Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

• 3 weeks later...

Was plotting this on the map, don't know if anyone read the article that Urb posted in Feb, but I really thought the numbers of just how successful this park has been were interesting, and thought I'd bring that info here:

An average of 1.5 million people visit Discovery Green each year, 200 percent more than the park’s planners imagined, Mandel said. Aside from heavy utilization, the $125 million park has also been an economic engine, helping to spark a $1.2 billion building boom around it.

Those numbers suggest a 10-to-1 return on the original investment in the park, widely regarded as one of the most successful urban renewal projects in the nation. While the park was built as a public-private partnership, none of the improvement funds are coming from city coffers, Mandel said. Nor does the park charge admission for any of its 700 events each year or receive parking revenue from nearby meters, such as those that have been installed recently at Memorial Park and the Houston Arboretum.

Mandel said the four major philanthropic foundations that launched Discovery Green 11 years ago have “all reinvested in the next ten years,” and the conservancy has about $2 million more to raise to meet its upgrade goals.

Those are sum amazing numbers. Love how this has not only been a success, but its also done without city money, and all the original investors are reinvesting for another 10 years.

• Like 8

Discovery Green is the best thing done for downtown Houston, every single weekend it's crawling with people. I think it will help draw more conventions, Super Bowls, NBA All Stars and Final Fours in the near future. Hopefully we can get an NFL Draft party soon.

• Like 9

While DG is locked in on all sides.. I'm hoping this news encourages  the city to invest  more into green space. There still Huge sections on the back end of Downtown that  could make a massive  park and potentially  spark more development.

Edited by Brandon55
  • Like 3

I spoke with someone involved in the downtown district a year ago and asked about parkland for the southern section of downtown inside the Pierce elevated, and he said that the most they might get is up to a 1/2 to 3/4  block of park in that quadrant. I think that has been identified as the plot that is now being designed and has a thread on this site. I believe it encompasses approximately 3/4 of a block. I cant recall which block it is but I know there is a current thread in the downtown section.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While the Green's new playground equipment is certainly fine-and-good, I kinda wish more modern and/or imposing equipment had been installed.

Something like the new 'Hedra Tower' system from LSI, Inc. would've been cool: https://www.playlsi.com/en/commercial-playground-equipment/playgrounds/signal-butte-park/

...or an overall plan similar to LSI's/Mesa, AZ's Pioneer Park:  https://www.playlsi.com/en/commercial-playground-equipment/playgrounds/pioneer-park/#playgroundstory

• Like 2

1 hour ago, txtiger said:

While the Green's new playground equipment is certainly fine-and-good, I kinda wish more modern and/or imposing equipment had been installed.

Something like the new 'Hedra Tower' system from LSI, Inc. would've been cool: https://www.playlsi.com/en/commercial-playground-equipment/playgrounds/signal-butte-park/

...or an overall plan similar to LSI's/Mesa, AZ's Pioneer Park:  https://www.playlsi.com/en/commercial-playground-equipment/playgrounds/pioneer-park/#playgroundstory

I was thinking the same thing!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT FROM DISCOVERY GREEN
AND GREEN MOUNTAIN ENERGY SUN CLUB! 

Monday, August 17 at 7:30 pm

Tune in at the Discovery Green Facebook page for a look at the new Green Mountain Energy Sun Club Grand Allée. The online event features a special performance by Sarah Grace, a Kinder HSPVA student and semi-finalist on The Voice.

Welcoming visitors entering at the northwest corner of the park, the new allée features approximately 70 pick-up stick LED light fixtures of varying lengths suspended from the tree canopy. The lights are designed to evoke memories of the childhood favorite game of pick-up sticks.

Tune in to get for a first look!

RaK8a0N.jpg

HfoDlzI.jpg

txtSQuF.jpg

BxKZf4t.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...