Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Its amazing looking through this entire thread and the growth of this park from idea to reality and ultimately what has become the defining feature of downtown. Pretty cool stuff :) Also fun just reading what people though would work or not or if this would even be successful! Like looking back in time lol

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

More changes are coming to DG. According to the video below, where this rendering comes from, they're looking to make the northwest corner more open to people entering the park from that direction.

Also, for those who haven't been in a while (like myself), they added a raised deck with small metal tables and chairs along the southern edge of the great lawn. Apparently that area was heavily used and the grass couldn't sustain the traffic. Guess that means they're getting rid of the rest of the great lawn (sarcasm)

13095902_700173121890_175080833100609397

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Hmm.. Kind of surprised they aren't doing anything with the random "sculpture" hill at the northeast corner that's never utilized.

When ever I am over at the park, it seems to me that there are always kids running up and down it, rolling down it, etc.. There are almost always folks taking pictures on it (with skyline behind).  I always found that little hill to be well used by people.

• Like 3

I wrote to DG regarding the condition of the Great Lawn (dead grass).  Got this reply....

We are very honored to be among the top 10 parks in the United States.  We wouldn’t be on the list without the support of our visitors, like yourself.  Thank you!

Due to the popularity, and success of Discovery Green, it has become very challenging to keep the green in Discovery Green.  The condition of the lawns is always on my mind.  The number and frequency of large events and festivals, along with the time of year they take place, impact the lawns tremendously.  In some instances we automatically plan on replacing the sod, like in the case of the temporary art exhibit, Los Trompos.  We are constantly looking ahead at our calendar to minimize the impact on the lawns.  The Great Lawn will be a little bare in some areas this summer because we are planning on overseeding the lawn with winter rye in November.  We want the lawns in the best shape possible for the Super Bowl. 

You can’t imagine the discussions that take place in the office between the programming team and the operations team.  One wanting to host as many events as possible, and the other not wanting to destroy the lawns.  It’s a fine balance. 

Thank you for your concern. 

Kind regards,

Clark Curry

Operations Director

Discovery Green

1500 McKinney

• Like 5

"Balance"? There is no balance.  Every year for at least the last several large areas of the lawns turn to dirt due to the stress of over-programming in the park. For the record, two years ago I sent an email to park management suggesting that the condition of the lawns were a direct result of over-programming.  They sent me a similar response to the above.  In two years the "balance" they have struck continues to result in fields of dust.....  Great balance for a place called Discovery GREEN.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

"Balance"? There is no balance.  Every year for at least the last several large areas of the lawns turn to dirt due to the stress of over-programming in the park. For the record, two years ago I sent an email to park management suggesting that the condition of the lawns were a direct result of over-programming.  They sent me a similar response to the above.  In two years the "balance" they have struck continues to result in fields of dust.....  Great balance for a place called Discovery GREEN.

I would agree. The grass on the Miller Outdoor Theater hill seems to be "stronger". Seems as if there could be a different type of grass used that could better withstand the wear. The green areas around Chicago's Millennium Park and Central Park in NYC seem to do much better. We can do better as well.

2 minutes ago, quietstorm said:

I would agree. The grass on the Miller Outdoor Theater hill seems to be "stronger". Seems as if there could be a different type of grass used that could better withstand the wear. The green areas around Chicago's Millennium Park and Central Park in NYC seem to do much better. We can do better as well.

Good observation. I'm not sure Miller has the same amount of traffic as DG but I still agree with you. Is Miller's grass st. augustine? I'm not a grass expert but the grass in DG is better for looking at and not so much traffic. It's too fine and soft. Its not as pretty but I think they'll eventually have to go to St. augustine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lockmat said:

Good observation. I'm not sure Miller has the same amount of traffic as DG but I still agree with you. Is Miller's grass st. augustine? I'm not a grass expert but the grass in DG is better for looking at and not so much traffic. It's too fine and soft. Its not as pretty but I think they'll eventually have to go to St. augustine. 

I agree - St. Augustine is the way to go.  

16 hours ago, lockmat said:

It's definitely not St. Augustine on the hill at Miller.

5 minutes ago, HOUCAJUN said:

Who would I need to talk to to get the " WE LOVE HOUSTON" sign moved to Discovery Green. People   would love to take a picture with it and it would become an iconic symbol   for Houston . Let's   get the ball rolling  on  this  

Not a bad idea.  It would be nice to have that sculpture in a more accessible spot.

Discovery Green Conservancy seems like a good place to start, or maybe one or more of the Conservancy's board members or officers

Wouldn't hurt to contact the Mayor too.

Edited by Houston19514

44 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Not a bad idea.  It would be nice to have that sculpture in a more accessible spot.

Discovery Green Conservancy seems like a good place to start, or maybe one or more of the Conservancy's board members or officers

Wouldn't hurt to contact the Mayor too.

Maybe somewhere in Buffalo Bayou would be better? DG is kind of packed already

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HOUCAJUN said:

Who would I need to talk to to get the " WE LOVE HOUSTON" sign moved to Discovery Green. People   would love to take a picture with it and it would become an iconic symbol   for Houston . Let's   get the ball rolling  on  this  

This is actually a good idea.  I'm not a selfie, Instagram, snapchat person but people really get into these things.  I'll admit even I took a picture of my reflection in 'The Bean.'

• Like 2

On May 16, 2016 at 4:47 PM, HOUCAJUN said:

Great idea. In addition to Discovery Green Conservancy, I'd recommend DowntownHouston.org

While you're at it, I've always felt David Adickes' Fab Four belonged somewhere downtown. Sure the Beatles have no connection to the city but it's a cool sculpture and should be displayed in a prime spot. And IIRC, it's still without a home, currently in storage at his Nance St office. 

920x920.jpg

On May 16, 2016 at 5:36 PM, lockmat said:

Maybe somewhere in Buffalo Bayou would be better? DG is kind of packed already

Sculpture Hill. Bulldoze the hill for this? 

"We Love Houston" sign here could serve as a gateway for visitors being across the street from both Marriott Marquis & GRBCC. 

Edited by tigereye

• 2 weeks later...

Large sections of Discovery Green near the kids fountains were fenced off and inaccessible the other day while crews installed new turf grass to replace the dust.  Nice job with that "balance" Discovery Green!  I mean, fencing off the kids section right at the start of summer is good "balance", right?

So let me get this straight...you want them to perform routine maintenance while kids are playing without roping off the areas that are being replaced? I mean...you said it in your post...they're replacing turf; you think that's going to take all summer? What other option do they have? Leaving it as a brown pile of dust, or taking a few days to replace some turf? 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

So let me get this straight...you want them to perform routine maintenance while kids are playing without roping off the areas that are being replaced? I mean...you said it in your post...they're replacing turf; you think that's going to take all summer? What other option do they have? Leaving it as a brown pile of dust, or taking a few days to replace some turf? 

I want them to "balance" the activities in the park so that they don't kill all the grass in the first place through over scheduling of events.  That IS the option.  Don't kill the grass in the first place via over use of planned activities.

quite simple, actually.

6 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Except that a lot of people like the current amount of planned activities. How do you propose finding a balance between those people and your perspective?

A new downtown park to share in the work load. When the sink 69/45 into the ground, they need to add a park without question.

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Except that a lot of people like the current amount of planned activities. How do you propose finding a balance between those people and your perspective?

I am quite certain that many people like the current amount of planned activities.  I am also certain that many, including myself, don't.  

The park needs to reassess its mission.  It was, from the start, envisioned to be an "active" space.  If it intends to continue to be as active (or even more active) as an event space, then it needs to repurpose itself and define itself as an event space first and a park second.  In doing so, it could have much less "green space" and much more "hardscape" space that would tolerate the events.   It could define itself more around catering to those who want to pay to use it for big events or corporate and less around a free public space for families.  That would be fine.

Alternatively, it could pull back from hosting as many events and could keep the park more focused on families and greenspace.  That would be fine too and it would inform different decisions on landscaping, people flow, usage, etc.

where the park sits right now is that each spring and summer for at least the last several, large portions of it is dust due to over use (by events).  The events have come and gone but the dust remains.  That is unsustainable. Hopefully park management is actively and deeply considering which way it wishes to go because, right now, the "balance" that they seek isn't working.

• Like 3

On 6/4/2016 at 10:51 AM, UtterlyUrban said:

I want them to "balance" the activities in the park so that they don't kill all the grass in the first place through over scheduling of events.  That IS the option.  Don't kill the grass in the first place via over use of planned activities.

quite simple, actually.

That is ONE option. Another option is they could format less and charge everyone for entry. It's not a regular public park, they have to pay for the park somehow.

It does seem silly though, why wouldn't they have replaced the grass prior to HISD being let out for summer? Maybe that was the plan, but rain?