The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

40 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

That's old news. In the Know Houston alluded to this many months back:

There are rumors swirling the "Lord of Lower Westheimer in The Montrose District," Shawn Bermudez (The Burger Joint, The Golden Grill, Pistolero's and more) is shifting his focus to The Heights. Could there be a 2.0 version of The Burger Joint for #theheights?

https://www.facebook.com/IntheKnowHouston/photos/a.792492207552509.1073741828.792002674268129/793416917460038/?type=3

Yeah, but I confirmed it three minutes faster than in the know Houston did!  

On 9/20/2016 at 3:36 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

You didn't confirm anything, Houston Chronicle did. You just copied and pasted a link. Whoopie do. I'm simply pointing out that the news isn't new, it's been out there for months. The link posted goes to a Facebook post about this dating back to May.

It's a message board, not a contest.  Lighten up a bit.

La Fresca Pizza is moving into where the cookie/yogurt shop was on the Braun strip mall on 20th.  This will be the third location in Houston for this restaurant.

Angela's Oven started making pizza on Monday and Tuesday.  I have not been yet, but everyone I know who has tried it is raving.  I always forget about Angela's oven.  Will have to go over for breakfast when the weather finally breaks and get a pizza soon.

Two new spots coming to 19th Street:

1) Indian Restaurant in the new building next to the Ka/Hugs&Donuts/Fat Cat strip center:

http://theheightslifehouston.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-post-youve-all-been-waiting-for.html

https://tarkaindiankitchen.com/

2) Bar in the old La Pachanga location at 1235 W 19th.  They have already started on the remodel of the old bar.

http://www.mcintyreshouston.com/

15 minutes ago, Moose said:

Two new spots coming to 19th Street:

1) Indian Restaurant in the new building next to the Ka/Hugs&Donuts/Fat Cat strip center:

http://theheightslifehouston.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-post-youve-all-been-waiting-for.html

https://tarkaindiankitchen.com/

End of thread.  Oh, wait.  Bagel shop.  Still need a real bagel shop.

On 5/9/2006 at 11:09 AM, shady 75 said:

My wife and I love the Heights area and have enjoyed our first year living here. One thing that we wonder about though is the lack of restaurant diversity in the area. We enjoy the new Thai Spice quite a bit...but find ourselves having to go to Montrose or Rice Village if we ever want anything other than a burger, sandwich, chinese food or pizza.

It seems like recently the Heights just started getting some new restaurants outside of the same old lines. We love Onion Creek...but Dry Creek, 6th St. Bar & Grill, etc. all serve up the same burger and fry options.

For example we love Indian food as many of our friends do in the area but it seems as if no Indian restaurants are venturing into the area. Just more burger joints.

Obviously a lot has changed in the 10 years since this thread started, but the observation about burgers, chinese and pizza is still relevant.  A handful of recent and upcoming openings: Cane Rosso, Mellow Mushroom, Luna, Pi, Alli's, La Fresca, Bernie's, The Burger Joint and the Rice Box.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2016 at 10:27 PM, On to the Next One said:

Wow.  A ton of good news for the North Shepherd/Durham and Shady Acres area.  That area is really getting attention from bars, restaurants, shops, etc.  Can't blame them.  The market is strong in that area.  Shepherd/Durham from I-10 to 610 is PRIME for redevelopment.

You have demand on one side, and supply on the other. As the dirt underneath them gets more valuable, the used car lots are getting property-taxed out of the market. Similar thing is happening with a lot of the warehouse/light industrial property along Yale. Unlike most owner-occupied residential property, commercial and industrial appraisals aren't capped at 10%/year. This, combined with our lack of zoning, has really accelerated land-use conversion in gentrifying neighborhoods.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Angostura said:

You have demand on one side, and supply on the other. As the dirt underneath them gets more valuable, the used car lots are getting property-taxed out of the market. Similar thing is happening with a lot of the warehouse/light industrial property along Yale. Unlike most owner-occupied residential property, commercial and industrial appraisals aren't capped at 10%/year. This, combined with our lack of zoning, has really accelerated land-use conversion in gentrifying neighborhoods.

Braun just bought 2410 N. Shep.  Seems to be in anticipation of HEB and all the tenants who like to be next to an HEB.  As for zoning, pshaw.  Dallas, San Antonio and Austin have seen very rapid gentrification that is just as rapid and often more vigorous that Houston despite zoning.  

On 9/9/2016 at 5:27 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I'm with In the Know Houston. We've been following their expansion since the spring. We finally received a firm confirmation from a source  regarding the expansion and location. However, when we reached out to the owners for additional details, they never responded. We're still waiting... two months now and counting.

Build out is underway with Fusion Taco identified as the occupant on the building permit.  No doubt about it at this point.

Word on the streets is the Ken Bridge of Delicious Concepts has sold all his restaurants (Pink's Pizza, Lola, Shepherd Park, Ritual) minus the Republic Diner + Sojubang to a new entity.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, s3mh said:

http://www.crains.com/article/news/snooze-am-wants-take-over-breakfast-houston

Snooze signs lease in the Heights for another Houston location.  No info on where. People in Montrose love to line up for this restaurant.  

Let the reckless speculation begin!

I'll start: 7th and Yale or 18th and Shepherd. Or maybe 24th and Shepherd.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Esther said:

I'm for 18th and Shepherd too. Having said that, I have never really felt that Houston's lacked diversity of any sort, and I think that its reputation as an ethnic and cultural hub grows stronger each year.

This thread started ten years ago when there were only a few restaurants in the Heights.  The thread has been become an ongoing way to post about restaurant openings.  The title of the thread persists because of the irony that not long ago we all lamented that the Heights had so few places to eat out.

• Like 3

Ahead of Super Bowl LI, a very useful round-up of noteworthy upcoming Houston restaurants, a number of which are in the Heights (or nearby), including:

- Heugel/Yu concept at 6th & Yale

- FM Burger on Shepherd

- Presidio on 11th (former Java Java)

- Starfish on Heights (former Bradley's)

- Field and Tides on 1th (former Zelko)

- Pinkerton's Barbecue on Airline (former Cappelini)

- King's Bierhaus on TC Jester

- Bernie's Burger Bus at 22nd & Yale

- Rice Box on 20th (former Chirp's)

- Heights Bier Garten/Wooster's Annex at 14th & Shepherd

- Mellow Mushroom on Shepherd

My guess is that, of these, 6 or maybe 7 actually open before the Super Bowl.

• 3 weeks later...

We Olive (www.weolive.com) the wine bar/olive oil retailer has finally pulled permits and started building out the old 18 Hand Gallery location on 19th street.  They posted a TABC notice back in February, but the storefront sat empty for months with no activity until now.

• 3 weeks later...

Under the "saw it coming a mile away" file, Alli's pizzaria is closing and will be subsumed by Harold's Tap Room.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/12-07-16-heights-restaurant-ditches-pizzeria-to-expand-popular-Tap-Room-bar/

Under the same file, Black and White is out of business, but claiming to be retooling for a revised concept despite a rent lock out and wage claims.

http://houston.eater.com/2016/12/7/13866058/black-and-white-closed-employees-owed-money

i have to say that hindsight is not 20/20 when it comes to that location.  At the time Killen was ready to open a steak house in that location, the landlord could not reach a deal with him on a lease.  Four years later and the location has only had a tenant open for just over a year.  

Pinkerton BBQ opens with regular business hours this weekend.  

Noticed that the spot at 2626 White Oak has filed for a TABC permit. The name on the application is "The Ready Room", under the ownership of 2626 White Oak LLC, which is shown to be owned by Ken Bridge, of Delicious Concepts.

Apparently this spot used to be Roeder's Pub... 

Edited by andre154

24 minutes ago, andre154 said:

Noticed that the spot at 2626 White Oak has filed for a TABC permit. The name on the application is "The Ready Room", under the ownership of 2626 White Oak LLC, which is shown to be owned by Ken Bridge, of Delicious Concepts.

Apparently this spot used to be Roeder's Pub... 

The tentatively named "The Ready Room" has had a TABC permit for 2626 White Oak Drive for at least two or three years.