Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. Plus, I'm looking forward to the bike trail running through the middle of it, so I can buy my toiletries and stuff them in my backpack.

How bohemian!

On a related note, have you noticed that they didn't purchase every lot in the area? I saw the groundwork, and right in the middle of the whole thing is a couple of old wooden houses. Can't wait to see how those fit in! Maybe build a fence around them? It will look so urban...not like those master planned malls, where they own the entire lot! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Slab pouring has begun for SHV. Electric poles are being moved back 10 ft. to the west on Sawyer to accommodate the street widening. The big oaks on Sawyerdale are fenced off... thankfully they will be spared.

Speaking of landscaping our studio is waiting until mid to late September to do our tree planting and bed work. The August heat is not friendly to planting.

Personally, Target not being "Super" seems better. 124,000 sq. ft. seems like plenty of box to me. I'd rather see more diversity and smaller retailers in there. Hope it doesn't turn out too tacky.

I drove by the Target site a couple of weekends ago to check out the progress. On the way I saw some sort of wharehouse with all these "President" busts in the parking area. These things must have been 10-15 feet tall. Made of some sort of concrete stucco mix. There were probably about 20 of them. From Teddy Roosevelt to Clinton. Anybody know anything about this? No I'm not crazy! The voices said they saw them also. :blink:

Those are busts for a presidents exhibit at a theme park (in Virginia?).  They are being created by a local sculptor.

Thanks for the info. The area around the Target is really different. Artist loft/wharehouses etc. It was fun exploring an area of Houston I never saw before. Hope the re-development doesn't drive out the artists.

Why are they doing that? It can look much more urban look at this similar one being built in Atlanta called the Edgewood Retail District - Atlanta

2537erd1.jpg

Site Plan

2537erd7.jpg

Looking east on Caroline Street

2537erd6.jpg

Caroline Street Mixed-Use Building Facades

2537erd11.jpg

Caroline Street Mixed-Use Building Facades

2537erd4.jpg

Big Box Facades

2537erd2.jpg

Hardee Street Duplexes

2537erd3.jpg

Outside of the residential/office space on the central street on the Atlanta one, it's not much different than wha planned for Houston. It's still a big box store with the parking lot. The store will have all the trees just like the Atlanta since it is now required by Houston also.

I don't see it being any different.

Most of it architectural detailing. The true urban place on the west end or rice military will be along washington especially when they try to fit the LRT down the middle.

acctually, the one in Atlanta makes it look like an urban place by having the parking in the back so that people can walk from shop to shop in the front. Looks much better than the plan for Houston's center. If it looks like highland village fine, but if it looks like Town & Country Village thats not fine.

• 1 month later...
Seriously, we need to raise our collective expectations.

This design will only encourage all new development in the area to provide the same "amenities" such as surface parking and drive thru pod sites.

At the VERY least, the developers should have considered the site's high visibility from I-10 and proximity to the bayou and built a parking garage.

Additionally, if you look at the retailers that tend to follow Target in these type of commercial developments, I see very little to be excited about. This site will be filled with a drive-thru CVS/Walgreens, 1 or 2 drive thru bank branches, likely drive thru fast food joints, and some Applebees type restaurant chains.

Whoopy doo.

Chase is building a drive-through brand at Washington and studemont . wow you must be physic or something seen that you said this back in April of this year

Will this be a Target or SuperTarger?

I've been hearing things on both sides. If anybody knows for sure, let us know.

I don't see the need for a simple target format anymore I think all the Targets being built now will be super targets or a wash down version similar to the one on San Felipe

• 1 month later...