Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

On 7/22/2017 at 8:34 PM, hindesky said:

Yes, I saw a turtle leaving the area after it was drained and there was a giant Koi fish that was mysteriously placed in the pond but transferred when they drained it.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/article/Big-Poppa-A-big-fish-story-11289120.php?cmpid=gsa-chron-result#photo-13244218

"We started calling him Big Poppa because he was bigger than the bass and all the other goldfish," says Flowers.

Two questions:

Did Notorious B.I.G. picked the name for the koi?

Is he returning when they fix the leak?

• Like 1

My children and I stayed at the Marriot Marquis last night. One obvious observation. This area has become an outdoor promenade of sorts. It may not be the Paseo del Prado or the Riverwalk, but I do not recollect another place outdoors in Houston where people stroll casually like they do here. It's pleasant

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 9:20 AM, Houston19514 said:

A lot.  I was in the pool last one day recently and meet a half dozen or so groups of people.  Every group we met were from Houston suburbs.

Mark me down for someone else trying to (finally) plan a staycation at the Marquis. Just a matter of coordinating a weekend between mine and my girlfriends schedules, and avoiding any busy holiday weekends (i.e. Labor Day) when a bunch of families might be there with little kids running and screaming all over the pool deck. Hopefully we get to experience the Marquis soon enough..

On 7/30/2017 at 7:33 PM, hindesky said:

They cut through the old concrete but with rain in forecast for the next week I wouldn't park in the underground garage.

XpreGLJ.jpg

I guess they're finally doing a more permanent fix to the concrete uplifting problem that I posted pictures of back before the Super Bowl? I wonder how long the repairs will take..

11 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Mark me down for someone else trying to (finally) plan a staycation at the Marquis. Just a matter of coordinating a weekend between mine and my girlfriends schedules, and avoiding any busy holiday weekends (i.e. Labor Day) when a bunch of families might be there with little kids running and screaming all over the pool deck. Hopefully we get to experience the Marquis soon enough..

I guess they're finally doing a more permanent fix to the concrete uplifting problem that I posted pictures of back before the Super Bowl? I wonder how long the repairs will take..

I've done two staycations at the Marquis and both times there were tons of kids on the pool deck so I haven't gone back.

10 minutes ago, downtownian said:

I've done two staycations at the Marquis and both times there were tons of kids on the pool deck so I haven't gone back.

Thats what I'm afraid of.. with all of the local press coverage of the pool, and the lack of a ton of other staycation options in Houston, it seems like kids running wild around the pool deck will unfortunately be the norm. That's a big reason why we didn't go this summer and have been holding off until sometime after school starts back up. Hopefully it won't be quite as bad then.

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

It is baffling and astonishing that a lazy river in the shape of Texas would attract children. Certainly this was intended for a more sophisticated crowd?

Haha, I know right? Though it is a convention hotel..

The issue isn't so much that kids are there. That's to be expected.. the problem is all the terrible parents these days who don't punish their kids or teach them how to behave properly, so you end up with a bunch of kids yelling and screaming as they're running across the podium causing a ruckus, because the parents don't want to be bothered or deal with them while they're sipping their mixed drinks over in a cabana..

I've read multiple reviews talking about the problem with kids being loud and obnoxious on the pool deck.

• Like 4

The MM's pool is a more local, small-scale substitute for places like Hyatt Lost-Pines and Hill country resorts, which obnoxious children from the Houston area (and elsewhere) have been assaulting for quite some time.  The price of popularity is having to deal with all of the people.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/6/2016 at 11:57 PM, lockmat said:

More changes are coming to DG. According to the video below, where this rendering comes from, they're looking to make the northwest corner more open to people entering the park from that direction.

Also, for those who haven't been in a while (like myself), they added a raised deck with small metal tables and chairs along the southern edge of the great lawn. Apparently that area was heavily used and the grass couldn't sustain the traffic. Guess that means they're getting rid of the rest of the great lawn (sarcasm)

13095902_700173121890_175080833100609397

Here’s what I mentioned

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...