The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Anyone been to that new BBQ place across from the washington HEB? Saw there was a line out the door this weekend I might check it out. I'm not super into BBQ, but the spot looked interesting. Good location at least. 

https://www.truthbbq.com/

Haven't been there but word of mouth is that it's outstanding. They don't have prices listed on the website menu, but my understanding is that it's roughly in the same ballpark as other comparable craft 'cue places ($18-23/lb for meats, with brisket at the upper end of that range). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Anyone been to that new BBQ place across from the washington HEB? Saw there was a line out the door this weekend I might check it out. I'm not super into BBQ, but the spot looked interesting. Good location at least. 

Exceptional BBQ. It’s the second outpost from its start out in Brenham. I’ve been to both and the Houston location is every bit as good. Truth has been on Texas Monthly’s list for years now and IMO is the best in Houston (haven’t been to corkscrew or Killen’s, which I don’t consider to be Houston). 

Edited by LBC2HTX
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 1:24 PM, Purdueenginerd said:

Went over the holidays, and it's quite good, especially given the size of the space and the volume they're doing. They have 5 (I think) large offset smokers in a glass-walled smokehouse next to the serving line. Brisket, pork, ribs and turkey were all very good, sides are decent, and the dining room is clean and pleasant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2019 at 1:35 PM, s3mh said:

Former La Paz day spa location at 1401 Heights Blvd has a COA with HAHC for a restaurant.  No further details.  Looks like it may include the convenience store.  

Elevations filed with HAHC show a Thai restaurant called NAHATHAI THAI RESTAURANT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening to all!

I don't know if there is a thread regarding this property, so please forgive me if this isn't the right thread for this:

Another whiskey bar is on the way to the Heights. Permission Whiskey & Service is landing at 2920 White Oak Dr. It's from a former manager of Federal Grill. It's also one of several new food+beverage concepts opening on White Oak Drive next year.

I shared this on Twitter in November, but didn't find a reference about it on HAIF.

https://twitter.com/chicchickeats/status/1196840120072228865

• Thanks 1

2920 is the address of the Lucky Food Store. 

There was at some point a restaurant concept that would have occupied the rear half of that building (I recall a drawing showing a door facing the parking lot just West of the building. Not sure if the whiskey bar will take over the whole building or just the rear half.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:25 AM, s3mh said:

Katz’s Deli coming to the Mainland Autosales building.  They better keep the Art Guys statues.  

Mainland Autosales moved out.  Demo work going on right now on the property to get ready for the Katz's development.  The Art Guys statues are gone.  

6 hours ago, s3mh said:

Mainland Autosales moved out.  Demo work going on right now on the property to get ready for the Katz's development.  The Art Guys statues are gone.  

The Art Guys moved to Mainland's new location on Airline 

11 hours ago, s3mh said:

I wish her the best of luck, but a couple of things in that article made my eyes roll.

“I’m so sick of Midtown,” Masson says. “The biggest issue is parking. Even though there is a humongous parking garage behind the bakery, no one knows it’s there. No one takes the time to look for it. They drive by, they don’t see a parking spot, they don’t pull over.”

She was on a block with four restaurants. With several others within a couple-hundred feet. Seems like you oughta be able to sell desserts to some of those people instead of choosing a location where people will have to make a special trip to get to you.

Moving into the middle of a neighborhood will result in one important change. Fluff will open at 7 am with a new line of breakfast goods, including kolaches, cinnamon rolls, and, most importantly, Masson’s signature croissants — previously only available occasionally as part of her Saturday morning bake sale pop-ups. 

There are HUNDREDS of apartments literally RIGHT ON TOP of the Midtown location. Do these people not eat breakfast?

I suspect the real story is that Post increased the rent, so she decided to move, because the actual reasoning makes zero sense.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Angostura said:

I wish her the best of luck, but a couple of things in that article made my eyes roll.

She was on a block with four restaurants. With several others within a couple-hundred feet. Seems like you oughta be able to sell desserts to some of those people instead of choosing a location where people will have to make a special trip to get to you.

There are HUNDREDS of apartments literally RIGHT ON TOP of the Midtown location. Do these people not eat breakfast?

I suspect the real story is that Post increased the rent, so she decided to move, because the actual reasoning makes zero sense.

The space she was in was too small to be anything more than a mere storefront for her bakery business.  And midtown is much more of a sleep in/brunch neighborhood with very few families.  And, yes, there are apartments above, but there is also Cocos, Minutti and Cafe Poetes nearby selling similar treats with ample seating. 

It is a no brainer to pick the Heights over midtown if you want to expand out into breakfast and coffee.  And it is easier to sell sugar and carbs to an older crowd than to young single people who are all on Keto, caveman or whatever diet that eschews carbs.  And there are 2000 multifamily units under development in the Heights.  The only question I have for Fluff is why did they leave the Heights to go to midtown in the first place?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, s3mh said:

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Katz-s-Deli-to-open-in-the-Heights-in-fall-2020-15031794.php#item-85307-tbla-10

Renderings for Katz's.  Michael Hsu seems to now be the architect in residence for the Heights.  

Convenient, I guess. The firm's Houston office is only a few blocks from the site.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 10:46 AM, s3mh said:

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Katz-s-Deli-to-open-in-the-Heights-in-fall-2020-15031794.php#item-85307-tbla-10

Renderings for Katz's.  Michael Hsu seems to now be the architect in residence for the Heights.  

Renderings attached in case removed from Chron.

02.jpg

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 8:13 AM, Angostura said:

Masson replied to a facebook post about this. Turns out...

The landlord sent renewal papers to me with a number that I laughed at, $65/sq foot. Seriously, that's a lot of freaking cookies to bake. So, with that I set out looking for a new location.

...though there were issues besides rent (and parking):

Being part of a mixed use building also comes with it's own set of issues. We have had major flooding due to apartment tenants (try being closed for 3 months because water rained down from the 3rd floor for 3 hours.). We suffered major plumbing damage because the next door tenant let his grease trap erode away and destroying the plumbing to me and the restaurant on the corner. All of this happening and the landlord throwing up his hands and saying "it's not our fault, figure it out and oh, where's our rent." Top that off with paying double digit triple nets for horrible security and non-existent maintenance of common areas. Lastly, I am tired of being broken into (which I know won't change when I move) and having homeless guys (with actual crack pipes in their hands) walking into my bakery, stealing tips and digging through the garbage.

8 hours ago, s3mh said:

https://houston.eater.com/2020/3/5/21166526/hoke-poke-heights-open

New poke bowl restaurant.  I believe it is in the space where Mams and then Taco la Marco was.  

It is indeed in that location. I just saw a tweet about the opening earlier today. Wasn't aware it was going to be a poke bowl place but had been wondering when something else would be opening there after signs of another buildout.

Hopefully they will have more success than the previous tenants - seems like Mam's lost something when they moved from their original little trailer parked at 20th and Rutland, and La Macro seemed to still be operating out of their truck on the premises, with some sort of licuado/smoothie place utilizing the indoor space.  

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Angostura said:

Saw a rumor that MF Sushi will move into the spot on White Oak being vacated by Barnaby's.

For those of you who enjoy consuming their mass quantities, Barnaby's is moving to the spot where Pi Pizza used to be.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 11:57 AM, s3mh said:

For those of you who enjoy consuming their mass quantities, Barnaby's is moving to the spot where Pi Pizza used to be.

Oh no wonder. We couldn't tell if it was because of Covid-19 or not.