Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flatline

Sawyer Heights Target

698 posts in this topic

Can we trade the panda funk-nasty for Po-boy Express? Now that's a damn good chain.

Heights proper is not corporate/big box friendly, so this is where they go. I am glad, I don't want them in the Heights, but I do want them. I think it is a great use of the space. I would be a regular if there was a LaMadeliene or Cafe Express. I frequent, the Target, PetSmart and Washington Heights Veterinary Clinic, and often run by the TacoBell/KFC there (which I never ever do other times or other places). I have been to the Chili's and the Freebird.

I am so glad Bryan has opened his Southwell's there. His food is fabulous. He grew up as a Houston Country Club manager's son, so he learned the need for quality ingredients early. I stopped in on Friday last to do an adoption contract for a dog, and they were very kind to let us non-purchasing people use a table. When I bought a coke to "pay" for the table use, he was very nice and said I didn't have to do that. They will do well there. And they have alot more than burgers, although the burgers are fab.

And as an aside, the PetSmart would do well to replace its general manager. With as many dog lovers as there are in the area, he is the one and only reason that store is not packed. The only reason they get my business is its proximity to the veterinary clinic next door.

And as an aside, the PetSmart would do well to replace its general manager. With as many dog lovers as there are in the area, he is the one and only reason that store is not packed. The only reason they get my business is its proximity to the veterinary clinic next door.

I've heard similar things about the GM. Mean, nasty person. No personal interactions with them (yet), but because of the way they treated my friend, I'll be holding back as much business as possible.

I apologize for bumping a 5 year old thread. I cycle by this target quite often, and was looking for more information regarding the abandoned oil derrick adjacent to the Target (pictures below). Does anyone have a link with some information regarding this structure? I cant seem to find anything. My searches led me here, where some people mentioned it being painted in 2007 and 2006.  Who preserved it? Who maintains it? When was it built, etc?

Don't know if I should crosspost with the historic houston forum. 

z3bJjue.png

acgSddY.jpg

2 people like this

I apologize for bumping a 5 year old thread. I cycle by this target quite often, and was looking for more information regarding the abandoned oil derrick adjacent to the Target (pictures below). Does anyone have a link with some information regarding this structure? I cant seem to find anything. My searches led me here, where some people mentioned it being painted in 2007 and 2006.  Who preserved it? Who maintains it? When was it built, etc?

Don't know if I should crosspost with the historic houston forum. 

It's got a Bowen sign on it. That's a company that is owned by National Oilwell Varco. Maybe they have or had a facility in the area?

There's a photo of it on their web page...

Link

Edited by jgriff
1 person likes this

Great find. On that link, heres a picture of the site back in the day (undated). I'll see if I can keep looking for more information but that helps a lot. Thanks!

slider1.jpg

1 person likes this

Since the topic's been bumped, I though I'd remind everybody that there's been a La Madeleine in the center for some months now.  It is a chain, too.  I've been to Freebird a couple of times.   But, as convenient as Target is to my home, there are non-chain eating options even closer....

1 person likes this

Great find. On that link, heres a picture of the site back in the day (undated). I'll see if I can keep looking for more information but that helps a lot. Thanks!

slider1.jpg

You can see the derrick in that photo. I can't match up anything else though, even looking through historic photos I can't make a match.

1 person likes this

I did some matching.

5NCNRvB.png

So this is actually on the South side of the Target. The derricks location has been moved (presuming its the same derrick). Ive matched up the letters, with the historical photo, and added other Reference buildings to help with orientation. I noted the 'original derrick location with the circle)

Edited by Purdueenginerd
2 people like this

It's possible that the derrick was at one point a working well at Bowens (or just a sign saying hi we do oil wells) and was taken down and dumped on the lot where Target was built, and the developers thought it would look cool to put up in its present location.

Or there were two oil wells in the heights right there.

1 person likes this

I did some matching.

5NCNRvB.png

So this is actually on the South side of the Target. The derricks location has been moved (presuming its the same derrick). Ive matched up the letters, with the historical photo, and added other Reference buildings to help with orientation. I noted the 'original derrick location with the circle)

Wow, good work. I was concentrating so much on the derrick that I never thought about it being moved. 

1 person likes this

It's possible that the derrick was at one point a working well at Bowens (or just a sign saying hi we do oil wells) and was taken down and dumped on the lot where Target was built, and the developers thought it would look cool to put up in its present location.

Or there were two oil wells in the heights right there.

No oil wells there, according to the RRC. The closest well location was near Waverly and 6th. The next closest was where the Hidden Lakes townhomes are in Timbergrove. There were a number of wells in Timbergrove West of the bayou, running Northeast into  Sunset Heights between Beall and Bevis, North of 15th. I believe that was known as the Eureka Heights field.

The Bowen derrick was likely just an advertising device for Bowen Oil Tools when it was an independent company.

2 people like this

Alright, so looking at little more

jlmKgDV.png

This above image is from 1964. So I can't really make out the Derrick, but I can make out that little structure next to it and a shadow being cast on the derrick. Now take a look at reference structure 1 (which still exists today, I labeled it R1). In the photo provided by National Oilwell Varco, You can see reference structure 1, and you see construction columns being put in right next to it, for the expansion which exists today. 

In the next dated aerial photography(1966), Reference structure 1 expansion, is completed. Which places the photo from National Oilwell, between 1964 and 1966. 

VP5tlys.png

This image is from 1973, and you can once again, see the shadow of the derrick a little more clearly this time. The very next image from 1981, shows the still existing buildings in place. So, if it is the same derrick, it was likely moved sometime between 1973 and 1981.

f3IySEc.png

This image shows the current site in 1981, and now. Sure enough, 1981, is the first time I can barely make out the shadow of the well. I might agree with with you cspwal, I think that well was originally an advertisement for the company, at least since the 1960's

bYkQz4k.png

The current site, int he 1960's shows what looks like forest/trees in the well location. 

From the Lack of Restaurant Diversity in The Heights thread:

On 4/28/2016 at 9:56 AM, mcook2002 said:

this is positive news.  pi pizza truck moving into funky chicken / new concept coming to BFD as well

Pi Pizza will be the first new concept from former F.E.E.D. TX (Liberty Kitchen, BRC) partner Lee Ellis, via his new company Cherry Pie Hospitality. The restaurant will take over the space previously occupied by Ogden Hospitality’s Funky Chicken. Plans for renovations to the space have been submitted to the City of Houston for approval with an eye on a fall opening. It joins dessert shop Petite Sweets and Lee's Fried Chicken and Donuts under the Cherry Pie umbrella.

The good news for Pi Pizza fans is that the restaurant’s menu will be similar to what’s made the truck successful, specifically Calleo’s use of as many high-quality, housemade ingredients as possible. A few staple pizzas will always be available, and seasonal options will rotate on and off quarterly. Calleo says he’s optimistic that being able to make and rest his dough in a climate-controlled environment will further enhance its flavor. 

Both the meatball and the chicken parm sandwich from the Sandy Witch days will return. Calleo also has plans to supplement the pizzas with starters and salads.

“There’s no reason not to do salads,” Calleo says “We have all these really great ingredients that go on pizza. You take them off dough, you put them in a bowl, you rearrange them correctly, you have a really good salad.”

Triniti veterans Rob Harvey and Laurie Sheddan Harvey are handling Cherry Pie’s beverage program. Look for Pi Pizza to offer draft wine, craft beer, and frozen cocktails.

Turning to the future, the Funky Chicken space isn’t the only former Ogden Hospitality property that Cherry Pie has taken over. Ellis says he’s also working on a new concept for the former home of Bradley’s Fine Diner but says the specifics, including the name and the menu, are still pending approvals from the landlord and others. Those details will emerge in time, but, for now, Ellis says he’s focused on getting Calleo open and helping him grow Pi Pizza.

Here's the proposed rendering for Pi Pizza:

xMuo92G.jpg

Pi Pizza opens today in the Washington Heights complex

Her's photos inside Pi Pizza from Eater Houston:

Step Inside Pi Pizza, Now Slinging Wacky Pies & Bottled Cocktails In The Heights

Houstonians, rejoice! Pi Pizza, the highly anticipated culinary collaboration between restaurateur Lee Ellis and chef Anthony Calleo will officially open its doors for service for dinner tonight.

Expect an inventive and playful menu reflective of Calleo’s prior days slinging pies from his mobile food truck with 19 variations including The Grizzly Hawaiian, which includes (among other ingredients) pineapple, honey, "Grizzly Sauce," housemade ranch, and chicken. Look for a new creation that Calleo developed just for Ellis called Lee’s Pizza that brings together a custom combo of cheese, pepperoni, Italian sausage, and fresh jalapenos.

Though pizza gets center stage, the supporting cast of appetizers, salads, and sandwiches (from Callero’s former Sandy Witch days) are ready to entice as well with choices ranging from mac n' cheese rolls and fried Brussels sprouts to cheesesteak stromboli and chicken parm sub.

The drink menu lead by bar director Laurie Harvey runs the gamut from frozen cocktails to bottled potions and assorted beers, wines and an astonishing number of carbonated flavored juices and waters. Booze extends to desserts as well in the 21+ ice cream selections that pull in Harvey’s own recipe for the Old Fashioned plus beers from local breweries Buffalo Bayou and 8th Wonder for unique twists on the cold favorite.

Guests coming to dine at this counter-service establishment will notice design elements that tie in Calleo’s signature truck in both color and vibe. Turquoise, black, tan, and orange fill the space that offers booth, table, and bar-style seating. A focal point of one wall is the 21-skateboard art installation composed of boards commissioned by Ellis and designed by Los Angeles artist Dave MacDowell.

The restaurant opens for dinner at 4pm today with regular hours beginning tomorrow.

kss9Wm4.jpg

a5JjWwe.jpg

CtD12uE.jpg

p4uq9wn.jpg

GCBqmPz.jpg

9ay2Dth.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
1 person likes this

Lee Ellis and Cherry Pie Hospitality are opening a seafood restaurant called Starfish in the Washington Heights shopping plaza.

From CultureMap:

Starfish
With Pi Pizza and State Fare, Cherry Pie Hospitality has already opened two of this year’s most promising newcomers, and that looks set to continue with this seafood-centric restaurant coming to the former home of Bradley’s Fine Diner. According to a statement about the concept from Cherry Pie, partner Lee Ellis will “bring his eclectic style and flare for originality to the décor and ambiance”  at Starfish. Chef Jim Mills will ensure the food tastes pretty good, too.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/10-27-16-44-top-houston-area-bars-and-restaurants-are-expected-to-open-before-super-bowl-li/#slide=0

From Houston Chronicle:

Starfish: When restaurateur Lee Ellis took over some of the former Ogden Hospitality spaces, he saved one of his most ambitious projects for the former Bradley's Fine Diner at 191 Heights. Situated in the same strip mall as his hit Pi Pizza, Starfish is expected to boast a seafood menu.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/A-slew-of-new-restaurants-set-to-open-before-10794110.php

Starfish is moving into Bradley's Fine Diner at 191 Heights Blvd.

From a flyer from Streetwise Retail:

0CZGDIA.jpg

uhRo44t.jpg

Construction pictures of Starfish from Lee Ellis and Cherry Pie Hospitality. This is located at 191 Heights Blvd within the Washington Heights shopping plaza:

From architect Kevin Stewart's Instagram:

Private Dining Room coming together at cherry pie hospitality's latest.

uNRJjJz.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMUx8o6AUIn/

classic black and white

6kqfTlg.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOAPc4vATCa/

Thanks for the shots of our latest Houston collaboration from ADB. @thelifeoflee_ellis

OnLRN3b.jpg

8N0yBQA.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BN-MhhngQbN/

Really appreciating the efforts by our team members on this upcoming restaurant in Houston

fVAuO8D.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BONPYfcA_7y/

Starfish or Star Fish from Lee Ellis and Cherry Pie Hospitality is open at 191 Heights in the Washington Heights Center.

2uvpltZ.jpg

x3OrPAa.jpg

Photos from website.

3 people like this