The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

What a great idea!

My list would be:

• Vietnam Restaurant (spicy fried eggplant)
  • Christian's Tailgate (burgers are some of the best i've ever had)
  • Candelari's (although seems to be going downhill in quality lately?)
  • Asia Market (truly incredible Thai)
  • Mam's House of Ice

I'm probably just under the quota on Berryhill, El Rey, Chilosos, Lola andSpanish Flowers.

Nundini on Shepherd sells awesome muffaletta bread and their muffaletta sandwich (about $7) is pretty good. I liked Carter and Cooleys muffaletta but you have to ignore the employee who tells you to put jalapenos on it. He's an LSU grad who has been in Texas too long!

(I'm also from BR)

My wife brought me one from Nundini for lunch today, it was really good. It's a bit less stacked than I would want, and I like my olive salad a little more tangy, but it will definitely do as a local option when the craving comes along.

There has been a lot of activity at the abandoned concrete warehouse building on the north side of Washington between Knox and Birdsall, just east of Benjy's. About a month or so ago, they spruced the place up, put in canopy's and spotlights and had some sort of late-night event/party... Since then they poured a concrete parking lot on the front of the site (used to be an old wood frame commercial property "The Thomas Collection" which you can still see on Google StreetView. I spoke with a guy who seemed to be overseeing things there last week and he said they are putting in a new Sushi restaurant on the first floor and I thought he said a wine cellar upstairs. Hopefully a a great, sustainable, addition to the Washington Corridor!

Some other news after some snooping further east on Washington. According to the realtor marketing the properties, those modern four story townhomes, the ones they wanted 600K for just east of Reign Lounge at Jackson Hill (they were abandoned mid-construction and the exposed insulation blowing in the wind has been an eyesore for months now) are finally going to be finished. In fact, the two on Washington will be torn down. The middle one will be a lawyer's office, with the rear two units now being finished for sale. The front will be parking for the lawyer's office. Makes sense for the lawyer's office in the middle one -- who would want to live right next door to Reign lounge and look down on Washington Ave for 600K+???.

Now I wish I went to Jazzy's Cafe before they closed... shame.

Speaking of the Jazzy Cafe...the old Jazzy Cafe is now Gatlin's BBQ & Catering, which opened this week.

Stopped by today for lunch and give a big thumbs up for the brisket and pulled pork. Super nice family running the joint.

www.gatlinsbbq.com

There has been a lot of activity at the abandoned concrete warehouse building on the north side of Washington between Knox and Birdsall, just east of Benjy's. About a month or so ago, they spruced the place up, put in canopy's and spotlights and had some sort of late-night event/party... Since then they poured a concrete parking lot on the front of the site (used to be an old wood frame commercial property "The Thomas Collection" which you can still see on Google StreetView. I spoke with a guy who seemed to be overseeing things there last week and he said they are putting in a new Sushi restaurant on the first floor and I thought he said a wine cellar upstairs. Hopefully a a great, sustainable, addition to the Washington Corridor!

Some other news after some snooping further east on Washington. According to the realtor marketing the properties, those modern four story townhomes, the ones they wanted 600K for just east of Reign Lounge at Jackson Hill (they were abandoned mid-construction and the exposed insulation blowing in the wind has been an eyesore for months now) are finally going to be finished. In fact, the two on Washington will be torn down. The middle one will be a lawyer's office, with the rear two units now being finished for sale. The front will be parking for the lawyer's office. Makes sense for the lawyer's office in the middle one -- who would want to live right next door to Reign lounge and look down on Washington Ave for 600K+???.

I thought that thing next to Benjy's was wine storage.

I hope this counts as answering your question and not self promotion, but I am the founder of We Heart Massage. We've updated our website http://weheartmassage.com and hope to see you soon.

Does anyone have the scoop for We Heart Massage on White Oak in the old Sew Crafty location? I'm not exactly sure what a massage co-op is, but the thought of walking two blocks to grab a massage sounds a-ok to me, especially if the prices are good.

Makes sense. All i know is that i just booked a massage at $45/hr and it's about a block and half away. Very dangerous .... sort of like living next to the new WalMart and needing a car battery at 2AM. I mean, what's to stop you from going all the time? (If that doesn't make sense, Angie, feel free to wade through the WalMart thread here. Also, welcome to the Heights and to HAIF)

• Like 1

I thought that thing next to Benjy's was wine storage.

He mentioned that the guy said wine storage on the 2nd floor. I originally heard wine storage only too, so if it is true that they plan on putting a restaurant on the 1st floor, then that is great news!

You know, I only saw What's up Cupcake once and I travel that path at least six times a week. I saw the owner give some flaky excuse somewhere about it, so I sort of lost hope.

Pie in the Sky is WONDERFUL!! I love all their food and their desserts are great. Go a la mode! Mango Beach on White Oak is supposed to have some yumminess too, but I haven't made it over yet.

Does anyone know what is up with 'Whats Up Cupcake'? I've been by the lot at 14th and Shepherd the past two nights around 7 PM and nothing there. On their website they list their hours in two separate places and they conflict, but both said they would be there on Tuesday evenings. Have they moved or gone out of business?

Frosted Betty will be in front of OoLaLa on Studewood every Thursday afternoon. I stopped in when I saw the sign hanging in their window. I thought maybe the baby store was moving out and cupcake bakery moving in but they are just going to be pulling up their trailer.

Frosted Betty will be in front of OoLaLa on Studewood every Thursday afternoon. I stopped in when I saw the sign hanging in their window. I thought maybe the baby store was moving out and cupcake bakery moving in but they are just going to be pulling up their trailer.

Were they the folks there during White Linen Night? Crowds kept us out of that particular shop, but the view we got looked delicious.

• 5 weeks later...

And in other news, something appears to be going on at the building on the corner of White Oak at Oxford with the "soul food coming soon" sign (also known as extra parking for Onion Creek). To the latter point, my understanding is that the owners of the Creek properties do own this place. In the last couple weeks, the place has been tented for pest control, and there is a large dumpster out back for construction-related trash. I don't think that soul food will actually be coming there any time soon, but please post if you know something.

• 1 month later...

Must you do this to every thread?

No. I haven't done this in every thread. Why don't you jump on the people that go pro-Walmart on every thread? Sorry, but this board is not just for people who think that everything a developer does is gold. People are free to express themselves on this board however they please. If you can't handle that, you are free to go.

• Like 1

No one said anything about not being able to freely express yourself on this board. However, it is considered a common courtesy to those who start threads to stay on topic instead of rudely hijacking them, especially with unrelated, touchy subjects.

On another note, doesn't this particular subject regarding a lack of restaurant diversity in the Heights seem rather quaint now?

• 4 months later...