Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Oct. 19, 2004, 3:55PM

City begins acquiring land for new urban park

By MIKE SNYDER

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

The city has begun acquiring property for a 13-acre urban park that is likely to trigger substantial new development on the east side of downtown, Mayor Bill White said today.

White said the city signed a contract today with Crescent Real Estate Equities Inc. to purchase 5.29 acres just west of the George R. Brown Convention Center. The city will acquire the remaining, adjacent property by the end of the year, design the park next year and start construction in 2006, White said. ADVERTISEMENT

The park should be open by 2007, he said.

"You will see an explosion of growth around the periphery of this park," White told the annual meeting of Central Houston Inc., adding that the new development would strengthen the city's tax base and enhance the continuing revitalization of downtown.

White said private contributions would pay for at least 80 percent of the park's estimated $80 million cost. The city's contributions would come from hotel and entertainment tax revenues rather than property taxes, White said.

The new park, which would be the largest downtown and one of the largest in the central part of Houston, would attract convention visitors as well as local families, White said.

The park would complement the vision for downtown development over the next 20 years unveiled this week by Central Houston and other downtown organizations. The "framework for downtown development" calls for increasing downtown's residential population from 3,000 to 20,000, and downtown leaders said parks were an important amenity to attract families to live downtown.

White said all great cities have preserved land in their centers for major parks. He said this may have been Houston's last opportunity to acquire park property downtown before rising real estate values made it impossible.

"This will be a unique urban green space that will last for centuries in this community," White said.

SOurce: http://www.chron.com

• Like 1

Ooh, I saw this, and it will be awesome! They will build many new garages to replace the lots, which will help alot, and because of the proximity to the park, most of the nasty parking lots will have their values shoot up, and hopefully, some wonderful new developments will emerge!

Can someone say W00T?

Oh, and the best thing is, most of it is paid for! :D

Here's the write-up on this from the Houston Business Journal:

City acquires land for downtown park

Jenna Colley

Houston Business Journal

The City of Houston plans to groom a 13-acre park in front of the George R. Brown Convention Center to serve as downtown Houston's cultural core.

While speaking at Central Houston Inc.'s annual meeting Tuesday, Mayor Bill White announced that the city has acquired 5.29 acres from Crescent Real Estate Equities Ltd. to complete the municipalities' ownership of the "Superblock."

That zone includes space in front of the convention center and a block immediately to the west - all of which will be made into the urban park slated for opening in late 2007.

The new central park will require more than $35 million in private contributions, according to the mayor's office.

"Great cities preserve land for public plazas, parks and gathering places for the future," said White. "We now have an opportunity - probably our last opportunity as a city - to create a place like that for us in Houston's central core. A new major park will be an enduring legacy for our efforts to improve Houston's quality of life."

Eighty-percent or more of incremental funds required to complete the acquisition and development of the park will be raised from private sources. Design and development will be accomplished through a private/public partnership.

White currently is working with a number of interested individuals and organizations to secure the private funding required for site acquisition, design and construction.

The schedule calls for site acquisition to be complete by the end of 2004, pending Houston City Council approval of the project and agreement with those private funders. Design is scheduled to begin in 2005, and construction will commence in 2006.

A main driver behind the park is its impact on attracting high-quality, mixed-use urban development, with residential, retail and uses that complement the convention center and sports facilities.

"Real estate experts believe that the park will sharply accelerate responsible growth within the city, strengthening the tax base of the city and county and school district, and allowing the taxpayers to recoup this public investment," said White.

None of the city's contributions will be funded through property taxes.

now THAT would be a good idea, Westguy.

Maybe we should pitch that before they start the actual design of the thing.

"Hey Bill....we have an idea..."

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do, considering. As the trees get taller and older, they will suck up more water, which will be handy in the rainy monsoon seasons.

Ricco

Crescent Sells Land to the City of Houston; Crescent Continues its Strategy of Selling Non-Core Assets

FORT WORTH, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 19, 2004--Crescent Real Estate Equities Company (NYSE:CEI) today announced it has contracted to sell 5.3 acres of non-income producing land to the City of Houston. The land is adjacent to the 5.5 acres located in front of downtown's George R. Brown Convention Center that Crescent sold to the City at the end of 2002. This transaction allows the City to consolidate its land in order to develop an urban park of more than 13 acres.

Jane Page, Executive Vice President of Asset Management and Leasing, commented, "As the largest landlord in Houston, Crescent shares the City's vision of developing a major new centerpiece park for all to enjoy. We believe that this type of gathering spot not only elevates the quality of life for those who live, work and play downtown, it also provides Houston with another way to compete with major metropolitan areas."

The sale is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter, generating net proceeds to Crescent of approximately $23 million, which equates to a price of $100 per square foot.

About the Company

Crescent Real Estate Equities Company (NYSE:CEI) is one of the largest publicly held real estate investment trusts in the nation. Through its subsidiaries and joint ventures, Crescent owns and manages a portfolio of more than 70 premier office buildings totaling more than 29 million square feet primarily located in the Southwestern United States, with major concentrations in Dallas, Houston, Austin, Denver, Miami and Las Vegas. In addition, Crescent has investments in world-class resorts and spas and upscale residential developments. For more information, visit the company's website at http://www.crescent.com.

Merged topics

Edited by dbigtex56

I'm for this, but I really don't see how it's a big deal. The land outlined in the Chron map from the article is already heavily landscaped and green. Even the article says the purchase of it only "ensures it won't be sold for development". So, it's already mostly park -- where's the mass peripheral development?

Plus, it's only a 13-acre piece of land -- hardly a large urban park. The comparison to the 25-acre LAKEFRONT park in Chicago seems misleading to me. Ours is also pretty far from any existing or proposed residential. Very few use the existing park areas right there even on weekdays, during lunch!

Sorry, but this seems like good intentions that won't amount to much difference. I hope the area remains as one of the best places for street parking for Astros games, under the shade of crepe myrtles. It will take more than crafty boosterism language by the Chron (don't think the terms "central park" (no caps) and "superblock" were unintentional) to make this existing greenspace into a boon for residential and retail development.

I do applaud the idea, if not the execution. Bleh...this is the kind of story that deserves to be buried in the paper.

I truly don't understand why the city should have to go begging for donations to put together a decent park. Parks can have a huge impact on quality of life, but only if they are done well. Market Square = bad, bad, bad. Central Park = good, very good. This could be an asset and could generate some development, but it is hard to see that the impact will be that great, especially with the hotel and the convention center on two sides. We are basically trying to jump start some in-fill development between the convention center hotel and the Ballpark.

I'm for this, but I really don't see how it's a big deal. The land outlined in the Chron map from the article is already heavily landscaped and green. Even the article says the purchase of it only "ensures it won't be sold for development". So, it's already mostly park -- where's the mass peripheral development?

Perhaps developers (and the people who buy from them) want some assurance that this will remain a greenspace.Who in their right mind would develop and market housing based on its proximity to a amenity that could, at any moment, be converted to surface parking or some other gawd-awful form of development?

The patterns of usage of parks will change dramatically as people move into downtown. With a scant 3,000 people living there today, it's little wonder that existing parks are underutilized. When we have 20,000 people living downtown, these parks will be an integral part of the cityscape.

Had to laugh at the press release about the park. They go to great lengths to justify it because there are millions in private donations required, and that it will somehow spur residential and retail development downtown. It's almost like the city feels it has to justify opening a park on good economic grounds, as if it would be a shameful waste of money to open a park on its own account.

The map of the park in the Chronicle shows it covering a section of Crawford. Does anyone know if they intend to close off that section of the street?

If they're not planning to close off that part of Crawford they certainly should.

It stops 2 blocks south at Polk anyway for the Toyota Center. 7 acres isn't that large and we don't need a busy street running through the middle. I notice the block immediately to the east of the mall was not included even though it's already a green space. Are we going to lose that to development?

The new rail line will go east towards the Convention Center and skirt the northern edge of the park with a stop right there in the area. Hopefully it will be underground. This should further enhance development. Can't wait!

I think this park is great news! And I disagree with those that say it is poorly placed... It's an excellent location! Especially with the curved streets and the nice symmetry of it's layout in relationship to the convention center (which unfortuantely isn't that attractive but it could be fixed up), and the view down Crawford Street to TC and up Avenida de las Americas up to MMP. And plus the Hilton.

If they're not planning to close off that part of Crawford they certainly should.

It stops 2 blocks south at Polk anyway for the Toyota Center.  7 acres isn't that large and we don't need a busy street running through the middle. 

I totally agree with that... they should close Crawford there.

But I thought it was a dumb move for them to close Crawford in the first place to build TC. They should have shifted it over one block east since Crawford and Jackson had always been a nice pair of companion one-way streets on the easternmost side of downtown which merged nicely to the Elysian Viaduct to the north and into Almeda Road to the south. That was ruined by the placement of the TC.

I notice the block immediately to the east of the mall was not included even though it's already a green space.  Are we going to lose that to development? 

Yep, probably!

The new rail line will go east towards the Convention Center and skirt the northern edge of the park with a stop right there in the area. 

Wasn't it supposed to go along Texas Street? It was either that one or one other street, I can't remember...

Wasn't it supposed to go along Texas Street?  It was either that one or one other street, I can't remember...

The downtown connector rail line has been proposed as a subway under Crawford St. (my preference) or a surface line on Capitol. Last I heard Capitol was winning out because of the expense of a subway line, but someone else may know something more. I still prefer the subway option, because it provided the easiest connection to the Main St. line, as well as stations under City Hall and the George R. Brown, and it would be closer to those locations than a line on Capitol.

ssullivan, did you mean to say Texas or Rusk or possibly Walker, rather than Crawford?  Crawford is not one of the options for the downtown connector rail line, as it runs parallel, not perpendicular, to Main Street.

My mistake. I wasn't thinking late last night when I wrote that. I meant Walker. The proposed location of the line, if built underground, is down Walker.

The downtown connector rail line has been proposed as a subway under Crawford St. (my preference) or a surface line on Capitol. Last I heard Capitol was winning out because of the expense of a subway line, but someone else may know something more. I still prefer the subway option, because it provided the easiest connection to the Main St. line, as well as stations under City Hall and the George R. Brown, and it would be closer to those locations than a line on Capitol.

The actual alignment proposals, as of the last Metro public workshop, has two options of subway underneath either Mckinney or Walker streets. The third option is a surface rail, like the red line, on RUSK.

If the Mckinney one is chosen, then, they would have to tunnel deeper to get underneath of the 5 or so underground levels of the GRB. This alignment would continue straight underneath the GRB under Walker Street, then pop up on a portal somewhere around Dowling Street.

If the Walker one is chosen, then the plan is to remain subway right under where the proposed Central Park would be, and curve towards the north and bypass the GRB, and therefore, not have tunnel as deep compared to the Mckinney alignment. Again, the portal would emerge somewhere around Dowling Street.

Underground levels of the GRB? That's news to me, and they don't appear on the GRB's floorplans on their website... what do they have on these underground levels?

The actual alignment proposals, as of the last Metro public workshop, has two options of subway underneath either Mckinney or Walker streets.  The third option is a surface rail, like the red line, on RUSK.

If the Mckinney one is chosen, then, they would have to tunnel deeper to get underneath of the 5 or so underground levels of the GRB.  This alignment would continue straight underneath the GRB under Walker Street, then pop up on a portal somewhere around Dowling Street.

If the Walker one is chosen, then the plan is to remain subway right under where the proposed Central Park would be, and curve towards the north and bypass the GRB, and therefore, not have tunnel as deep compared to the Mckinney alignment.  Again, the portal would emerge somewhere around Dowling Street.

Well, I'm sure they're not going to advertise that bit of info, guy.

I wouldn't doubt if the area down below houses offices and storae areas for their walls and such.

I was at the metro meeting with 2112 and I vouch with what he said. :)

Ricco

Well I'm glad to hear the subway proposals are still alive, because there was a Chronicle article not too long ago that said otherwise (I'll see if I can find it in the archives and post it). I think that's a much better plan than the surface line, as it will provide better connections to places like the GRB, City Hall, and Main St. Square. And, it could connect the existing downtown tunnels to the transit system.

I really hope that they go with either subway plan, because once it has been built once they will probably be more willing to expand it if it is successful. One question though. I assume that this subway will be an underground version of the light rail. My question is what speed will it run at, and will it be able to carry larger faster(?) subway trains in the future?

Why not build the new downtown extension at grade? Considering the huge impact that the existing rail line has had on DT and MT a few extra blocks of surface rail connecting Main St to East downtown won't make that much more difference.

It sure would be a LOT cheaper to build at grade than a subway... not to mention much less prone to flooding...

There are several reasons not to build at grade, and several advantages to going underground:

First off, eventually the line towards the east side would service two lines (harrisburg and Scott) and the additional traffic on the line would totally be murder on the north-south traffic, especially when it crosses the main street line.

Construction along the surface streets would also be even harder. One of the routes which makes the most sense has a considerable issue because there are alot of entrances to the loading docks and that would be a major no-no.

Currently the Redline, during peak hours, has trains running every 6 minutes. The line from downtown's servicing sections will run every *3* minutes.

An underground station would allow for "cross platform" stations. single stations that would serve multiple lines, and this would also help when it eventually expands to the west.

The flooding is going to be the biggest challenge, this would have to be totally engineered to deal with an event that happens once every couple of years (to be honest).

That's about as far as my taxed brain can handle at the moment... I'm sure someone else would help with my thought on this.

Ricco