The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Went to Java Java this morning, not really a fan. My "best in town" waffle was not near as good as ones I've made myself at the self-service Holiday Inn Express breakfast. As to the coffee, it was so watery that my wife had to double check after it was poured that it was indeed coffee. Prices remind me of Dry Creek, way too high for what you get. Why go here when I can spend $2 less per food item for better food at Frank's? Exactly.

Figured I didn't need a whole new post for this, and so looked for the most recent mention of Java Java...

Has it closed? It's looked awfully dead there the last few times I took any notice.

I was going to suggest Texas Cafeteria on Shepherd. Actually, I never had breakfast there, but I enjoyed their lunches a number of times.

How about Triple A next to the Market? Are they still open? Do they do breakfast?

Of course, nothing beats a fresh hot dozen from a Shipley's for breakfast.

I checked B4-U-EAT.com for "Heights" and "breakfast" and both Triple A and Texas Cafeteria came up, both with mostly good reviews.

Two other restaurants came up; one I knew about and the other one I had never heard about. I had been to Country Kitchen (W 11th between Ella and Hempstead) a few times years ago, and it was first rate. Also there is a place called Kojack's in the 1900 block of W 18th. Both are highly rated. Kojack's is only open M-F from 7am-8pm. Don't know if Country Kitchen is open weekends.

Here's a page of Heights breakfast spots, most of which have been mentioned above.

I'm still curious about Java Java, though, if anyone knows if it's closed. From what I can tell from internet searches, it was open as recently as a month or so ago - but, as I said above, I haven't seen it open in a while.

B4-U-Eat still lists it as open, and they're usually extremely vigilant about keeping their site updated:

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurant...ews/rsv0968.asp

That said, the last review is from back in November. Anyone want to go play detective? Would that I could today... :)

Thx. Yeah, B4-u-eat are generally pretty quick - recently updated their listing for Cafe Montrose, for example, I noticed. Maybe Java Java is in limbo like Cafe Montrose was for a while.

Or I could be just driving by at the wrong time of day. Figured someone on here might live close or drive by more often than I do.

If I find out, I'll post something.

On the breakfast spots topic generally, Avenue Grill is the place I want to try next... not too far from the Heights - but I never think of it.

On the breakfast spots topic generally, Avenue Grill is the place I want to try next... not too far from the Heights - but I never think of it.

It's pretty good. Standard breakfast fare, done reasonably well and without pretension. A lot of cops hang out there, as you'd expect given its proximity to the Municipal Courts and the old Riesner St. facility.

How about the breakfast taco place on 20th between Heights and Studewood? Starts with a C...anyone (20th St Dad)?

Not a breakfast place, but have you all heard about Sweet Temptations on Airline? I think they just opened a month or so ago - some brothers that were associated with the various Mandola's restaurants. Good food, reasonable price, and BYOB.

Slightly askew of the topic, but if you haven't tried a piadini from Starbucks, you really should give it a shot. I don't know how widely available they are, but the Nicholson Starbucks carries them. It's sort of a turnover made with an herby flatbread. They offer two varieties: sausage and spinach/mushroom. Both have scrambled eggs and cheese. I haven't tried the spinach/mushroom, but I'm addicted to the sausage piadini. I think it runs about $3.50, and it's not a lot of food for the price, but it's a really unique taste experience.

Slightly askew of the topic, but if you haven't tried a piadini from Starbucks, you really should give it a shot. I don't know how widely available they are, but the Nicholson Starbucks carries them. It's sort of a turnover made with an herby flatbread. They offer two varieties: sausage and spinach/mushroom. Both have scrambled eggs and cheese. I haven't tried the spinach/mushroom, but I'm addicted to the sausage piadini. I think it runs about $3.50, and it's not a lot of food for the price, but it's a really unique taste experience.

There aren't any Starbucks in the Heights.

And where is Nicholson?

(not trying to be a jerk, just asking...)

Java Java is definitely open - I was there last week.

Thanks! I must just be driving by at weird times of day. As many times as I've passed it, I've never eaten there.

What got me started thinking about it was that I noticed it was one of the few food/drink places (there are some others on White Oak and 19th) that will be very close to the new bike trail. Wonder if they'll put out bike racks.

There aren't any Starbucks in the Heights.

And where is Nicholson?

(not trying to be a jerk, just asking...)

So solly. I assumed I offered sufficient info. The "Heights Starbucks" is on the south 610 frontage road at Nicholson, or alternatively at 28th St and Nicholson. Nicholson runs parallel to Shepherd and Yale and is about halfway in between.

Let me know what you think of your piadini.

Thx. Yeah, B4-u-eat are generally pretty quick - recently updated their listing for Cafe Montrose, for example, I noticed. Maybe Java Java is in limbo like Cafe Montrose was for a while.

b4 can be quite tardy about new openings and closings. I've found several that were way out of date and even one where they had 2 restaurants that had used the same space still listed, both long gone. They don't have a staff to track openings and closings and not all restaurants have publicity people to get the word out so they depend on the public's help. I've added numerous restaurants - you don't have to be the owner to add one, just use the form on the site to submit the relevant information. They'll call the restaurant to verify the information.

The best way to notify them of a closing is to post a review like 'Unfortunately, Restaurant X is closed.' They'll check it out by calling the phone number.

I'm not from the Heights but I go up to El Bolillo on Airline across from Canino's sometimes. I was up there this morning. I always go for what's freshest out of the ovens; today it was the sausage-cheese-jalapeno kolaches, bigger than Shipley's and with a lot of jalapeno in there, and some oversized yellow cake cupcakes! Cake for breakfast - Yea! If the churros are hot, I'll definitely go for those. Later in the day, fresh bolillos and teleras (the ovens were in operation but the only ones in the bins were probably from yesterday) and if the tortilla lady is there, the fresh, hot hand-made corn tortillas. There's coffee, juice, milk, sodas but no place to eat on premises, although some do. I tend toward the pastries and cookies over the pan dulce.

If I was in the Heights I'd be there every week or so, grab some fresh hot bakery items and head for home.

Doing a little thread recycling here... :)

I have a meeting in the Heights this afternoon...anyone have suggestions on a restaurant. I was thinking Jack in the Box on 20th & N Shep. for the .99 menu :), but then thought I might see if I could get some nice cheap/yummy suggestions for a place I've never been before.

Thanks in advance

I have a meeting in the Heights this afternoon...anyone have suggestions on a restaurant. I was thinking Jack in the Box on 20th & N Shep. for the .99 menu :), but then thought I might see if I could get some nice cheap/yummy suggestions for a place I've never been before.

Thanks in advance

Vietnam Restaurant on 19th near Shepherd. Good vermicelli bowls, inexpensive.

Edited by crunchtastic

I have a meeting in the Heights this afternoon...anyone have suggestions on a restaurant. I was thinking Jack in the Box on 20th & N Shep. for the .99 menu :) , but then thought I might see if I could get some nice cheap/yummy suggestions for a place I've never been before.

Thanks in advance

Try Asia Market on the north side of Calvacade between Studewood and Airline. Small Thai market with a little kitchen in the back and a small but tasty menu. Not an expert but seems like pretty authentic homestyle cooking given that I think its the owners grandparents cooking with the produce and other goods they actually sell at the store.

Did they open back up yet? Been expanding/renovating the past several weeks. We need to try it.

Hmm. I haven't been since before Thanksgiving. Didn't even know they were closed.

Just thought of something else. A lot of people don't agree, but I've always liked Spanish Flowers for cheap texmex plates. They've got some of the best salsa in town.

Spanish FLowers has a great patio, if nothing else.

Also, I havent' been but friends are RAVING about the Chicago Pizza joint (is it on main or airline?), friends from CHICAGO nonetheless! there is also some Chicago meat place? i don't know what that is all about but they say it's good. can anyone enlighten me?

also, bedford has a sign "now serving lunch." probably more of a business lunch than a casual lunch, but might be worth checking out...

i wish the original author would come back and comment. i wonder if he has come to find how much variety there really is in our little corner of the world?

Also, I havent' been but friends are RAVING about the Chicago Pizza joint (is it on main or airline?), friends from CHICAGO nonetheless! there is also some Chicago meat place? i don't know what that is all about but they say it's good. can anyone enlighten me?

A buddy of mine here at the office goes to the Chicago Beef place for lunch take out and raves about it. I'm not a fan of 'chicago beef'. It tastes to me like overcooked roast beef soaked in Italian dressing. They have burgers and cheesesteaks and gyros, too. On Cavalcade and Airline, I think.

Edited by crunchtastic

The Heights, when it became part of Houston, made sure that the area in the boundries referenced above remained dry and they wanted it that way forever and ever amen.
As far as I know, the Heights voted to remain dry when it was annexed by Houston, but has always had the option to become wet by a vote from those in the area. I don