Big Head On Main Street By David Adickes

dbigtex56

While riding the the train yesterday, I saw a crane lifting a huge head into position on the west side of Main Street (just north of the old Savoy hotel).

In fairness, I just got a glimpse of the thing, but got the impression that it was the sort of sculpture one might buy at the airport as a last-minute gift, but on a grander scale.

Has anyone else seen it? Is my impression correct? And whose idea was this, anyway?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to go check this out. There is indeed a very big head on Main Street. It is on a concrete base on that grassy lot adjacent to the Savoy, so I assume it will be permanent. There is no indication of the name of the sculptor, perhaps to protect his reputation.

Although it is not as big as those big presidential heads, which are really freakishly large, it is still big enough to be noticeable. If you were to see it I think you would say, "Aha! There is that big head!"

I'm thinking it may be the same artist, though, David Adickes.

...There is indeed a very big head on Main Street...

This has to be one of the weirdest threads yet. I mean, Houstonians dont seem to think anything strange about a shoe driving down the gulf freeway, or a large lizard goind down memorial drive with bubbles poping out of it's ass. But a large head on Main Street, now that gets our attention.

A while back Adickes also proposed a 280-foot giant cowboy for next to a freeway around San Marcos (I think). That would be interesting. If he could build it in Houston that would certainly give us some brand identity.

What identity? That we are HUGE rednecks?

Archived