Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

True, I just don't think we need any more of them if all they're going to have is cell phone stores.

True, but most of those cell phone stores will fail pretty soon, leaving a space that might be occupied by some family with a grandmother who makes some amazing foreign delicacy I've never heard of. I'm just little Mary Sunshine today.

True, I just don't think we need any more of them if all they're going to have is cell phone stores.

right. it's not the architecture of a strip center in and of itself. it's the kinds of tenants that are going in. i was even ok with the big box stores- i think we did need a target (better than a walmart) and i think staples will be handy. it's the panda express and chili's and 15 banks and matress stores and payless. ew. ew. ew.

there has been optimistic chatter that these will turn in time. fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

Pot Belly backed out (I didn't see them on the Property Commerce pdf)?!?!?! Did I miss a post about that?!

Also, do we know when they're supposed to start breaking ground for Petsmart, Freebirds, Fatburger or Marble Slab?!

It seems to me that after they finished Chili's & Panda Express, construction halted. They need to move faster! The first post was from 2004, you'd think 4 years later we'd at least have half of the stores up already. All the other shopping centers seems to be going up so much more quickly!

Maybe my perception is off.... patience is not a virtue I possess =o)

Pot Belly backed out (I didn't see them on the Property Commerce pdf)?!?!?! Did I miss a post about that?!

Also, do we know when they're supposed to start breaking ground for Petsmart, Freebirds, Fatburger or Marble Slab?!

It seems to me that after they finished Chili's & Panda Express, construction halted. They need to move faster! The first post was from 2004, you'd think 4 years later we'd at least have half of the stores up already. All the other shopping centers seems to be going up so much more quickly!

Maybe my perception is off.... patience is not a virtue I possess =o)

There is work going on... they started again... I am not sure for what exactly, but when I drove by the other day they were working on something... I believe in the area where Staples is supposed to be but I am not 100% sure.

This thread is hilarious. First, people were excited about a new Target. Then they got discouraged because there's an Arby's next to the Target.

It's all just shopping.

Despite the insane realty prices, the Heights lacks the concomitant infrastructure, i.e., all around shopping needs. A nice Target is a plus. Another mattress store, cell phone store, and Subway is a disappointment. The Kroger's on Sheperd and 11th is a joke. As it stands, the only real grocery store in our area is the Kroger's Signature on West Grey...and guess what, that's not exactly in our area. I used to live in West University where you had all the staples plus stand out alternatives. It just feels like we keep getting more of the same. Regarding Arby's - hey, I'll take it!

Despite the insane realty prices, the Heights lacks the concomitant infrastructure, i.e., all around shopping needs. A nice Target is a plus. Another mattress store, cell phone store, and Subway is a disappointment. The Kroger's on Sheperd and 11th is a joke. As it stands, the only real grocery store in our area is the Kroger's Signature on West Grey...and guess what, that's not exactly in our area. I used to live in West University where you had all the staples plus stand out alternatives. It just feels like we keep getting more of the same. Regarding Arby's - hey, I'll take it!

Hey there, Vergs. Welcome to the HAIF.

Just so you know, the Kroger on 11th is about to undergo a HUGE renovation. It will not only be bigger and newer than the one on W Gray, it will be bigger than the one on Buffalo Speedway down in your old 'hood. It will actually be the largest Kroger in the Southwest.

You generally don't sound happy with your move. What brought you to the north side?

Welcome to The HAIF.

Despite the insane realty prices, the Heights lacks the concomitant infrastructure, i.e., all around shopping needs. A nice Target is a plus.

I'm not hating on the Target; I think this thread is silly. When I lived in The Heights, I shopped at the Target on I-10, then the one on San Felipe. I never felt like I was lacking concomitant infrastructure.

Another mattress store, cell phone store, and Subway is a disappointment. The Kroger's on Sheperd and 11th is a joke. As it stands, the only real grocery store in our area is the Kroger's Signature on West Grey...and guess what, that's not exactly in our area.

It's all just groceries. I usually shopped at the concomitant Kroger's on 20th, or the HEB Pantry before it closed.

I used to live in West University where you had all the staples plus stand out alternatives. It just feels like we keep getting more of the same. Regarding Arby's - hey, I'll take it!

West U doesn't have La Michoacana.

Hey there, Vergs. Welcome to the HAIF.

Just so you know, the Kroger on 11th is about to undergo a HUGE renovation. It will not only be bigger and newer than the one on W Gray, it will be bigger than the one on Buffalo Speedway down in your old 'hood. It will actually be the largest Kroger in the Southwest.

link??? would love to read more about that. what on earth are they gonna do about parking??

How so? I shop there and they always have what I need. I know it's not the best grocery store in Houston, I just don't understand how it's a "joke"? Please explain? :mellow:

This is website one of my favorite sources of info (and entertainment!) but I rarely post. I just could not let an opportunity to post about the Kroger on 11th go by, though :P . I, too, think it is a joke. Overall, Kroger is not a favorite of mine in general because they have slowly weeded out choices in brands and have substituted their house brand which is really just an average generic product. I don't trust their meat products after buying items with good dates that smell ghastly when I opened the package. I recently tried to talk myself into buying their version of hormone-free chicken, but the package smelled so bad I put it back. I tried to tell someone, but they were apathetic. The store is grimy, the staff constantly changes and they are not really very polite. I find myself saying thank you to them when I check out instead of the other way around for some reason. The lines are ridiculous despite the "no more than three in line" policy. I have asked them to get more checkers in that situation and they just say they don't have anyone else. Parking is bad and ingress/egress is the pits. In a nicer neighborhood Kroger has cops directing folks in and out, but apparently they don't feel the Heights ranks that. I go to Rice on Westheimer and can drive there, shop and get back in about the same time it takes me to go to Kroger, park, shop and stand in line to check out. Yes, Rice is a bit more expensive, but I have compared a lot of prices and you would be surprised which one is more expensive sometimes. They also have all unusual, interesting items and brands. I do go to Kroger when I need something quickly, or just need a couple of things. Generally, I will go to the Kroger on 20th street in that case because parking is better and most of the employees are much nicer at that store. Did not mean to rant, but this is probably one of my biggest peeves!

I love that Kroger and get good meat from there all the time. I think you just have to know how to select good meat, which honestly has taken me years to get good at. They have great sales on meat compared to Randall's from what I've noticed.

I really don't buy much meat, but what I am talking about is not the quality or grade of meat, but the freshness. Both times I experienced a foul odor the packages had "good" dates so I am left to consider how Kroger handles and stores their meat. They also used to carry Buddy's Chicken but are now substituting their own thing (one of my complaints about Kroger) and I prefer Buddy's. I never go to Randall's because I am never near one. I have to go regularly near the Rice. When we decide to get a nice steak we go to Rice on Saturdays when they have choice grade NY strips for $10 pound. They typically have sale prices on their meat every Saturday. If we ate a lot more meat I would probably be more price concious.

link??? would love to read more about that. what on earth are they gonna do about parking??

no links available. this is just knowledge coming from living in the neighborhood and shopping at the store. when i 1st heard this, i contacted kroger corporate and was informed that the rumors were true. in fact, it was the corp office that told me it would be the largest in the southwest with a huge organic section. you can already see the organic products coming in. they are now both in the "heathfood" section and on the "regualr" store shelves.

My suggestion would be to use the empty parking lot to the north, east and southeast of the grocery store.

exactly. china buffet ain't doin' much bid-ness.

In a nicer neighborhood Kroger has cops directing folks in and out, but apparently they don't feel the Heights ranks that. I go to Rice on Westheimer and can drive there, shop and get back in about the same time it takes me to go to Kroger, park, shop and stand in line to check out. Yes, Rice is a bit more expensive, but I have compared a lot of prices and you would be surprised which one is more expensive sometimes. They also have all unusual, interesting items and brands. I do go to Kroger when I need something quickly, or just need a couple of things. Generally, I will go to the Kroger on 20th street in that case because parking is better and most of the employees are much nicer at that store. Did not mean to rant, but this is probably one of my biggest peeves!

Well, soon it will be a nice Kroger. Of course, i have a list of 1oo million other things i'd rather see cops doing in the heights. that being said, kroger (and randalls) are never going to be rice or central market or whole foods. it's a different market and different market experience altogether. it's apples to oranges. i personally will not shop at rice b/c the family that owns it is a bunch of jerks. if you are fortunate enough to be able to shop at non-rush hour times like i am, there will be a giant new HEB opening on i10 near costco soon.

rarely do i buy meat from kroger. it is more for canned goods and frozen foods for me, but i did have some of their organic chicken last night. it was pretty good and we all feel fine as of today.

when i 1st heard this, i contacted kroger corporate and was informed that the rumors were true. in fact, it was the corp office that told me it would be the largest in the southwest with a huge organic section.

Did you receive a written communication from Kroger corporate that you could post to the site? Or did you just speak to them on the phone? I would love to get an update on the timing of this expansion. These rumors are great, but I want to see the renovation begin!

Thanks!

timbergrovian

Did you receive a written communication from Kroger corporate that you could post to the site? Or did you just speak to them on the phone? I would love to get an update on the timing of this expansion. These rumors are great, but I want to see the renovation begin!

Thanks!

timbergrovian

yeah, i did but never felt the need to keep it cluttering up my inbox ^_^

i was actually there today buying cheap champagne for playgroup and asked an employee. they said work will start in september

Just check out the discussion in this forum for the Kroger details.

It is to start in September 2008.

The will expand towards Durham making the store deeper (longer rows). It will be the largest Kroger in the southwest based on square footage.

Essentially we'll get a Kroger similar to the one on Buffalo Speedway.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Southwell's is now open. It's nice to have so many decent choices for lunch walking distance from my studio.

That being said, Southwell's will never replace Someburger, Panda will never replace Sam's cafe, Dickey's will never replace Pizzitola's and Freebird's will never replace El Rey.

Still it's cool to have options.