Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

thegeneral.jpg

The General (1926) Train engineer Johnny Gray (Buster Keaton) is turned down when he tries to enlist in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War as his occupation is deemed too important. When his train (The General) is stolen by Union soldiers so that it can be used to attack Confederate forces, only Johnny and his girl Annabelle Lee can save the train and warn the Confederates about an impending attack. Directed by Clyde Bruckman and Buster Keaton.

http://app1.kuhf.org...s_id=1250801165

Performing an original new soundtrack for the movie will be the Golden Arm Trio, a group out of Austin. Golden Arm Trio has done some excellent things, like for example they did the soundtrack for A Scanner Darkly, the 2006 Richard Linklater film. This has been a great series. I saw Phantom of the Opera with a new original soundtrack being performed at Discovery Green and it really blew me away with how awesome it was. Amazing how exciting you can make an old silent film with a new soundtrack.

I guess what I'm trying to say is DON'T MISS THIS!

Tonight at 8.

Edited by kylejack

• 1 month later...

Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 8:55am CDT

Discovery Green earns LEED Gold certification

Houston Business Journal

Discovery Green has received LEED Gold certification — making the project the first completed LEED Gold new construction project in downtown Houston.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/10/12/daily9.html?surround=lfn

really neat, I didn't know they employed that much green tech, it is mostly hidden from view. Which is good and bad, I'm glad that it isn't in our faces, saying, look how green we are, we have solar everywhere! But then, because it isn't in your face, most people that utilize that area have no idea about how earth friendly it is.

It is a most peaceful spot in the late afternoon with the sun going down behind the buildings and the frogs going crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

^^^ Insane I know. At least we compromised those parking lots for a park.

Well, of the parking lots pictured, the only one that is gone (well, underground now) is the one in the bottom right corner. The other 5 lots are still there.

it would have been awesome if disco replaced them all.

• 2 weeks later...

Memorial is nice. Did you know that Memorial Park is twice the size of Central Park? Not quite a peered comparison since Memorial is merely inside the loop rather than inside downtown but still, it surprised me.

Central Park isn't in Downtown Manhattan either. It's just north of Midtown Manhattan. It's an appropriate comparison, I suppose, though Hermann Park is still probably a better comparison.

Memorial is nice. Did you know that Memorial Park is twice the size of Central Park? Not quite a peered comparison since Memorial is merely inside the loop rather than inside downtown but still, it surprised me.

I've never quite figured out Memorial Park. There's the running loop, which has cars screaming by. And the arboretum, which is lovely. And some picnic areas. What is happening in the rest of the space?

I've never quite figured out Memorial Park. There's the running loop, which has cars screaming by. And the arboretum, which is lovely. And some picnic areas. What is happening in the rest of the space?

Picnic Circle is an excellent place to road cycle. The cars are banned from it after sundown with a closed gate and traffic is really light otherwise. Its a little over a mile long, but some fun curves, etc. Then you've got the golf course/driving range with Beck's Prime, some great mountain bike trails, tennis, swimming.

Picnic Circle is an excellent place to road cycle. The cars are banned from it after sundown with a closed gate and traffic is really light otherwise. Its a little over a mile long, but some fun curves, etc. Then you've got the golf course/driving range with Beck's Prime, some great mountain bike trails, tennis, swimming.

Don't forget the polo club for when you're dying to visit with Muffy and Thurston.

The running loop is great, but you're right about the cars screaming by. When I use that path, I oftentimes only do the horseshoe and avoid the part along Memorial due to the traffic noise and fumes.

The mountain bike paths south of Memorial aren't bad. They make a surprisingly good use of the space and terrain, but you just have to get used to all the tree roots crossing the paths. The golf course is a tremendous waste of valuable space IMO, but I don't golf. There's also the horse stables in the northwest corner (I think that's still part of Memorial Park). There's also the volleyball court, a baseball court, a short running track, and other miscellaneous fields used for soccer, beyond what kyle mentioned.

I think part of makes Memorial so great is that is's primarily a fitness-oriented park rather than just a fat camp for families to sit around on picnic tables grilling and eating. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's great that one of the supposed fattest cities in America has such a great public space for outdoor activities. People from out of town are always surprised when I take them there.

I'm not crazy about the golf course. I'm not a big golfer though I've been out with my dad a few times. I can appreciate its legitimacy, though. With so many high-priced private courses, its nice to have a quality cheap course. Its very affordable to play on and one of the best municipal golf courses in the country.