Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Parks of this size I have seen in Prague surround the entire city block, with only limited entrances. This helps protect the grass from yahoos, and closes the site off so you really feel like you are somewhere peaceful.

I hope this is not just a wide open parking lot with grass.

I think it would be awesome if this park had an open air pavilion like they have at Millennium Park in Chicago. The Houston Symphony and all of those major concerts that play in the Woodlands would be able to play in the heart of the city. I think it would make those concert going experiences amazing with the backdrop of the downtown skyline. It would bring more people downtown for events like that and I'm sure those big events would help nearby businesses with overflow customers.

I have seen fenced in parks in Europe as well, and it doesn't seem a bad idea. It seems that expectations are being set pretty high for this park in terms of spurring development etc., but given the relatively small number of downtown residents, I wonder how many people it will really attract. I can't quite see conventioneers hanging out there. Is the plot large enough to host all the various festivals that are currently scattered around City Hall, Sam Houston park, and Jones Plaza? A permanent fairgrounds would be a nice idea and cheap to implement. The city isn't going to spend the amount of money required to develop something like Millenium Park in Chicago, unfortunately.

What if the park was surrounded by a dense wall of residential developments on all four sides across the street with street level retail. Kind of like Central Park in NYC, but of course it will not be on that scale. The fact that the park is surrounded by parking lots gives that semi proposal full potential. But the dumb poliiticians probably will not even have the slightest idea in the back of their minds.

a1gj.jpg

I don't think this park is meant to be a gathering place. Symphony plays outside at Herman Park for intown concerts too. I like how the I-fest uses the down area right now.

As for fenced in parks, New Orleans' Jackson Square in front of the St Louis Basilica is fenced in. It nice, but not many people use it. A few tourists, but the streets around the park is where the people are. Of course three of the 4 streets around it are pedestrian only.

I don't think this park is meant to be a gathering place. Symphony plays outside at Herman Park for intown concerts too. I like how the I-fest uses the down area right now.

As for fenced in parks, New Orleans' Jackson Square in front of the St Louis Basilica is fenced in. It nice, but not many people use it. A few tourists, but the streets around the park is where the people are. Of course three of the 4 streets around it are pedestrian only.

I think the primary purpose of the park is to preserve some green space on the eastside of downtown.

I don't think this park is meant to be a gathering place.  Symphony plays outside at Herman Park for intown concerts too.  I like how the I-fest uses the down area right now.

As for fenced in parks, New Orleans' Jackson Square in front of the St Louis Basilica is fenced in.  It nice, but not many people use it.  A few tourists, but the streets around the park is where the people are.  Of course three of the 4 streets around it are pedestrian only.

I think the primary purpose of the park is to preserve some green space on the eastside of downtown.

Do U think the city would ever consider moving I-Fest to this Area? Not saying it should be that way, but I'm wondering what y'all think.

Aren't parks supposed to be gathering places? :blink:

I was thinking of it for a fairground because some of the larger festivals have to shut off streets, but you're right it may not be large enough unless they could incorporate some of the adjacent surface lots. It probably would work for most of the smaller festivals, though. If not a permanent spot for festivals, could a skate park go here?

050510_Ar_Peristyle_ex.jpg

Classical peristyle in Millennium Park.

050510_Ar_JaumePlansa_ex.jpg

Frank Gehry's band shell.

050510_Ar_FrankGehry_ex.jpg

Jaume Plensa's fountain.

architecture

Chicago's Magic Kingdom

Is Millennium Park a theme park for adults?

By Witold Rybczynski

Posted Wednesday, May 11, 2005, at 4:36 AM PT

Chicagoans obviously don't agree. The city has just spent almost half a billion dollars on Millennium Park, which opened last July. In its first six months, the downtown park has attracted more than 1.5 million visitors. This is an impressive number considering the park is only 24.5 acres

Edited by Subdude

I meant gathering place as for large events. I feel that this park is more of a perservation and expansion of Downtown greenspace. Once the park is officially built, it stands to make that area of east Downtown more attractive to developers.

Yes, it's mostly tress and roses in this area now. Building a park where a park already is.

Like I said before, this project is a big waste of money for developers. Remember, they "donated" land?

Anyway, if you want to build a park, how about doing it in the warehouse district?

It could be HUGE over there.

This may be a dumb question but...

Hasn't this land been a park "Houston Center Gardens" since the 80's?

What's the difference now? I guess this will be a special park?

Part of it was, but the flanks were surface lots. Also, it looks like they will be able to close that section of Crawford to connect the park sections.

The park has to work on its own merits. I just don't think we can look at it as a spur to development in any meaningful way. A park isn't enough to generate an urban neighborhood.

First off the city specifically said- they don't want another Millenium Park- price overuns, random designs, bad planning, etc. I have been to Millenium park and it is nice but they are hoping for something better more united.

What Houston is looking for, which also confused me at first, is not a "park" but an "urban space" with vendors, cafe's, attractions, etc. plus greenery, ponds, fountains- They want Houstonians to decide what activities will ultimately be included in the "park". It's more like a NY/ European style park, or a a piazza- Houston style, of course, then Memorial or Hermann Park.

Guest danax
Anyway, if you want to build a park, how about doing it in the warehouse district?

It could be HUGE over there.

They need one for that near east side. It was mentioned in passing at an eastend housing meeting with some councilpeople attending last year that they needed to get some land for green spaces while it was still cheap and available.

Conversion from industrial to residential requires re-greening as there is usually a lack of parks and street trees.

This is what I don't understand.  All the development happening on the outskirts of downtown is stealing the overall growth of central downtown Houston.  I believe this park is special because it can lead to other things in this part of town that depserately needs help.  The area has been surface lots for years, and it is about time for that to change.  Downtown is not even close to being a true neighborhood and I think midtown has something to do with that.  I cringe whenever people say "this should have been placed in midtown" and just forget about the central business district.  I don't know if some people have noticed, but midtown has lost some of its potential in my opinion with the suburban gated apartments and car oriented strip malls that are taking shape with a few pockets of true urbanity such as Post Midtown, The Edge, and Collective at Baldwin Park.  Downtown has none of that as far as suburban developments go and the potential to become a true urban neighborhood is there.  I mean those surface lots are screaming for development.

Oh yeah, I like the rendering for the park as it already is.

Web_render3.jpg

If that's a rendering for H-town's park, that looks nice, yo!

Now, I understand the concept of starting up development around the park, but exactly WHERE around the park is everyone refering to that you'd want redeveloped? The park's surrounded by office buildings, The GRBCC, Hilton Americas, Toyota Center, and Minute Maid Park. Where exactly is it that this thread is talking about in terms of the actual location that you're hoping to be developed around this park?

If that's a rendering for H-town's park, that looks nice, yo!

Now, I understand the concept of starting up development around the park, but exactly WHERE around the park is everyone refering to that you'd want redeveloped? The park's surrounded by office buildings, The GRBCC, Hilton Americas, Toyota Center, and Minute Maid Park. Where exactly is it that this thread is talking about in terms of the actual location that you're hoping to be developed around this park?

Did you see post #14?

Shasta, your post proves the city does not know what it wants.

Sheesh

MidtownCoog, just curious have you been to any of the meetings or have you visited the website? Or is this whole thread based on speculation and hersey?

The city wants the people of Houston to come up with about 20 activities from which the designers will formulate a program and then a design.

If you have any ideas, now would be the time to have your voice heard.

The website is www.houstondowntownpark.org

Thanks for the URL Shasta. I need to chew over the meaning of "an urban space". That's one of those terms that glaze the eyes over, no? It's good that they are trying to shift the point of comparison away from Millenium Park, which could lead to disappointment. Still, it's hard to think what would work well in this location. I'm not really sold on the concept of public squares or piazzas working well in American culture. If not a skate park, maybe the space could be used for a large pond or a really giant fountain.

An urban park! What is an urban park?

The Houston Downtown Park Conservancy. Good grief! How many downtown "groups" do we need?

Call me bitter, but this seems like a silly approach for creating a park.

Activties:

Bum showers

Bum benches

Bum camp fires

Bum chess

Bum work out area

Bum mural

If you remember back to the Mayor's speech, they had this park all figured out.

So here we are, creating a park, where one already existed.

All I can say is Thank God Rich Kinder's wife is in charge. That's far away enough from Enron for me.

I wish I could count all the competing "downtown" districts/groups, etc. They seem to be all in competition to get nowhere fast.

Take a drive by some of Houston's neglected parks (West End Park) and tell me if there is money that could be better spent.

Exactly who is this park supposed to serve? Build it and they will come, right?

Midtown,

I am about as "Green" as you can get, but have to agree with you on this one. A whole lot of public money is being (and going to be) spent in this little area being hailed as the future "jewel" of DT parks. Have we already forgotten the hundreds of acres of land between Allen Parway and Memorial? I am all for parks and such, but it all seems a little smarmy to me, what and who is gaining here?

Guest danax

I don't mind them taking their time and consulting the citizens. At least it shows that they are really trying to do things right and come up with projects that might end up being special. If not, no big deal, just more time spent.

On the other hand, I think the trees that they have there and have planted look fine by themselves though. Maybe they're caught up a bit in big city one-upmanship and they're wracking their brains trying to come up with something "signature" but sometimes less is more.

The city is cluttered so park spaces serve a purpose by being places for repose, not just activity. Do we really need more stuff?

I suggest they leave it as is, just beautiful trees and then create a zen garden.

I'm pretty excited about this. I was driving by there the other day and imagined having a nice park with a lot of destinations inside it - it really could provide a good back porch for downtown. We have this incredible civic complex - our city's largest hotel, one of the nation's largest convention centers - but no place to walk around outside and do anything. I think of the park in Indianapolis between the capitol and the convention center, with two hotels on either side, and that is a great place to go walk around when you are staying there.

When we had the Super Bowl there were a lot of events at the George R. Brown - this gives an area where people can just hang out between doing stuff. I remember that ESPN was broadcasting SportsCenter from that greenspace with the skyline in the background. I think this place fills a niche between a smaller park in a downtown setting like Market Square and a really big park which is further away from downtown, like Eleanor Tinsley. I'm optimistic.