Diamond Way Buddhist Center At 2217 W. 34th St.

Orikal

I've done plenty of searches online, but would like to know if anyone here attends any specific temples/zendos/etc. and enjoys the dharma and atmosphere.

I've decided to start attending again after a hiatus due to some bad experiences, and would like to avoid repeating said experiences.

Just looking for anyone's suggestions.

:)

didn't it just reopen recently? they had a fire wish basically gutted the inside. It is southEAST of downtown

that's what i meant :blush:

yeah, i believe the fire was in january of 2004, and it reopened in january of this year

• 7 months later...

Orikal:

There's another Buddhist Center West of the city in the Bellaire are near to HWY 6. Do not recall the exact name and address, I'll like also to learn more about Buddhism and ws planning to attend that temple

I've decided to start attending again after a hiatus due to some bad experiences, and would like to avoid repeating said experiences.

Just looking for anyone's suggestions.

Can you elaborate more about your bad experiences..?? Somthing special to look for..???

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
There's also the Houston Zen Center on Heights Boulevard - the links section of their website has a list of other Houston-based Buddhist and Zen sites.

There is a Vietnamese buddhist temple on Synott between Bissonett & West Bellfort. There is a Chinese Buddhist temple on Bellaire between Wilcrest & ?(across from Haliburton/KBR). There is a Buddhist temple on Edgebrook and 45s.

The one on at 45 and Milby doesn't look very big. I think its about the same as the one off of BW8, which is at the end of Turtlewood or Turtle-something. It doesn't look very big either, but there are classrooms (I think) to teach Chinese languages.

The one on at 45 and Milby doesn't look very big. I think its about the same as the one off of BW8, which is at the end of Turtlewood or Turtle-something. It doesn't look very big either, but there are classrooms (I think) to teach Chinese languages.

It is not the one that i'm mentioning. The one i'm talking about is actually a house used as a Buddhist temple. It is in the Edgebrook and 45s area. Can't remember the exact street.

Orikal:

There's another Buddhist Center West of the city in the Bellaire are near to HWY 6. Do not recall the exact name and address, I'll like also to learn more about Buddhism and ws planning to attend that temple

Can you elaborate more about your bad experiences..?? Somthing special to look for..???

Thanks.

Wow, I missed all these recent posts.

A brief backgound: I attended the Sweetwater Zen Center in San Diego for a while, and loved the atmosphere. People were open and welcoming, the Seisen exuded a learned and soothing nature, and everything was open for scrutiny and discussion. It was a group of people simply there to learn more (about whatever). The Zendo (despite not being in the greatest area of town) was always open, at any time, for those who wished to utilize it.

Without mentioning where I attended, this center was the exact opposite. The instructor came off as very rigid, was openly (rolled eyes, etc.) annoyed by my questions (especially when asked if the Zendo could be used at off times, since I work odd hours), clearly even mocked me at one point, and the other visitors that evening seemed a little intimidated, most of which I attribute to the teacher. I've been to several centers outside TX and never encountered such an atmosphere. Despite practicing for several years, it was off-putting enough for me to lessen my practice for quite a while, which is a shame. (Western) Buddhism is not about being rigid and stuck in the past. it was an enormously dissapointing visit.

I have done a lot of research and know of most of the suggestions presented here. However, I'm really looking for people's experiences at these centers, since I'm a little gun-shy at this point.

http://www.houstonbuddhism.org/

Chung Mei Buddhist Temple, located in Stafford (Southwest Houston), off Beltway 8 @ W. Airport Blvd, or you can exit W. Airport from 59 and turn east, toward the Beltway. It's on the Houston/Stafford line. They have a HUUUUGE fenced property right off W. Airport and as best as I can tell from a distance, the building is quite beautiful... however, there's about a 10 acre yard from the road to the building!

Anyone have close-up pics? Are we allowed on the property to take pictures?

-Michael

• 3 months later...

A friend of mine is a monk at the Chung Tai Zen Center of Houston (www.cthouston.org). It's on Bellaire, between Kirkwood and Cook. Although originally from Taiwan, they apparently offer a variety of classes in English. I'm not to sure as to the atmosphere since I'm only a Buddhist by heritage, but whenever I discuss issues of politics and religion with my friend he has been very open-minded about these things.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
It seems an unlikely location, but there is a Buddhist temple in Dickinson, on 646 near Hwy. 6. I noticed it riding one day, stopped, and the monks gave me a tour. Very cool. :)

Here's the legend:

"Siddartha's (the founder of Buddhism) mother (in around 560 B.C.E.) dreamed that when a white elephant's trunk touched her side, she became pregnant. The unborn Buddha, then existing four cosmic levels above the human plane of existence, in the Heaven of the Satisfied Gods, had been waiting for a pure and worthy mother to appear on earth."

• The title was changed to Diamond Way Buddhist Center At 2217 W. 34th St.