Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

there is a huge oak tree next to southwell's that the developers were smart/kind enough to keep. they have the area sectioned off with a fence and a couple picnic tables. we ate under that tree on sunday and it was so nice. i really like southwell's but agree it will never be Someburger

Fatburger is out. As for the new building, according to the developer's site, it is going to more strip center type stuff. Right now they show Arby's (ugh) and a Vitamin Shoppe.

Woo hoo! ARBYS! :)

Like their dripping cheezy sandwich..

Southwell's is now open. It's nice to have so many decent choices for lunch walking distance from my studio.

That being said, Southwell's will never replace Someburger, Panda will never replace Sam's cafe, Dickey's will never replace Pizzitola's and Freebird's will never replace El Rey.

Still it's cool to have options.

i wouldn't even put El Rey and Freebirds in the same category. I've never had Southwell's, i'll have to check it out.

I get the appeal of Someburger, I guess, but quite frankly their burgers aren't all that. I think people rally around it because of what it is or represents to them, not how good their food is. If I'm craving a burger, it ain't on the list.

I enjoyed my burger at Southwells last week and agree with Heights Yankee about the tree and area outside, really like that. They only had two highchairs when we went, so I hope they fix that. There were four families there that needed highchairs. Other than that, glad it's there!

This Target complex and associated properties had so much potential but it is becoming a corporate franchises mecca. Sadly, my prediction is this Target is enroute to becoming the next ghetto Target.

I have never eaten at all the strip mall chain restuarants in this Target area because why would you want to when we are blessed with so many local places in this area.

This Target complex and associated properties had so much potential but it is becoming a corporate franchises mecca. Sadly, my prediction is this Target is enroute to becoming the next ghetto Target.

I have never eaten at all the strip mall chain restuarants in this Target area because why would you want to when we are blessed with so many local places in this area.

I'm not sure what potential you imagined, unless it was just a fantasy of yours. If you read the first half dozen posts in this thread, you'll see that this development is exactly what they said it would be...big box stores, smaller retail, bank branches and a few restaurants, with Target as the anchor. Large retail sites are developed for national retailers, not sole proprietors. The ma and pa shops go into older and smaller sites with smaller rents. This complex never had any more potential than exactly what it has become.

^ I think he's referring to fantasy. I too would prefer if the complex was unique and less bland-corporate-suburban strip mall, but those attributes don't seem to be hurting business judging from the traffic going in and out of the complex.

i agree with Red's assessment. sure, i think there are local chains that could have done better (southwell's is one, after all) but it is what it is. i support local businesses as much, if not more, than a lot of people but somedays my kids just need marble slab.

as far as ghetto target, i hardly think so. it's one of the highest earning Targets in metro Houston and they carry a lot more of the "designer" clothes and jewelry than even the san felipe store. any given day every luxury car maker is well represented in the parking lot. i just can't see that prediction coming true...

I've often wondered what percentage of the big-box shoppers eventually go to the other restaurants/stores near their primary

destination. I shop at this Target/Petsmart about every other week, but have never gone to any of the other places, and doubt I ever will. In the world of retail real estate, is there some sort of factor that's used? For example, we have area demographics of x, expect xx percent of those to shop the anchor, and xxxx of those to shop the smaller stores by virute of proximity?

My hope was for restaurant tenants like Cafe Express, La Madeline, Amazon, and that ilk. But the demographics obviously did not bear it out. All in all though, it's pretty handy.

Speaking of El Rey, anyone here ventured out to their new location at Bunker Hill and I-10. Pretty nice...

My hope was for restaurant tenants like Cafe Express, La Madeline, Amazon, and that ilk. But the demographics obviously did not bear it out. All in all though, it's pretty handy.

Speaking of El Rey, anyone here ventured out to their new location at Bunker Hill and I-10. Pretty nice...

i think this was discussed before but the big issue with the demographics is they are a decade old. the area has changed considerably in the last 10 years. apparently, target didn't make the store a super target b/c of these outdated demographics and now they are stuffing produce on any shelf they can because their food sales are through the roof. they made their decision based on the heights/washington corridor of 10 years ago. too bad for them.

the problem is the location is so good that even the bad places do well. this shopping center services a pretty underserved population- like downtown, the heights, rice military, etc... even the snobbiest yuppie will grab a panda express or taco bell on a night when they worked until 8 and they don't have to get out of their car...

i think this was discussed before but the big issue with the demographics is they are a decade old. the area has changed considerably in the last 10 years. apparently, target didn't make the store a super target b/c of these outdated demographics and now they are stuffing produce on any shelf they can because their food sales are through the roof. they made their decision based on the heights/washington corridor of 10 years ago. too bad for them.

the problem is the location is so good that even the bad places do well. this shopping center services a pretty underserved population- like downtown, the heights, rice military, etc... even the snobbiest yuppie will grab a panda express or taco bell on a night when they worked until 8 and they don't have to get out of their car...

I agree 100%.

Heights proper is not corporate/big box friendly, so this is where they go. I am glad, I don't want them in the Heights, but I do want them. I think it is a great use of the space. I would be a regular if there was a LaMadeliene or Cafe Express. I frequent, the Target, PetSmart and Washington Heights Veterinary Clinic, and often run by the TacoBell/KFC there (which I never ever do other times or other places). I have been to the Chili's and the Freebird.

I am so glad Bryan has opened his Southwell's there. His food is fabulous. He grew up as a Houston Country Club manager's son, so he learned the need for quality ingredients early. I stopped in on Friday last to do an adoption contract for a dog, and they were very kind to let us non-purchasing people use a table. When I bought a coke to "pay" for the table use, he was very nice and said I didn't have to do that. They will do well there. And they have alot more than burgers, although the burgers are fab.

And as an aside, the PetSmart would do well to replace its general manager. With as many dog lovers as there are in the area, he is the one and only reason that store is not packed. The only reason they get my business is its proximity to the veterinary clinic next door.

And as an aside, the PetSmart would do well to replace its general manager. With as many dog lovers as there are in the area, he is the one and only reason that store is not packed. The only reason they get my business is its proximity to the veterinary clinic next door.

I've heard similar things about the GM. Mean, nasty person. No personal interactions with them (yet), but because of the way they treated my friend, I'll be holding back as much business as possible.

• 5 years later...

I apologize for bumping a 5 year old thread. I cycle by this target quite often, and was looking for more information regarding the abandoned oil derrick adjacent to the Target (pictures below). Does anyone have a link with some information regarding this structure? I cant seem to find anything. My searches led me here, where some people mentioned it being painted in 2007 and 2006.  Who preserved it? Who maintains it? When was it built, etc?

Don't know if I should crosspost with the historic houston forum. 

z3bJjue.png

acgSddY.jpg

• Like 2

I apologize for bumping a 5 year old thread. I cycle by this target quite often, and was looking for more information regarding the abandoned oil derrick adjacent to the Target (pictures below). Does anyone have a link with some information regarding this structure? I cant seem to find anything. My searches led me here, where some people mentioned it being painted in 2007 and 2006.  Who preserved it? Who maintains it? When was it built, etc?

Don't know if I should crosspost with the historic houston forum. 

It's got a Bowen sign on it. That's a company that is owned by National Oilwell Varco. Maybe they have or had a facility in the area?

There's a photo of it on their web page...

Link

Edited by jgriff
  • Like 1

Since the topic's been bumped, I though I'd remind everybody that there's been a La Madeleine in the center for some months now.  It is a chain, too.  I've been to Freebird a couple of times.   But, as convenient as Target is to my home, there are non-chain eating options even closer....

• Like 1

Great find. On that link, heres a picture of the site back in the day (undated). I'll see if I can keep looking for more information but that helps a lot. Thanks!

slider1.jpg

You can see the derrick in that photo. I can't match up anything else though, even looking through historic photos I can't make a match.

• Like 1

I did some matching.

5NCNRvB.png

So this is actually on the South side of the Target. The derricks location has been moved (presuming its the same derrick). Ive matched up the letters, with the historical photo, and added other Reference buildings to help with orientation. I noted the 'original derrick location with the circle)

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 2

It's possible that the derrick was at one point a working well at Bowens (or just a sign saying hi we do oil wells) and was taken down and dumped on the lot where Target was built, and the developers thought it would look cool to put up in its present location.

Or there were two oil wells in the heights right there.

• Like 1

I did some matching.

5NCNRvB.png

So this is actually on the South side of the Target. The derricks location has been moved (presuming its the same derrick). Ive matched up the letters, with the historical photo, and added other Reference buildings to help with orientation. I noted the 'original derrick location with the circle)

Wow, good work. I was concentrating so much on the derrick that I never thought about it being moved. 

• Like 1

It's possible that the derrick was at one point a working well at Bowens (or just a sign saying hi we do oil wells) and was taken down and dumped on the lot where Target was built, and the developers thought it would look cool to put up in its present location.

Or there were two oil wells in the heights right there.

No oil wells there, according to the RRC. The closest well location was near Waverly and 6th. The next closest was where the Hidden Lakes townhomes are in Timbergrove. There were a number of wells in Timbergrove West of the bayou, running Northeast into  Sunset Heights between Beall and Bevis, North of 15th. I believe that was known as the Eureka Heights field.

The Bowen derrick was likely just an advertising device for Bowen Oil Tools when it was an independent company.

• Like 2

Alright, so looking at little more

jlmKgDV.png

This above image is from 1964. So I can't really make out the Derrick, but I can make out that little structure next to it and a shadow being cast on the derrick. Now take a look at reference structure 1 (which still exists today, I labeled it R1). In the photo provided by National Oilwell Varco, You can see reference structure 1, and you see construction columns being put in right next to it, for the expansion which exists today. 

In the next dated aerial photography(1966), Reference structure 1 expansion, is completed. Which places the photo from National Oilwell, between 1964 and 1966. 

VP5tlys.png

This image is from 1973, and you can once again, see the shadow of the derrick a little more clearly this time. The very next image from 1981, shows the still existing buildings in place. So, if it is the same derrick, it was likely moved sometime between 1973 and 1981.

f3IySEc.png

This image shows the current site in 1981, and now. Sure enough, 1981, is the first time I can barely make out the shadow of the well. I might agree with with you cspwal, I think that well was originally an advertisement for the company, at least since the 1960's

bYkQz4k.png

The current site, int he 1960's shows what looks like forest/trees in the well location.