The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

You are thinking of the Kroger on 20th. There is a Subway in that development.

There is no Subway in Merchants Park, which is on 11th.

There is a subway at the Kroger on 11th and Shepherd....I don't know if that is Merchant's Park, but its new. Its only been there about 3 months, maybe.

There is one empty storefront between the new subway and the recently remodeled Kroger. Then the subway, and then an auto parts store, etc....working your way to the Chinese Buffet at the end.

• 2 months later...

I live out here also and the lack of restaurants you see here compared to the suburbs amazes me. Most of the new stuff are tailored to individual taste as opposed to families

I thought with the addition of shops on Shepherd we would get something else better than a Subway.

I live out here also and the lack of restaurants you see here compared to the suburbs amazes me. Most of the new stuff are tailored to individual taste as opposed to families

IMO, regularly feeding your family restaurant food is a rather expensive, unhealthy suburban practice that is the result of 2 working parents or single parents that cannot regulary home-cook meals for their children. Also higher income families that can regularly afford retail meals are new to this area, so the market is still nascent. I take my family of five to dinner for special occasions and that limited activity will not support a diverse family-oriented market. When we first moved here in 1992 (sans children) we were amazed as well. At that time we had 11th Street Cafe and some taquerias. With the T-Rex appetites of teenage boys in the house, I don't even notice it as a problem anymore.

There's a lot of great restaurants inside the Loop vs. the suburbs, imo, but Heights may be getting left behind a little.

I'm guessing that the Heights proper isn't as attractive based on traffic count and historical demographic data (lower density and per capita income). Of course, the per capita income has been increasing, but then there's the proximity to so many great restaurants closer in the loop - close enough that it probably hurts restaurant opportunity in the Heights. And the area is out of the way for folks living south of I-10, who already have a great number of restaurant choices in Montrose, Midtown, the CBD and River Oaks.

I suspect White Oak Dr. could turn eventually out to be the one exception due to spillover from Washington and proximity to the I-10 interchange. I would like to see at least one great restaurant in the neighborhood, or at least greater diversity.

Edited by barracuda

I wonder to what extent existing regulations are providing a disincentive for restaurants to move into the Heights.

I'm thinking specifically about liquor licensing and minimum parking requirements.

There are a lot of empty retail buildings along Yale, for example, that, absent these issues, would seem to make good restaurant locations.

This is a thread from 2006. I think the days of complaining about a lack of restaurants in the Heights are coming to an end. Bistro Zelko, Stella Sola, Glass Wall, and Shade provide plenty of options for a nice (or very nice) night out. Lola, Big Mamou, Onion/Dry Creek, Jenni's Noodle House, Pie in the Sky, the Vietnam Restaurant, Collina's, Jus' Mac, Thai Spice, Berryhill, Craftsmen, Revival Market and Pink's provide plenty of diversity in casual dining choices. And then there are Heights originals like Carter and Cooley, Crickets, Java Java, and Chilosos. Plenty more to come, including Tacos a go go, Christian's tailgate, D'Amico's, and Becks Prime. I just heard about a great new place that is just serving breakfast on Yale called "Down House" http://www.downhousehouston.com/. Been open a week or two. Then there are the rumors about a revival of Washington Ave's Corkscrew on W 20th. The Heights will never have the kind of restaurant density that exists in and around Westheimer in Montrose, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 1

We eat out as a family once a week, the rest is all home cooking. It's too expensive and bad for you to do it any more than that.

There is way more good stuff to eat inside the loop than in the burbs. I hate my business trips to Plano, it's all chain BS full of Lexus SUV driving a-holes. The thread title is definitely out of date, but we just kept it going as new things got added to the neighborhood.

I wish Hubcap would update their website and put something about the new location, like hours. I'm sure I could dig for that in some article on the internet from 9 months ago, but right now I don't feel like it.

I just heard about a great new place that is just serving breakfast on Yale called "Down House" http://www.downhousehouston.com/. Been open a week or two. Then there are the rumors about a revival of Washington Ave's Corkscrew on W 20th. The Heights will never have the kind of restaurant density that exists in and around Westheimer in Montrose, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

down house opened just two days ago on monday. corkscrew is all ready working on space in an old strip mall on the north side of 20th just after Bevis.

I think the days of complaining about a lack of restaurants in the Heights are coming to an end.

The Heights will never have the kind of restaurant density that exists in and around Westheimer in Montrose, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Not sure how a place can both have and not have diversity at the same time, but you have just stated such in the same thread.

Not sure how a place can both have and not have diversity at the same time, but you have just stated such in the same thread.

I was talking about density in the last sentence partly in response to the comment that traffic counts/demographics may be why there aren't more restaurants in the Heights. My point is that there is plenty of diversity in Heights restaurants without needing the denisty of an area like Montrose/Westheimer.

Good to hear that Corkscrew is coming back.

I just heard about a great new place that is just serving breakfast on Yale called "Down House" http://www.downhousehouston.com/. Been open a week or two.

Went there for breakfast this morning. They did a really nice job building out the space. It seems like more of a bar/lounge layout than a restaurant; they'll eventually start staying open until 2AM, presumably after they get their private club license, but will serve food until closing. They have a proper espresso setup, and are doing very nice espresso drinks (similar in style to Catalina). It looks like they're set up for a dozen beer taps (very similar setup to Anvil's).

It's table service, and the omelets we had were pretty good, though not cheap ($7-10, and aside from a grilled tomato garnish, an omelet is the only thing on the plate). We'll definitely go back, maybe for the pulled pork and fried egg breakfast torta.

Lunch service started today; dinner soon.

I'm amazed that folks still think there aren't enough good restaurants in the neighborhood. Seriously? Only in rare cases do wifey and I ever feel the need to leave the neighborhood at all (waiting for good Indian food to make it way in though).

Plus I suspect there are several gems many have not tried yet. Heights Asian Cafe is really good, and a heck of a lot better than the boarded up Long John Silvers it used to be. Jus Mac. BB's Cajun opened up this past weekend on White Oak as did Happy Fatz just down the street. Pinks and Chicago make great pizza. Shade, Glass Wall, Stella Sola are the more upscale wine and dine establishments. Chilosos rocks the breakfast burrito. Tampicos for seafood, mexican food...well, thats easy to find. Comfort food? Zelko Bistro...amazing. And I really do enjoy Lolas as well. Casual outdoor setting? Pick a Creek, we have 3 of them. Jennies Noodle House on 19th, Thai Spice, and dont forget about that little Asia Thai grocery store up on West Cavalcade. Carter and Cooley or Dacapos for sandwiches, plus the newest lunch option Revival Market. Heights Ashbury on 19th has a good vegetarian component.

And how many folks are aware that Sweet Tea up on 19th serves up really good italian dishes on Friday night with live acoustic guitar? Talk about awesome. Capellini's is another good local Italian option and Collina's always seems packed.

And lets not forget Christians Tailgate is a couple weeks away from opening, the newly remodeled King Biscuit isn't too far away either. Taco's a GoGo and D'Amicos are being built out now. And whatever restaurant that will be on the corner of Studemont and 11th seems to have most of its infrastructure done so it can't be too far away at this point. Becks Prime...sooner or later they'll start the remodel.

I have no lack of great food options around here....not sure why others don't see it.