Central Library At 500 McKinney St.

The Great Hizzy!

Yeah, it could easily be an area for refreshments and other areas would be no food/drink allowed.

Note, the coffeeshop at the Multnomah County Library (Portland Oregon, a huge coffee drinking area) failed. Here's some reasons. The poor homeless people that congregate there can't afford a 3 dollar drink. The staff all got nice staff discounts. With that business model, they couldn't keep the Starbucks in there. Just be aware, it doesn't always work in even the most progressive coffee drinking library going communities.

Note, the coffeeshop at the Multnomah County Library (Portland Oregon, a huge coffee drinking area) failed. Here's some reasons. The poor homeless people that congregate there can't afford a 3 dollar drink. The staff all got nice staff discounts. With that business model, they couldn't keep the Starbucks in there. Just be aware, it doesn't always work in even the most progressive coffee drinking library going communities.

LOL

Hilarious. Point well taken.

Like I said it's just as easy to check out the book and then take it home and read it. There are also many library-book-friendly cafes that are better than Starbucks. For example, the Coffee Guy chain (which was supposed to expand massively but as far as I could tell, didn't) had living-room style chairs and couches.

Like I said it's just as easy to check out the book and then take it home and read it. There are also many library-book-friendly cafes that are better than Starbucks. For example, the Coffee Guy chain (which was supposed to expand massively but as far as I could tell, didn't) had living-room style chairs and couches.

There was a coffee shop on Westheimer I used to frequent (Little Italy .. I think it's still there) that was like that. Like being in a strip center but the inside was like being in a house with a dining room and den.

Yes, everything in Houston: Bad. Everything in Austin: Good. ;-)

How many of the serious research libraries on the website you "once saw" do you suppose were city libraries as opposed to libraries at major research universities? Kind of comparing apples and oranges there.

I just did a search of HPL's card catalog of 12 randomly chosen books from the Modern Library list of 100 Best Novels and HPL had all 12 of them... 100%. That rather strongly suggests that, rather than a "small portion" as you assumed, they have a huge portion, if not all of them. And so what if they are "scattered all around the branch libraries? That is the way library systems are supposed to work... make the books available to the largest number and widest variety of people.

Once again, Houston 19514 to the rescue, protecting the defenseless city of Houston against those who would criticize it in order to make it better.

Where in my post did I say everything in Houston was bad and everything in Austin good? You are confusing me with someone else. But if you want to talk about libraries, UT has a far better library than all the libraries in Houston combined, and it is open for the Austin public to enjoy.

Plenty of those libraries were city libraries, including New York, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. All of those cities have a place where the average citizen can do serious research.

Absolutely it matters if those books are scattered across different branch libraries. If I am looking for a major work, I want to know that there is one location I can go to that will definitely have it. The experience of browsing a major collection and finding what you need is pretty much killed if you have to drive all over town.

I can't believe you actually got on the library catalog and did 12 separate searches just so you could respond to a post on HAIF.

Once again, Houston 19514 to the rescue, protecting the defenseless city of Houston against those who would criticize it in order to make it better.

Where in my post did I say everything in Houston was bad and everything in Austin good? You are confusing me with someone else. But if you want to talk about libraries, UT has a far better library than all the libraries in Houston combined, and it is open for the Austin public to enjoy.

Plenty of those libraries were city libraries, including New York, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. All of those cities have a place where the average citizen can do serious research.

Absolutely it matters if those books are scattered across different branch libraries. If I am looking for a major work, I want to know that there is one location I can go to that will definitely have it. The experience of browsing a major collection and finding what you need is pretty much killed if you have to drive all over town.

I can't believe you actually got on the library catalog and did 12 separate searches just so you could respond to a post on HAIF.

I can't believe you continually post your drivel with no effort to check your "facts", back them up or give sources.

Edited by Houston19514

Wow, there just isn't an emoticon suitable for my reaction to the above post. Houston 19514, if you want to believe that the Houston Public Library is a great research library, go right ahead, I won't try to stop you. I just wish it were better.

Of course you know very well I never said or implied any such thing. You do love your straw men, don't you?

First, I'm not sure it's even the mission of a city library to be a great research library. That's really a better mission for the universities. Second, given your rather fast and loose assumptions about what the Houston library has and doesn't have, color me skeptical that you really know much about how good of a research library it is. Third, despite your unsourced assertions, I remain unconvinced that there are very many city libraries ranked among the great research libraries of America. NY certainly is, probably Boston. After that, I'm not so sure. Chicago's public library, for example, does not appear to make any such claims for itself and certainly does not focus on research in its mission statements and master planning documents.

We can all wish it were better; No harm in that. But there's also no harm in (and a lot to gain from) approaching the subject fairly and honestly.

Reading over HPL's mission and so forth, I think they're pretty much on target - and improving with this round of renovations at the central location. Branch libraries would/could have more if there was more space and money. Those two important factors in libraries are almost always inadequate.

HPL is a member of HARLiC, however, which can help bridge some gaps.

Architecturally, I actually think it kind of reminds me of the main student research library at UT in Austin (Perry Castaneda). And I don't think it was ever trying to compete with the LBJ library, I mean, presidential libraries are totally different animals.

Edit:: Why don't we have a president from Rice or U of H yet so we can get a library????

Edited by cnote

Of course you know very well I never said or implied any such thing. You do love your straw men, don't you?

First, I'm not sure it's even the mission of a city library to be a great research library. That's really a better mission for the universities. Second, given your rather fast and loose assumptions about what the Houston library has and doesn't have, color me skeptical that you really know much about how good of a research library it is. Third, despite your unsourced assertions, I remain unconvinced that there are very many city libraries ranked among the great research libraries of America. NY certainly is, probably Boston. After that, I'm not so sure. Chicago's public library, for example, does not appear to make any such claims for itself and certainly does not focus on research in its mission statements and master planning documents.

We can all wish it were better; No harm in that. But there's also no harm in (and a lot to gain from) approaching the subject fairly and honestly.

If you never said or implied that Houston's library was a great research library, then what were you disputing in my original post??? Because all I did in that post was to lament that Houston did not have a great research library. If you agree that it doesn't have a great research library, then what's the argument?

Please don't tell me you went and read the Chicago library's mission statements and master planning documents for this little discussion, although based on past experience, I wouldn't put it past you.

When have I been unfair or dishonest?

Architecturally, I actually think it kind of reminds me of the main student research library at UT in Austin (Perry Castaneda). And I don't think it was ever trying to compete with the LBJ library, I mean, presidential libraries are totally different animals.

Edit:: Why don't we have a president from Rice or U of H yet so we can get a library????

George Bush the 1st had Rice in the running for his library. But he decided to give the G7 conference to Rice and Baker gave Rice the Baker Inst. thus A&M got the Bush library. Neither Bush went to the schools that got the libraries, A&M & SMU. I don't think LBJ went to UT and the Reagan and Clinton libraries are not even at a university.

Edited by gto250us

I can just imagine the planning meeting. "I really like how we've accomplished soulless and banal, but it's just not cheesy enough!"

Well, in all fairness they didn't have much to work with. That plaza was certainly bleak enough before, so a bit of cheese might be just the thing.

But if you want to talk about libraries, UT has a far better library than all the libraries in Houston combined, and it is open for the Austin public to enjoy.

Comparing University libraries to municipal libraries is apples and oranges, but since it is the University of Texas library it is available to the entire state, and we can all claim it with pride

• 1 month later...
Well? And? What's the big surprise?

they had a story on this earlier this week however i was helping a neighbor so didn't get to see it all. i remember something about some video games and new artwork on the outside somehow complementing with new artwork on the inside. they said its grand opening is next weekend.

Comparing University libraries to municipal libraries is apples and oranges, but since it is the University of Texas library it is available to the entire state, and we can all claim it with pride

You would do well to read my original point, which is nothing more than that Houston is short when it comes to major research libraries. If you want to drive all the way to Austin anytime you need something that our library doesn't have, be my guest. And there are municipal libraries with real research power.

Well, in all fairness they didn't have much to work with. That plaza was certainly bleak enough before, so a bit of cheese might be just the thing.

That's kind of what I meant... it was soulless and banal before; now they've made it cheesey. But maybe you're right and it will do some kind of trick for the place. I hope so.

Sure wish they had gone with the idea to build that big central library in Midtown. The residents of San Antonio and Seattle are loving their new central libraries.

When the present library openned the first time around, back in 1976 (I think), there was a serious problem with birds flying into the glass windows and dropping dead onto the plaza below. They said it was pretty unnerving to be sitting there inside the glassed area reading a book only to see a bird flying toward you and then.....splat!

Apparently the original building design allowed the birds to see through to the other side of the plaza, tricking them into thinking it was a clear flight path. It apparently took some time before any attempt was made to correct the problem. Patrons had to endure the bird encounters for awhile.

I can just imagine the planning meeting. "I really like how we've accomplished soulless and banal, but it's just not cheesy enough!"

Cheesy is good.

At least it doesn't have that red, white and blue big bird looking sculpture (now in front of GRB in Discovery Green).

That's progress in and of itself.

Cheesy is good.

At least it doesn't have that red, white and blue big bird looking sculpture (now in front of GRB in Discovery Green).

That's progress in and of itself.

Do you mean the Dubuffet Monument au Fantome?

9cf0105f-00de-4537-9267-bc8a8f195372.jpg

That was in front of 1100 Louisiana. Claes Oldenburg's Geometric Mouse was in library's plaza.

GeometricMouse-001.jpg

The Claes Oldenburg red sculpture, Geometric Mouse X, will be placed permanently on a new foundation at the corner of McKinney and Smith, in front of the Julia Ideson Building, where it will be more prominent. A civic art project will be added to the exterior of the building, facing the plaza.

HPL press release