All About Kbxx 97.9 The Box

citykid09

^^^^

WHAT?!?!

On another note, I love Nnete, but Letoya Luckett fit in PERFECTLY on 97.9 the Box. That girl is hilarious. The last two times she has guest hosted the show while Nnete has been on vacation, have been some of the funniest I've ever heard on 97.9. Like a hand in glove, Letoya fits in on that morning show.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just figured it out. Carmen just came back to 97.9 the box today and Brandi Garcia will still be at 97.9 the box now at night (a spot where they usually have just dj's but now see will be on with them). I guess here and Ricky Smiley in Dallas just didn't work out for her. So now Rickey Smiley is looking for a new co-host.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I don't know whats up with Carmen, There is a new Rap artist that is gaining exposure... check out his website... www.kapwatch.com This guy is unlike anyone I have ever heard coming out of Houston, check him out.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Party 104.9 is horrible in the mourning

So is every radio station. 96.5 Women trying to do the "That's a fact Jack!" sounds lame, Rod Ryan selling "BUD LIGHT" and "TIME WARNER DIGITAL CABLE." Oh wait "Sheriff John Bunell here to annoy you about HD radio, Just like regular radio but MORE commercials."

• 3 weeks later...

Interactive Hip Hop and R&B. WTF???!! I also just found out that The Box's sister station in Detroit did the same thing with their slogan. That's what happens when station owners try to use the same slogan for ten stations; no creativity at all. I wish the slogan was "The People's Station", it has more community commitment feeling to it.

Interactive Hip Hop and R&B. WTF???!! I also just found out that The Box's sister station in Detroit did the same thing with their slogan. That's what happens when station owners try to use the same slogan for ten stations; no creativity at all. I wish the slogan was "The People's Station", it has more community commitment feeling to it.

And they said KBXX was the first and only Hip-Hop and R&B Station in the world. I guess not anymore.

And they said KBXX was the first and only Hip-Hop and R&B Station in the world. I guess not anymore.

Bwahaha. Half the Urban stations with heritage status mostly played R&B and soul. Many of those have evolved their playlist to include Hip Hop and Rap around the late 80s to early 90s. Keep in mind many of these stations played dance music back when it was popular with Black folks in that timeframe and not the Techno crap out today. As for 97.9 being the first, that's bull____; there may have been other stations with the format that came out around the same time, so that may not suffice.

Bwahaha. Half the Urban stations with heritage status mostly played R&B and soul. Many of those have evolved their playlist to include Hip Hop and Rap around the late 80s to early 90s. Keep in mind many of these stations played dance music back when it was popular with Black folks in that timeframe and not the Techno crap out today. As for 97.9 being the first, that's bull____; there may have been other stations with the format that came out around the same time, so that may not suffice.

Is 97.9 the only "Box"? Its really original I have never heard of another station called the box.

Radio station usually take names from New York's "Hot" and others major cities "Beat" etc.

Was Majic 102 the first "Majic"?

And yes lockmat they still do the roll call. I listened this morning and they did it on the Madd Hatta Morning Show. And they do it in the evenings, I just don't know what times and if its everyday.

And yes lockmat they still do the roll call. I listened this morning and they did it on the Madd Hatta Morning Show. And they do it in the evenings, I just don't know what times and if its everyday.

yeah! Roll Call is sweet

Is 97.9 the only "Box"? Its really original I have never heard of another station called the box.

Radio station usually take names from New York's "Hot" and others major cities "Beat" etc.

Was Majic 102 the first "Majic"?

Right now I don't really care who or what station had the nicknames first. From what my cousin told me "The Beat" was first used in LA - that station has since changed formats due to loss of Black folks in Southern Cali. But most Urban stations elsewhere have other nicknames such as:

*"Power" - as in long defunct Power 97.5

*"V" (as in Variety or V103)

*"Wild" - I lived in the Bay Area, and the hip hop station there was first to use it. Strangly enough that station has the same owner as its powerhouse rival KMEL - both hip hop stations but KMEL is urban.

*"The Bomb" - example: Sacramento's 103.5 The Bomb

*"Jamz"

*"KISS FM" - it mainly applied to some R&B/soul stations back then. Until Clear Channel trademarked it for its Top 40 Pop clones like the one in Austin.

I could go on listing nicknames but I don't keep track of others that much.

oh my goodness, 97.9 the box is still around?!?!? lol geez the mad hatter was a dj on there since i was in high school in '98 and i remember when i would listen to it every once in a while the roll coll would make me laugh especially when the person on the phone was trying to flow, LOL....what's ur name, what's ur citaay....hahaha memories

we need a third hip hop station man really bad

Forget it. I'd rather a second Urban AC/R&B station be needed in the city to compete with 102. Just as long as the signal isn't a rimshot, it'll be around for five years at least.

By OTHER I am assuming you mean the first two are 97.9 (The Box) and 101.1 (Latino and Proud)?

I'm not sure why you'd consider a Latino station to be hip-hop, but I'm pretty sure kennyc05 is referring to Party 104.9.

From what my cousin told me "The Beat" was first used in LA - that station has since changed formats due to loss of Black folks in Southern Cali. But most Urban stations elsewhere have other nicknames such as:

Has your cousin been to Southern California? No blacks? That's a joke.

• 9 months later...

Big changes at KBXX, They have gotten rid of a lot of people. The Hollywood boys are gone, Carmen is gone from the midday and more. Does anyone know what happened?

And please don't respond by saying get XM radio, I am tired of hearing that.

Even though I didnt care for Carmen I hate to see anyone lose their job I also dont think Party 93.3 will be on the air that much longer not to good of a station we need a new hip hop station

I like the personalities and djs on Party 9.33 but the signal is no good.

97.9 on the other hand will suffer big time since they got rid of all these people. Brandi Garcia and the Hollywood Boys was one of the best radio shows I have heard in Houston, now its gone. I want to know why Radio One took from its Houston stations and not stations in other markets like Atlanta's WHTA? That station has alot of on air djs.

This will mess up Houston radio even more.

I like the personalities and djs on Party 9.33 but the signal is no good.

97.9 on the other hand will suffer big time since they got rid of all these people. Brandi Garcia and the Hollywood Boys was one of the best radio shows I have heard in Houston, now its gone. I want to know why Radio One took from its Houston stations and not stations in other markets like Atlanta's WHTA? That station has alot of on air djs.

This will mess up Houston radio even more.

No it wont hurt 979 Party 933 has horrible djs and it just doesnt sound professional

No it wont hurt 979 Party 933 has horrible djs and it just doesnt sound professional

97.9 has been around for a long time. If they are going to make changes bring in new talent. Don't just get rid of people. I wonder will they end up at 93.3 or in another market?

A new station is needed intown. I know some people may not think so, but I think it will help imrove the other 2 stations. Competition can only help.

It just makes me mad that Radio one just comes down to Houston and decides to cut djs. They know nothing about what works on radio in Houston.

Archived