Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Did anyone know that you can watch live video of DG on Kprc (Click2Houston) website....? :huh:

http://www.click2houston.com/video/17779213/index.html

Its 10:30p.m and at the Ice Ring its still packed. ^_^

Theres also people walking around and sitting on the benches.

I caught a glimpse of that. Nice. :)

Anyone know when they are shutting down that ice rink?

Did anyone know that you can watch live video of DG on Kprc (Click2Houston) website....? :huh:

http://www.click2houston.com/video/17779213/index.html

Its 10:30p.m and at the Ice Ring its still packed. ^_^

Theres also people walking around and sitting on the benches.

Looking at that parkcam, I can't help but think of the furor I started on a long since locked Victory thread when I linked to WFAA's plazacam...and the plaza was empty. :blush:

Ice rink is packed at 3:20 pm, as well.

i believe it's open til MLK day.

I was around the 12/26, and the security guard mentioned 1/12.

Maybe they bumped it up a week, but MLK day makes sense, but it is usually cold throughout February too. They should have kept it at least until Valentines Day weekend.

BTW, it looks much smaller in person than the photos reveal. Kinda disappointing.

Discovery Green won Texas Construction Magazine's Best of 2008 - Outdoors/Recreation:

Discovery Green, a 12-acre park located directly across from the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, required a diverse construction approach. The varied project included a one-acre lake, underground parking garage, children

I was around the 12/26, and the security guard mentioned 1/12.

Maybe they bumped it up a week, but MLK day makes sense, but it is usually cold throughout February too. They should have kept it at least until Valentines Day weekend.

BTW, it looks much smaller in person than the photos reveal. Kinda disappointing.

From the day it was announced, they have said it will be open through January 19. It's been on the website and in their emails.

It's still fun to do. Most people in Houston aren't figure skaters or hockey players that need a huge rink to go flying around. My wife and I tried it out last week and had a lot of fun just fumbling around on it.

it looks like over night someone bumped or repositioned the cam so now it barely catches the west edge of the park and nothing of the ice....it would possibly be interesting if any of the cranes were running....but as of now it is just staring at buildings and a bit of traffic

Yeah.

Someone most likely repositioned the cam and as of now its staring at Disco Tower.

I finally got a chance to walk through the park late one night last week and was VERY impressed. There was a great police presence and NO bums. I spoke with one of the HPD officers there and he said they are assigned there on a rotating shift, so that there are always officers there.

Yes, I have noticed that too whenever I go down there, no hobos. Its nice. I hope it stays like that. How are they keeping them out? Do the cops tell their panhandling asses to leave whenever they see one?

I believe technically the park is 100% private property since it is in trust for 20 years and because of that cops can tell people of any type they need to leave private property and this is the same reason it can be rented and parts or all of it closed for private events

I believe technically the park is 100% private property since it is in trust for 20 years and because of that cops can tell people of any type they need to leave private property and this is the same reason it can be rented and parts or all of it closed for private events

You can rent and close any park, though. Any downtown one, at least.

• 6 months later...

Texas Highways has an article on DG.

http://texashighways.com/index.php/component/content/article/48-gulf-coast/5964-downtown-playground-houstons-discovery-green

With the development of Discover Green on downtown’s east side, the Bayou City has joined the ranks of New York and San Francisco – each renowned for their appealing urban green spaces.

Texas Highways has an article on DG.

http://texashighways.com/index.php/component/content/article/48-gulf-coast/5964-downtown-playground-houstons-discovery-green

With the development of Discover Green on downtown’s east side, the Bayou City has joined the ranks of New York and San Francisco – each renowned for their appealing urban green spaces.

great way to revive the thread, i wanted to keep reading but there was so little...