Want To Be On Tv?

ssullivan

Oct. 29, 2004, 6:20AM

'Airline' reality show coming here

By BILL HENSEL JR.

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

DALLAS - Want to be on TV?

Houston Hobby Airport will be added to the locations where the A&E Networks series about life at Southwest Airlines is filmed.

The show focuses on travelers with stories ranging from heartwarming personal moments to frustrating problems.

During its first two seasons, the show Airline has been filmed at Los Angeles International, Chicago Midway and Baltimore/Washington International airports.

Various segments have highlighted difficult timetables travelers face, problems in dealing with heightened security measures and weather-related problems.

Production on the third season is to begin early next year, with new episodes premiering later in the year.

Southwest Airlines President Colleen Barnett said Thursday that she enjoys watching employees deal with every travel situation imaginable. It's also a recruiting plus: Normally there's a spike in online job applications on the morning after the show runs.

She noted that the employees handle them with grace and compassion. The large majority of the 82 million passengers who fly on Southwest every year have little knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes at an airline, she said.

"Airline is a wonderful way to share with the world why people fly and what role Southwest plays," she said during the carrier's annual media day.

Southwest carries more than 80 percent of the passengers who move through Houston's second-largest airport, after Bush Intercontinental. Southwest has more than 140 flights a day out of Hobby and has been flying from the airport for most of its 33-year history.

Bob DeBitetto, the senior vice president for programming with A&E, said in a prepared statement that Airline will strive to continue to put stories on the air that fans of the show find engaging, funny and poignant.

"Airline has more than earned its wings," he said.

bill.hensel@chron.com

Article on Chronicle website

I've watched this show a couple of times; it's pretty good.

Wonder if some people, seeing TV cameras, will unleash their inner Drama Queen?

There are those who will do anything to be on TV, no matter how humiliating i.e. Springer Guests...

I've watched this show a couple of times; it's pretty good.

Wonder if some people, seeing TV cameras, will unleash their inner Drama Queen?

There are those who will do anything to be on TV, no matter how humiliating i.e. Springer Guests...

On several episoes I've wondered if the people causing trouble were just being worse because of the TV cameras and their desire to guarantee the footage made it on the air.

I love the show, although I wish for once they'd have an episode that does not have a passenger who's too drunk to fly. That got old in the first season, and season two was still full of it.

It will be interesting to watch the local episodes and see if anyone we know turns up on them.

Archived