The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

There's a thread on this property already. Not everything has to go into this thread to be bumped:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/43647-3024-houston-avenue/

I much prefer having a single large thread for this over a myriad of threads. Having a thread for each property is inefficient.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, s3mh said:

Happy All Cafe is closing.  Property will be redeveloped.  

TABC notice up for Taqo Mexican Kitchen + Tequileria.  Not sure whether the spelling is Taqo Tago Togo or whatever.  Handwriting on the sign is a bit messy (not one to talk myself).  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maryam's Cafe on 19th st appears to be gone.  Building has been gutted.  No permit sign in the window for the interior demo.  So, no bread crumbs to follow.  I thought the owners of Maryam's were going to be developing the spot next door where the junk dealer used to be.  But nothing has happened over there yet.  I am surprised Maryam's lasted as long as it did, assuming that the restaurant has closed and is not renovating (which seems like a safe assumption).  The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't even close to be competitive with the many other breakfast and lunch offerings in the Heights.  It is a great space for a restaurant.  Hopefully something better is on the way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 9:51 AM, s3mh said:

Maryam's Cafe on 19th st appears to be gone.  Building has been gutted.  No permit sign in the window for the interior demo.  So, no bread crumbs to follow.  I thought the owners of Maryam's were going to be developing the spot next door where the junk dealer used to be.  But nothing has happened over there yet.  I am surprised Maryam's lasted as long as it did, assuming that the restaurant has closed and is not renovating (which seems like a safe assumption).  The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't even close to be competitive with the many other breakfast and lunch offerings in the Heights.  It is a great space for a restaurant.  Hopefully something better is on the way.

A new home for Carter and Cooley's

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2019 at 9:51 AM, s3mh said:

TABC notice in the window for a second location of Shandy's Cafe.  That is the hole in the wall place over on Memorial Dr. across the street from Bayou Bend.  Not what I was expecting in Houston's hyper foodie driven restaurant market.  But it might do well with those who just want something simple and good.

• 4 weeks later...

https://houston.eater.com/2019/11/21/20976150/handies-douzo-houston-heights-opening-handrolls-december-2019

Handies Douzo will open December 1.  

Common Bond at the Waterworks as seen almost no progress for months but just recently went into overdrive and looks like it could be open in December.

Burger Joint built a parking lot with no drainage (or drainage to be added soon).  It would make for a nice duck pond at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 10:33 AM, s3mh said:

https://houston.eater.com/2019/11/21/20976150/handies-douzo-houston-heights-opening-handrolls-december-2019

Handies Douzo will open December 1.  

Common Bond at the Waterworks as seen almost no progress for months but just recently went into overdrive and looks like it could be open in December.

Burger Joint built a parking lot with no drainage (or drainage to be added soon).  It would make for a nice duck pond at this point.

I'm glad the Burger Joint's struggles in getting open brings you such amusement. Drainage was added but probably designed or built incorrectly. Why would anyone assume someone would build a parking lot without drainage or worse yet add it after it's built?

Mark Twain: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt

Edited by west20th

12 minutes ago, west20th said:

I'm glad the Burger Joint's struggles in getting open brings you such amusement. Drainage was added but probably designed or built incorrectly. Why would anyone assume someone would build a parking lot without drainage or worse yet add it after it's built?

Mark Twain: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt

I drive by the Burger Joint every day.  I watched them put in the parking lot.  As soon as it was finished, there was a heavy rain.  The parking lot filled with water that did not drain at all. 

They could have put in a permeable parking pad but chose to add more concrete to our city.  They are grown ups and run a store in Montrose that makes a lot of money.  If they cannot figure out how to put in a parking lot with proper drainage, I have little sympathy for them.  

• Like 4

You guys know Burger Joint has like the tiniest parking lot ever right? With some unique angles for parking. So while they may be adults, they dont have alot of experience with parking lots lolol. I think you can poke fun at them for something fairly stupid even if you love their burgers and fries as most of us do.

Looking at this thread, it seems basically the Heights is getting a lot of Montrose transplants. Dunno if theres a better blueprint for restaurants in the city so congrats my Heights homies.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, s3mh said:

I drive by the Burger Joint every day.  I watched them put in the parking lot.  As soon as it was finished, there was a heavy rain.  The parking lot filled with water that did not drain at all. 

They could have put in a permeable parking pad but chose to add more concrete to our city.  They are grown ups and run a store in Montrose that makes a lot of money.  If they cannot figure out how to put in a parking lot with proper drainage, I have little sympathy for them.  

Again, what sort of person revels in a business having a difficult time getting their doors open?

If you drove by every day you would have known there was drainage put in. These guys are in the restaurant business not construction. The parking lot was most likely graded incorrectly. Do you know for a fact a permeable parking lot was permissible per COH approval? No? I thought so. Please let me share that Mark Twain quote with you again. 

Edited by west20th

41 minutes ago, west20th said:

Again, what sort of person revels in a business having a difficult time getting their doors open?

If you drove by every day you would have known there was drainage put in. These guys are in the restaurant business not construction. The parking lot was most likely graded incorrectly. Do you know for a fact a permeable parking lot was permissible per COH approval? No? I thought so. Please let me share that Mark Twain quote with you again. 

I have family that is in the restaurant business.  They are intimately familiar with the construction business and know everything from ADA compliance to gas pipe sizing.  Anyone in the restaurant business who thinks that they can just turn their build out over to a bunch of contractors is going to end up with a parking lot that doesn't drain.  

I never saw a single drainage grate on that parking lot.  It was solid concrete.  And it absolutely is permissible per CoH.  Hughies did their remote lot with permeable paving.  

I have no sympathy for anyone coming into the Heights to do business who is not prepared to handle the two biggest issues in our neighborhood--parking and drainage.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, s3mh said:

I have family that is in the restaurant business.  They are intimately familiar with the construction business and know everything from ADA compliance to gas pipe sizing.  Anyone in the restaurant business who thinks that they can just turn their build out over to a bunch of contractors is going to end up with a parking lot that doesn't drain.  

I never saw a single drainage grate on that parking lot.  It was solid concrete.  And it absolutely is permissible per CoH.  Hughies did their remote lot with permeable paving.  

I have no sympathy for anyone coming into the Heights to do business who is not prepared to handle the two biggest issues in our neighborhood--parking and drainage.  

Bless your heart.....open your eyes. The grates are there and underneath are a series of 36" pipes. But you would have already known that if you "drove by the Burger Joint every day and watched them put in the parking lot". What Hughies got permitted has nothing to do with what the Burger Joint got permitted. Different site different needs. Again, please listen to Mr. Twain....

Edited by west20th

On 12/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, west20th said:

Bless your heart.....open your eyes. The grates are there and underneath are a series of 36" pipes. But you would have already known that if you "drove by the Burger Joint every day and watched them put in the parking lot". What Hughies got permitted has nothing to do with what the Burger Joint got permitted. Different site different needs. Again, please listen to Mr. Twain....

I looked this morning.  Yes, there are grates.  No, there aren't 36" pipes leading out of the grates.  Maybe 10" at best.  Someone screwed up big time on the drainage.  Building a parking lot is not hard.  Not at all.  

And you have not stated anything substantive about why Burger Joint could not have been permitted for permeable parking.  You are just making guesses and know nothing about it.  And I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that Burger Joint didn't even consider it.  So, they can swim in their drainage and parking mess.  And yes, people on anonymous message boards will revel in their despair all day long.   

• Like 3

FWIW, the ponding issue is something that whoever paid for the parking lot should drum on the contractor about.  Whether it's a permeable surface or not doesn't make much of a difference - poor drainage is poor drainage.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:13 PM, mollusk said:

FWIW, the ponding issue is something that whoever paid for the parking lot should drum on the contractor about.  Whether it's a permeable surface or not doesn't make much of a difference - poor drainage is poor drainage.

You know what else has a permeable surface and exhibits ponding? Ponds.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2019 at 2:54 PM, s3mh said:

I looked this morning.  Yes, there are grates.  No, there aren't 36" pipes leading out of the grates.  Maybe 10" at best.  Someone screwed up big time on the drainage.  Building a parking lot is not hard.  Not at all.  

And you have not stated anything substantive about why Burger Joint could not have been permitted for permeable parking.  You are just making guesses and know nothing about it.  And I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that Burger Joint didn't even consider it.  So, they can swim in their drainage and parking mess.  And yes, people on anonymous message boards will revel in their despair all day long.   

Dear, I never stated the BJ could not have permitted for permeable parking. Reading is fundamental.

"You are just making guesses and know nothing about it.  And I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that Burger Joint didn't even consider it." Making guesses and knowing nothing about it? Pot meet Kettle. 

Edited by west20th

On 12/6/2019 at 2:54 PM, s3mh said:

After yesterdays rain the Burger Joints parking lot is as dry as a bone. My condolences.