not open after 7 pm, this place could get a little of their business if they keep the market part open later with the restaurant.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/01-31-13-new-natural-food-market-and-restaurant-emerges-details-on-the-heights-general-store/?utm_source=sf_facebook Some more, albeit vague, news about the Heights General Store. Sounds like Revival Market North minus the meat counter. Could work. Late in the week, I always run out of stuff and would love to just be able to walk up to 19th and get a few things. Given that Revival is not open after 7 pm, this place could get a little of their business if they keep the market part open later with the restaurant.

I wish them luck. But let's not forget what preceded Revival Market at their current address. Why has Revival succeeded where McCain's failed (and what can HGS learn from this)?

Given the background of the owners, Revival had instant credibility with people from the food service industry and therefore got a lot of favorable social media coverage from day one.  HGS will have to build this credibility more slowly,

The biggest excitement drivers for Revival were its charcuterie/salumi program (given their custom curing room and Pera's experience) and its coffee program. Over time, though, what impresses me about Revival is their constant innovation, especially with prepared foods. Every weekend there seems to be a new offering, be it bagels or kolaches or prepared sides for Thanksgiving. And everything is done to a very high standard. They're also a model in the use of social media to drive sales, with frequent updates and a lot of original content.

I wish them luck. But let's not forget what preceded Revival Market at their current address. Why has Revival succeeded where McCain's failed (and what can HGS learn from this)?

Given the background of the owners, Revival had instant credibility with people from the food service industry and therefore got a lot of favorable social media coverage from day one.  HGS will have to build this credibility more slowly,

The biggest excitement drivers for Revival were its charcuterie/salumi program (given their custom curing room and Pera's experience) and its coffee program. Over time, though, what impresses me about Revival is their constant innovation, especially with prepared foods. Every weekend there seems to be a new offering, be it bagels or kolaches or prepared sides for Thanksgiving. And everything is done to a very high standard. They're also a model in the use of social media to drive sales, with frequent updates and a lot of original content.

Revival already had a following from their farmer's market offerings which helped them a lot during the critical first few months. This place will definitely need to be ready to hit it out of the park when the doors open. There is certainly a big market for another causual restaurant in the Heights. Those shoes will not be that difficult to fill. But, the market part is definitely a more difficult affair. They will need to offer stuff that you cannot get at Revival or Whole Foods(difficult) and offer the stuff that you can get at regular markets at prices that are close enough that people will be willing to pay a few cents more not to have to deal with Kroger or Whole Foods. It can be done and could print money, but it will definitely be a perilous journey for a small business owner who is doing this from scratch. I am glad they are taking a shot at it and hope it works.

I swear McCains had to try to fail... it was so blatantly obvious that it was missing quality/variety/vibe that I can't fathom how  management didn't fix it (or at least make an effort).  The workers were also cold/rude the few times I went there.  Revival has some of the best coffee in Houston... and that isn't even their main business. 

I think Heights General Store would do well to carry a large amount of "old time" styled candies.  I went to a place (very popular) in Rural North Carolina that had an awesome selection of classic candies, you filled a basket with what you wanted and paid by weight/tiers. 

• 4 weeks later...

Has Torchy's bailed out of the Harold's re-development?  There is a space available sign up in the window.  The permits that were in the window have been taken down.  There were also some architect's plans inside the building that are no longer there.  According to reports at the end of December, Torchy's and Heights General Store would have fully leased the building.  So, either one or the other has baild or has cut back their square footage. 

Has Torchy's bailed out of the Harold's re-development?  There is a space available sign up in the window.  The permits that were in the window have been taken down.  There were also some architect's plans inside the building that are no longer there.  According to reports at the end of December, Torchy's and Heights General Store would have fully leased the building.  So, either one or the other has baild or has cut back their square footage. 

The "Space Available" sign usually stays up after the space has been leased. The agent usually has other properties to show prospective clients.

The "Space Available" sign usually stays up after the space has been leased. The agent usually has other properties to show prospective clients.

The sign just came back up recently.  According to press reports, it should have been full between what Torchy's was leasing (@3k sq ft) and what Heights General Store was leasing (@10k sq ft).  Torchy's was announced as a tenant back in June.  I also recall seeing a TBAC permit sign in the window for Heights General Store a long time ago.  I would be surprised if Torchy's walked away.  They are getting to be a decent sized chain and should have the capital to get something like this done.  But, I doubt the sign came up just to get the developer's name in the window.  I hope Torchy's and Heights General Store are on the way, but it looks like at least someone is scaling back or walking away.

http://www.theleadernews.com/?p=7144

And the Big Mamou goes down. Yeah, the service was always awkward and the food did not meet the demands of the Cajun purists. But, I always liked the place. It was homey and had a nice patio out back. They did do a great job building out that little bungalow. Hopefully, someone else will take over and start up a new restaurant.

Terrible location.  Share the building with Texas Dry Clean, a chiro's office and whatever no name businesses are there. Not co-located with the other businesses on 19th.  Pedestrian and bike traffic? I don't think so...

Terrible location.  Share the building with Texas Dry Clean, a chiro's office and whatever no name businesses are there. Not co-located with the other businesses on 19th.  Pedestrian and bike traffic? I don't think so...

I agree - the heights needs a good ice cream place, but that location is awful.  That area between Shepherd/Durham is dead to me.  I have only been to the Kroger shopping center & Tommie Vaughn - everything else has been completely ignored by pretty much everyone I know.  I dont know of anybody who has gone into any store north of 11th in between shepherd & durham.

Not quite that bad. They are going in at 1901 N. Shep. That is the old building on the NW corner of 19th and Shep that is going to be redeveloped. That intersection is also one of the few you can actually cross on foot as the traffic on 19th is pretty slack (everyone uses 20th as a cut through instead of 19th). N. Shep is generally a dump, but it is changing. Given that this is just a local business and not a Baskin and Robins franchise, it is understandable that they have to seek out cheap rent for their first location. I am sure you could say the same thing about the location for Jus Mac and Cedar Creek, but both are printing money.

This is not in the retail center. Its in the building I said would be great for a bar or pub if it wasn't dry. I was then informed by somebody that there is simply too much traffic on Shepherd and thats why nobody would put something in a space like that.

• Like 1

This is not in the retail center. Its in the building I said would be great for a bar or pub if it wasn't dry. I was then informed by somebody that there is simply too much traffic on Shepherd and thats why nobody would put something in a space like that.

Hmmm....who might that have been?

I wish them the best. It is good to see something go into that dead zone between Shep and Durham.

As usual, the only way to argue against me is to say that I said something I did not say. I actually was arguing that there was some potential for redevelopment up N. Shep as a result of a gradual turning of the tide along the street. It was in a thread that I started about a new townhome development at N. Shep and 6th in what is now a storage lot for the Ford dealership. I noted that there is a new storage facility planned for 15th and N. Shep. My conclusion was that these were signs that the tote the note shops were giving way to new development. You said that nothing would happen along N. Shep because alcohol sales are restricted from 11th up to 20something-th. So, you were actually wrong. Development can proceed in the dry section of N. Shep.

My point about traffic was that the restaurants and bars that have redeveloped Washington Ave would not want to open along N. Shep because of the one way traffic that patrons would have to deal with. Fat Cat Creamery does not need the traffic to be successful. They have a big following with the foodies that, like with Revival Market, will translate into a larger following. People will go find Fat Cat. That is why they are able to take a less desirable location in exchange for lower overhead costs.

I'm not sure that I was in an argument with you in this thread, but here we go.

I'll let you read the following three excerpts out loud to yourself.

"My point about traffic was that the restaurants and bars that have redeveloped Washington Ave would not want to open along N. Shep because of the one way traffic that patrons would have to deal with."

"Its in the building I said would be great for a bar or pub if it wasn't dry. I was then informed by somebody that there is simply too much traffic on Shepherd and thats why nobody would put something in a space like that."

"The kind of development on Washington and White Oak is not going to come to Shep/Durham because no one wants to go to a bar that is surrounded by eight lanes of traffic."

As you are no doubt aware the 1st and 3rd are your own words, and the 2nd is my comment in this thread. I have done my best (Ctrl+C) to copy them as close to word for word as possible.  I am sure others will agree that my comments are clearly not a twist of your words. It is almost exactly what you really said.

My argument in that thread seen here was that development that occured in Shady Acres, likely would have occured along Shepherd and Durham if the area were not dry. I still believe that, but feel free to continue to educate me on explanations about why you had to go north of 26th to find a liquor store and ice house on Shepherd, why all the restaurants on Durham and Shepherd are south of I-10, why there are liqour stores and icehouses in Shady Acres instead of along the busiest 2 streets in the area. Most of which I developed my own theories about by going to these places beginning about 20 years ago.

I look forward to heading to this ice cream parlour. Its a good start and a good fit for this area, considering the limitations on the use of the building.

If they are successful, look for the lot immediately to the north to get redeveloped as well. It is a nice size too.

Edited by JJxvi

Big Mamou had the 3rd best Gumbo on a 1/2 mile stretch of Studewood...  as much as I wanted to love the place (the owners are very nice people) it just never did it for me.  I appreciated the beignets the most... and if they would have been available all the time I would have went a lot more.  Great location, great building, great attitude, the food just wasn't good enough. 

I agree - the heights needs a good ice cream place, but that location is awful.  That area between Shepherd/Durham is dead to me.  I have only been to the Kroger shopping center & Tommie Vaughn - everything else has been completely ignored by pretty much everyone I know.  I dont know of anybody who has gone into any store north of 11th in between shepherd & durham.

The entire stretch of 19th W of Shepherd ought to be a barren wasteland, but Hubcap and Gatlin's both do well there since their products are worth seeking out.

I've had this ice cream, and it's worth braving the wilds west of Lawrence St. to get it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that I was in an argument with you in this thread, but here we go.

I'll let you read the following three excerpts out loud to yourself.

"My point about traffic was that the restaurants and bars that have redeveloped Washington Ave would not want to open along N. Shep because of the one way traffic that patrons would have to deal with."

"Its in the building I said would be great for a bar or pub if it wasn't dry. I was then informed by somebody that there is simply too much traffic on Shepherd and thats why nobody would put something in a space like that."

"The kind of development on Washington and White Oak is not going to come to Shep/Durham because no one wants to go to a bar that is surrounded by eight lanes of traffic."

As you are no doubt aware the 1st and 3rd are your own words, and the 2nd is my comment in this thread. I have done my best (Ctrl+C) to copy them as close to word for word as possible.  I am sure others will agree that my comments are clearly not a twist of your words. It is almost exactly what you really said.

My argument in that thread seen here was that development that occured in Shady Acres, likely would have occured along Shepherd and Durham if the area were not dry. I still believe that, but feel free to continue to educate me on explanations about why you had to go north of 26th to find a liquor store and ice house on Shepherd, why all the restaurants on Durham and Shepherd are south of I-10, why there are liqour stores and icehouses in Shady Acres instead of along the busiest 2 streets in the area. Most of which I developed my own theories about by going to these places beginning about 20 years ago.

I look forward to heading to this ice cream parlour. Its a good start and a good fit for this area, considering the limitations on the use of the building.

If they are successful, look for the lot immediately to the north to get redeveloped as well. It is a nice size too.

The restaurants in Shady Acres succeeded because the land was bargain basement. No one wanted it at the time they moved in. The land along Shep is cheap, but nowhere near as cheap as Shady Acres land back when those folks set up shop.

If you are going to argue whether the cruddy booze barns and ice houses north of the dry zone on Shep would have occupied the areas that are now dry, I will not oppose that argument. I also do not want to see cruddy booze dives infest Shep and am glad the dry restriction is there to keep them out.

The smattering of restaurants and bars in between Washington and I-10 are more a function of history than any modern trend. Pizzitolas, Cadlillac (pre-Landry-ification) and Spaghetti Western have been there long before the area gentrified and Washington became an entertainment district. And if the lack of alcohol restriction equals good restaurant development, there should be something between White Oak Bayou and 14th St. But, there is almost nothing, except for Nundini's wonderful food, great wine selection and pleasantly laughable service. For all practical purposes there is no difference between 6th-14th and 14th-19th on Shep, but both areas are devoid of anything other than Fast Food garbage a great Torta shop and Nundini. Thus, there is no reason to expect any kind of miracle along 14th-19th without an alcohol restriction.

The smattering of restaurants and bars in between Washington and I-10 are more a function of history than any modern trend. Pizzitolas, Cadlillac (pre-Landry-ification) and Spaghetti Western have been there long before the area gentrified and Washington became an entertainment district. And if the lack of alcohol restriction equals good restaurant development, there should be something between White Oak Bayou and 14th St. But, there is almost nothing, except for Nundini's wonderful food, great wine selection and pleasantly laughable service. For all practical purposes there is no difference between 6th-14th and 14th-19th on Shep, but both areas are devoid of anything other than Fast Food garbage a great Torta shop and Nundini. Thus, there is no reason to expect any kind of miracle along 14th-19th without an alcohol restriction.

Except the already increasing number of restaurants in the neighborhood. 

Witchcraft is not within shepard and durham, but basically on the corner of 11th and shep.  Not too hard to imagine something similar inbetween them being successful.  Lifting the alchohol ban (which is rediculous in the first place) would definitely open opportunity for people to open some nice(and successful) bars/restaurants between shepard and durham. 

Nobody expects some miracle... but one or two more options sure would be nice.    I also think your disdain for the "cruddy booze barns" just shows what kind of person you are.  You afriad of "Ice house" patrons?