Where Are Houston's Mexican Neigborhoods?

VisitingHouston

NOt true...I just came back from Rice Village...it's very cool...many small eclectic shops and some big chains too....I liked it...Makes me wonder though....There has to be more little pocket neighborhoods like this. C'mon guys, there has to be more of this here in Houston. Many of the comments I've heard so far fit with the stereotypical views people from outside have of Houston. This HAS to be a world-class city. 4th largest city in the nation and no pedestrian friendly neighborhoods (besides Rice Village)? Are you sure RPS324?

My first selection would have been around Cherryhurst in Montrose, but that didn't seem to fit your definition.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My first selection would have been around Cherryhurst in Montrose, but that didn't seem to fit your definition.

I'll check this out tomorrow...I guess I'm in the wrong thread...I'm not specifically looking for mexican or latino neighborhoods any more...I just want to see some pedestrian friendly neighborhoods...or some cool places to people watch....Is there anything like Melrose here?

Otilia's on Long Point. 7700 block, west of Wirt has incredible Mexican Food....not Tex Mex. The Rita's are out of this world and you must try the Cream of Pablano soup!

I'll try that later on this week...thanks

I'll check this out tomorrow...I guess I'm in the wrong thread...I'm not specifically looking for mexican or latino neighborhoods any more...I just want to see some pedestrian friendly neighborhoods...or some cool places to people watch....Is there anything like Melrose here?

I'll try that later on this week...thanks

Uptown Park is not a neighborhood per say, but it has great resturants and the people watching factors.

Other than that...have you been downtown?

Uptown Park is not a neighborhood per say, but it has great resturants and the people watching factors.

Other than that...have you been downtown?

Yeah..I really like downtown...I like the feel of it, especially Main Street...although I haven't been in the tunnel system, wonder how that is...Where is Uptown Park? (cross streets)

There is a great Mexican bakery that is just across Harty street from Canino's produce market. I don't know the name, but it is right next to the little convenience store. Great bakery items. Also, for a great breakfast taco, try Laredo Taqueria at 113 Cavalcade. It is about 1 mile from the Airline Market. They have a buffet type taco line and homemade tortillas. It is in an ugly little center, and I would guess most people would over look it. But those tacos are great! Very tasty!

The bakery is called El Bolio. It is good.

Nice places to walk in Houston and people watch...

1) Lower Westheimer Road starting near Dunlavy. Hit the antique shops. Grab a bite to eat at Brasil or Empire Cafe. Hit the vintage clothing shops and indie music stores. Stop into Sliders for pool and a frozen beverage. Go two blocks North of Westheimer when you hit Hugo's Restaurant to check out Cherryhurt Park and the great bungalows.

2) Rice Village. Walk the whole village and then hit the jogging path around the Rice campus (Rice Blvd, Main St, University Blvd, and Greenbriar). Great people watching, especially after work on a nice day

3) The Heights' old downtown area. It's been awhile since I've been there, but I think it's 19th St? Is Kaldi Cafe still open?

4) Memorial Park. Hit the jogging trail on a beautiful day. You'll see every type of person out, pass by the golf driving range, see families on picnics with pinatas, bikers, tennis center, etc...

5) Hermann Park on a weekend. People riding the train. Catch something at the Miller Outdoor Theater. Rent a paddle boat. Check out the Japanese Gardens. Walk the trail. All with great city views.

6) University of Houston campus. One of the best people watching scenes in the city. Very diverse. Once you deal with the cluster of surface parking, the inner campus is really quite attractive. Check out the UC Center and the Satellite Underground "hill".

7) Main St and Market Square areas on a weekend night, especially on special event weekends.

8) If you are gay or gay friendly, hit the Pacific St area just north of Westheimer and East of Montrose. A dense bar area and few with cover charges so lots of milling about. Nice front patio attached to Baba Yega's Restaurant to watch folks in the gayborhood.

9) Up and coming, the area around Post Midtown Square just South of downtown off of West Gray. Houston's best attempt at creating an urban friendly development. They are currently expanding the 4 block complex and a few more sites are going up near there (the Edge and CitiPlace)

i want to go back to the painting of trees thing.

When I was a kid my Grandpa in Waco had a few tree trunks painted white. When I asked why, he told me it was to keep bugs out. He died shortly after that and I never saw another tree trunk painted until I went to Mexico many years later.

I was in Cozumel sitting at a bar watching out the window. There were a crew of mexicans working on the street. Each with a gallon of paint and paint brush. They were painting everything from the waste down white. The trees, the bushes, the curb, the fence, everything. I remember thinking how funny that was.

A few years back a hispanic family bought a house a few doors down from me. There is (was) a beautiful magnolia tree in the center of the front yard. Within a week they had cut several of the limbs off the bottom of the tree and painted it white. When I asked another neighbor why he thought they had done it. he said so they could find their house. :o

I guess I'll never know the right reason.

I remember seeing whitewashed trees all over Freeway Manor well before it was a Latino-dominated area. I never thought of it as a Latino thing.

The story I was told as a kid was that it wasn't paint, but a pesticide to keep the trees from getting diseased.

Originally the "white" was actually lime which supposedly prevented animals from attacking the trees. I did find a short article that might provide some insight.

Use and Misuse of Tree Trunk Protective Wraps, Paints, and Guards

Saying it is a Latino thing is RIDICULOUS.

Since I couldn't get the quote option to work, I've cut and pasted from the nice info that Kinkaidalum reported and added a couple I think he/she missed:

Nice places to walk in Houston and people watch...

1) Lower Westheimer Road starting near Dunlavy. Hit the antique shops. Grab a bite to eat at Brasil or Empire Cafe. Hit the vintage clothing shops and indie music stores. Stop into Sliders for pool and a frozen beverage. Go two blocks North of Westheimer when you hit Hugo's Restaurant to check out Cherryhurt Park and the great bungalows.

2) Rice Village. Walk the whole village and then hit the jogging path around the Rice campus (Rice Blvd, Main St, University Blvd, and Greenbriar). Great people watching, especially after work on a nice day

3) The Heights' old downtown area. It's been awhile since I've been there, but I think it's 19th St? Is Kaldi Cafe still open?

4) Memorial Park. Hit the jogging trail on a beautiful day. You'll see every type of person out, pass by the golf driving range, see families on picnics with pinatas, bikers, tennis center, etc...

5) Hermann Park on a weekend. People riding the train. Catch something at the Miller Outdoor Theater. Rent a paddle boat. Check out the Japanese Gardens. Walk the trail. All with great city views.

6) University of Houston campus. One of the best people watching scenes in the city. Very diverse. Once you deal with the cluster of surface parking, the inner campus is really quite attractive. Check out the UC Center and the Satellite Underground "hill".

7) Main St and Market Square areas on a weekend night, especially on special event weekends.

8) If you are gay or gay friendly, hit the Pacific St area just north of Westheimer and East of Montrose. A dense bar area and few with cover charges so lots of milling about. Nice front patio attached to Baba Yega's Restaurant to watch folks in the gayborhood.

9) Up and coming, the area around Post Midtown Square just South of downtown off of West Gray. Houston's best attempt at creating an urban friendly development. They are currently expanding the 4 block complex and a few more sites are going up near there (the Edge and CitiPlace)

---Two that I'm adding--

10) River Oaks shopping center - Shepherd and West Gray - Better check this out soon since it may not be around for long if they tear down the old River Oaks Theatre

11) Downtown Houston tunnel system

• 2 weeks later...
cool..thanks for the info guys....does anyone know where a good place to hang out and have some beers? Even if it's not "montrose-esque" :D off course..it would be better

Do you mean gay when you say "montrose-esque" ?

There are 3 good latin gay clubs/bars. 1415, Rich's*, and another I can't remember the name. (Although us Honkys have begun to invade Rich's, and 1415. But alot of the clubs have alot of racial diversity.

That is of corse, gay, the first thing that comes to mind when someone not only says "Montrose" but ads "esque" at the end.

Yes. :lol:

LMAO! >:)

• 2 years later...
Why do Hispanics paint their tree trunks white? What's with that?

I just saw a picture of Camp Logan (in Memorial Park) from the early 1900's, there were nice large canvas tents, gravel walkways, with small cactus plants, and white-painted trees. So I guess it's not a Mexican thing. More a Southern thing...looks like. The pic was in that book that has comparison photos, Houston Then & Now. Always heard painting the tree with that white stuff was to keep bugs away. The Hispanic lady next door to us, growing up, always had white tree trunks. I personally don't like altering trees like that.

Wonder how the first posters' visit went. I naturally think of Harrisburg Rd. and Magnolia Park, a lot of Hispanic history there. Harrisburg Rd. down to Broadway Blvd. at Gulf Frwy is a good drive, where that Mexican restaurant is, it's actually on Park Place at Gulf Frwy. The bakery is nice too.

Archived