The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

On 4/7/2020 at 11:33 AM, s3mh said:

The old Lee’s Fried Chicken building is turning into a Common Bond take out concept.  

Unfortunately, every concept is now a take out concept.  

IIRC, since the acquisition CB's baked goods are now done from a central commissary, so this should be a relatively easy concept to replicate, especially if they can lock in attractive lease terms.

• Like 3

On 4/7/2020 at 9:33 AM, s3mh said:

The old Lee’s Fried Chicken building is turning into a Common Bond take out concept.  

49790996403_ef69cb149f_h.jpg

Common Bond Heights Blvd by Marc longoria, on Flickr

49791853387_8a67800c27_h.jpg

Common Bond Heights Blvd by Marc longoria, on Flickr

Thai food shopping center also got a repaint

49790996978_b9af582a9b_h.jpg

Thai Food redo by Marc longoria, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Wolfsmiths Heights has opened on 26th Street just east of Shepherd.  They bill themselves as "Houston's First Moto Café".  And it's exactly that, a combination motorcycle repair shop and coffee bar.  I'm really into cars so I think it's cool.

https://wolfsmithsheights.com/

Edited by innerloop
wrong direction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Triton said:

a farmer's market?

Yes and no.  It is all local fruits and veggies, but Central City Coop is the vendor instead of having a bunch of individual farm stands.  They also have coffee and other treats.  Haven't been in yet, but it looks nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Monkey-s-Tail-open-new-bar-Petrol-Station-Houston-15454856.php?cmpid=hpctp

New life for Petrol Station location.  I would presume that they will be permitted as a restaurant so they do not have to worry about getting shut down due to the virus.  I would generally think that opening a new bar or restaurant right now would be insane unless you are prepared to go take out until their is a vaccine.  But the Petrol Station property is huge and has lots of room for outdoor dining/drinking, which seems to be significantly safer than indoor service.  So, maybe this is a restaurant/bar that is ready for a "new normal".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://houston.eater.com/2020/8/17/21371920/original-hot-dog-factory-opening-houston-september-2020-dennis-mckinley-real-housewives-of-atlanta

Atlanta’s Wildly Popular Original Hot Dog Factory Is Ready to Open in Houston

The restaurant, made famous on the Real Housewives of Atlanta, will make its H-Town debut in September

by Amy McCarthy  Aug 17, 2020, 9:00am CDT

The Original Hot Dog Factory, an Atlanta-based chain that’s known for its creatively topped hot dogs and its owner’s infamous turn on reality television, is just about ready to open its doors in Houston.

The restaurant will make its Houston debut on Friday, September 4 at 920 Studemont Street, Suite 300. As previously reported by Eater, the restaurant is the brainchild of Dennis McKinley, a club promoter that’s also had his tumultuous relationship with reality TV star Porsha Williams chronicled on the Bravo series the Real Housewives of Atlanta over the past several seasons. McKinley probably won’t be at the Houston outpost much, considering that it will be operated by local franchisees Juanita and Bridgette Sharkey. 

Outside of the reality TV drama, the Original Hot Dog Factory is a seriously popular spot in Atlanta, thanks to creatively topped dogs like the L.A. Dog, which involves a bacon-wrapped frank that’s piled high with chili-cheese fries and grilled onions. More classic hot dogs, like the Detroit-style coney, are also on the menu, along with wings, grilled chicken sandwiches, burgers, and corn dogs.

E4bn5hP.jpg

W31eyI6.png

L1RTLWT.png

A new restaurant is bringing traditional Mexican street style tacos to The Heights.

The Taco Stand from the team behind The Burger Joint, chef Matthew Pak and Shawn Bermudez, will launch at 2018 N. Shepherd Dr. this fall, according to a Friday release.Offerings will include pastor, barbacoa, lengua, carnitas and vegan tacos, all served with onions and cilantro on house-made corn and flour tortillas.The Taco Stand will also serve breakfast tacos and frozen margaritas.

Chef Pak traveled to Mexico City and Los Angeles to research the menu. “I love the culture (of Mexico), and traditional Mexican cuisine is my favorite food,” he said in the release.

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Burger-Joint-owners-to-open-The-Taco-Stand-15505698.php?cmpid=hpctp

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I really do not care about this restaurant and this is more Heights adjacent than I usually like to post.  I just want to vent at how old this makes me feel.  The music and culture I grew up with has now become restaurant kitsch.  Not that Duran Duran was great art (Devo was), but I never thought that the 80s were so iconic that we would be doing stuff like this.  

https://www.chron.com/food/article/80s-themed-Hungry-Like-the-Wolf-diner-heading-to-15650378.php

• Like 1

80's as kitsch has been a thing for a while now, and I don't think I can imagine decade *more* iconic. Or at least aesthetically ...aggressive.

I'm kinda disappointed to see a new place going in to that strip mall though. I'd prefer to live in hope that its days are numbered. 

3 hours ago, s3mh said:

I really do not care about this restaurant and this is more Heights adjacent than I usually like to post.  I just want to vent at how old this makes me feel.  The music and culture I grew up with has now become restaurant kitsch.  Not that Duran Duran was great art (Devo was), but I never thought that the 80s were so iconic that we would be doing stuff like this.  

https://www.chron.com/food/article/80s-themed-Hungry-Like-the-Wolf-diner-heading-to-15650378.php

I made that realization when 95.7 "The Spot" came on the air playing 80's music and our old oldies station (107.5?) changed formats.  80's music is the new "oldies".  Welcome to middle age...

Listening to Culture Club's Karma Chameleon on 95.7 while i'm writing this.  :)

Edited by august948
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 12:18 PM, s3mh said:

Vietnam Restaurant has closed.  New venture going in under the business entity Grand Heights, LLC.  Judging from the folks behind the LLC, I would guess that it will be more bar oriented, but that is just a guess.  

The principals appear to be the same team behind Tikila's on Shepherd. 

Roast & Brew is a new coffee shop which opened along 19th St. I couldn't find anything about it on here, but it is a brand new building.

Also, Velvet Taco is opening up a location in 2 weeks on the corner of 20th and Sheperd. That is across the street from the Taco Stand which should be opening soon as well, which was mentioned above. 

• 2 months later...

Down House closed.  All faults aside, Treadsack did lead the restaurant boom in the Heights before imploding.  Down House was one of the first to make the Heights a restaurant destination. Many peaks and valleys along the way, but I will miss it.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 6/27/2017 at 10:10 AM, Angostura said:

This was pretty much the concept for Downhouse, which originally opened from 7AM to 2AM

RIP Downhouse!!! You will be missed for sure!

Edited by gene
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Restaurant Diversity In The Heights
On 8/3/2020 at 1:36 PM, s3mh said:

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Monkey-s-Tail-open-new-bar-Petrol-Station-Houston-15454856.php?cmpid=hpctp

New life for Petrol Station location.  I would presume that they will be permitted as a restaurant so they do not have to worry about getting shut down due to the virus.  I would generally think that opening a new bar or restaurant right now would be insane unless you are prepared to go take out until their is a vaccine.  But the Petrol Station property is huge and has lots of room for outdoor dining/drinking, which seems to be significantly safer than indoor service.  So, maybe this is a restaurant/bar that is ready for a "new normal".

https://www.theleadernews.com/food_drink/grease-monkey-to-open-in-fall/article_9d549eb6-ce2f-11eb-bd48-3b6e01e70c5b.html

This is still happening.  Going to be called Grease Monkey and targeting an opening in the Fall.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...