Hulda

torvald

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
another mysterious thread (and with a kick-ass guitar, i might add :D )

I was thinking the same thing. That old gibson was a pretty fancy

model. If it's still alive, I'm sure it's worth quite a bit.

The prices on those things are going through the roof. I don't

have any old high end gibsons, but I have a 1960 gibson melody

maker that I bought off fleabay for $600 in 2001. Going by the

usual going bids on those lately, it's already doubled in value

since I bought it. The 59/60 MM'ers were single cut like a

late 50's les paul jr, and get a premium vs the later dual

cut SG'ish MMers after 61.

MK

I downloaded her songs and nonchalantly put them in my mix c.d.

...Everyone likes her!!!!! :lol:

i'm glad you folks encouraged me to post the songs and info in the first place.

just in case: they're here

she's moving up on my i-tunes play count as well...

If I were a straight guy, I might find myself exploring "the lay of Hulda"-but looking at the album cover, I'm thinking Elmer-so caught in her web that his date, Edna is the furthest thing from his mind...anyway, poor Edna: so much hair and yet so little appeal when compared with the hypnotic spell our Hulda has cast on the hapless Elmer.

I do indeed worship at the lay of Hulda...so to speak. :wub:

:lol:

B)

• 1 year later...
i am now the official proud owner of a Hulda LP. apparently, she never made anything other than the "Live at the Summit" album...

now i'm just waiting for the xanax-look to set in :P

Holy cow! That is excellent! The sole album by The Icelandic Songbird. Where did you find it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Did a bit of research on the Summit Club, and it looks like it may have been around for a while - I saw references to it in the Galveston paper from 1968 to 1977. Given some posts above, I laughed when I saw that one of the people listed as speaking at the club was Dick Semaan.

You know, we're not that big of a site, but I'm still a bit surprised that Hulda, or someone who knew her, hasn't turned up.

Hulda where art thou? :D

So at this point has anyone soul confirmed where this Summit Club place was? Judging by the dated pic it had to be in mid 60's (the beehive do's) so most couples jamming to her sounds must have been young couples in mid 20's to late 30's?

So those young couples are now about mid 60's so our Houston couple around that age must have heard or seen the elusive Hulda?

Here is one possible question that may be an answer...

There was a Hotel Continental on Main Street right across where the downtown U of H now stands. Is it possible this Summit Club was within that very hotel? I have slight memory of the Continental Hotel and was wondering if anyone has ever brought it up on Haif?

The Continental Hotel - mainstreet Houston, Texas. Remained closed for a long time then finally demolished in early 80's??? The sign could be seen all the way from Foleys to the south. The sign was vertical and slendar.

I will flip backwards if anyone can confirm this hotel and if this is where songstress Hulda used to serenade young lovers as they flirted, made eyes & and sipped Corvasier? :wub:

and what is this link all about? is that her answering fan mail today???

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=77590628

She actually looks very much like ill fated actress Inger Stevens whom was from Sweden (coincidence)

recording.jpg

So at this point has anyone soul confirmed where this Summit Club place was? Judging by the dated pic it had to be in mid 60's (the beehive do's) so most couples jamming to her sounds must have been young couples in mid 20's to late 30's?

So those young couples are now about mid 60's so our Houston couple around that age must have heard or seen the elusive Hulda?

Here is one possible question that may be an answer...

There was a Hotel Continental on Main Street right across where the downtown U of H now stands. Is it possible this Summit Club was within that very hotel? I have slight memory of the Continental Hotel and was wondering if anyone has ever brought it up on Haif?

The Continental Hotel - mainstreet Houston, Texas. Remained closed for a long time then finally demolished in early 80's??? The sign could be seen all the way from Foleys to the south. The sign was vertical and slendar.

I will flip backwards if anyone can confirm this hotel and if this is where songstress Hulda used to serenade young lovers as they flirted, made eyes & and sipped Corvasier? :wub:

and what is this link all about? is that her answering fan mail today???

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=77590628

She actually looks very much like ill fated actress Inger Stevens whom was from Sweden (coincidence)

recording.jpg

Try search. I think I posted a picture of the Continental a while back. Quite swank.

• 3 years later...

HULDA LIVE: I'm the daughter of the man behind that beauty, who arranged the music for HULDA (Jim - read the back cover). I met Hulda when she and my dad recorded this LP together; my dad took me to the Summit Club. For years, I thought I had the only copy of this LP. I came across this thread in 2009, downloaded the MP3 onto a CD for my dad and shared it with him. My dad was a jazz/classical guitarist here in Houston who played around town from the late 1950’s to the 80’s. Hulda went back to Iceland, many years ago, probably sometime after the recording. I'm not sure of her status, but when my son was in the first grade, he had a classmate from Iceland whose mother was a physician doing a rotation here. As it turns out her mother was best friends with Hulda. Best!

I just did a Google search on the name "Hulda" I found her website. Two websites in fact. And they still work.

[ur]http://www.myspace.com/huldasummit

You'll find four of her songs you can listen to. My favorite is Yellow Bird.

You'll find she has/had? a beautiful singing voice, and I love the odd hybrid accent you get when a woman from Iceland sings a song of the Caribbean islands in English. She does it beautifully.

There's also a link to another website.

http://www.aynart.com/hulda

• 3 months later...

I have recently obtained this album and have tried to find more information on Hulda. I s there any more information about her other than the album? Also the album came from my Grandmother and Grandfather who did see her in person and the album is autographed by Hulda but I do not recognize the last name. I would be interested in more information.

• 2 years later...

I know... I'm digging up a really old thread, but my mom was humming "Tiny Bubbles" the other day, and I had to search for this.

Hulda doesn't have a myspace anymore (who does?), but where can I go to download these songs again? This is one of the greatest treasures on this site. 

Archived