CW 39 Morning Newscast begins Monday & Sharron Melton returns to Houston TV

Blue Dogs

Good News ladies & gentlemen: former Ch. 13 KTRK-TV Houston Morning Anchor Sharron Melton is BACK on Houston TV News..... this time with CW 39 KIAH-TV Houston's morning newscast beginning on Monday, October 22nd, 2018.

The Morning TV Newscast will include a new bunch of on-air news anchors & reporters except for Maggie Flecknoe, who will be continuing with CW 39, where she has been providing local morning cut-in's for the station.

For those, who don't know who the rest of the news anchors & reporters of CW 39 are yet, here we go:

Sharron Melton (Anchor):  She needs no introduction since Houston TV viewers know who she is.... Native of San Antonio (GO SPURS GO) came to Ch. 13 KTRK-TV Houston in 2007 from weekend anchor duties at WSVN-TV Miami, FL. Prior to that, she worked at WPMI-TV Mobile, AL & KOBR-TV Rosewell, NM. The award winning journalist got her start as a radio reporter for the Agriculture Communications Network. The TAMU graduate also has a Master's Degree in Television Communication from Eastern New Mexico University.

Since leaving Ch. 13 (which many people still consider very controversial to this day), Melton launched her podcast "Sharing the Sugar with Sharron"., where she interviewed some big names about the importance of giving back to their communities. Melton is also a proud member of the International Women's Forum Houston Chapter, the National Association of Black Journalists & has been a member of the Board of Directors for the Girls Scouts of San Jacinto Council in Houston & Steering Committee for Women of Wardrobe with Dress For Success Houston. Houston Woman's Magazine named her one of the 50 Most Influential Women in the City of Houston.

Shannon LaNier (Anchor): Most recently worked as weekend anchor from Fios1 News in NY St. Before that, LaNier was a multi-media journalist at News 12 Networks.

Maria Sotolongo: Meteorologist: Previously worked at FOX 4 KDFW-TV Dallas/Fort Worth for 6 years as not only one of the meteorologists, but also an entertainment reporter. She later stepped away from the morning news in order to become a full-time mother in 2007, since moving to Houston. She also worked at Telemundo's "Primera Edicion".

Shane Allen: Reporter

Courtney Carpenter: Reporter

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2018/10/sharron-melton-houston-tv-cw39-morning-dose.html

Let me know how do you like the CW 39 Morning Newscast Team..

• 2 years later...

This particular morning show was actually cancelled and re-launched as "No Wait Weather + Traffic" last year. 

The current version of the show is actually watchable from the times I have popped in to see it. It runs from 6-10 AM and has weather and traffic every ten minutes with news and features rotating throughout the program. Sharron Melton is still the anchor. 

I still think it's kind of funny that the morning show is done in-house but the 9 PM newscast is produced by KTRK. 

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 12:12 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

This particular morning show was actually cancelled and re-launched as "No Wait Weather + Traffic" last year. 

The current version of the show is actually watchable from the times I have popped in to see it. It runs from 6-10 AM and has weather and traffic every ten minutes with news and features rotating throughout the program. Sharron Melton is still the anchor. 

I still think it's kind of funny that the morning show is done in-house but the 9 PM newscast is produced by KTRK. 

I noticed that Lanier had left for FL several months earlier. Guessing he wasn't popular with folks in Houston.

• 10 months later...
On 9/11/2021 at 12:12 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Since this post, they've tweaked the show some. In 2021, they trimmed the first half-hour and the last. It begins at 5:30 AM now and ends at 9:30. Maggie Flecknoe's Houston Happens segment is now a 30-minute show and occupies the 9:30 AM - 10 AM spot. It's a mix of local guests along with sponsored segments, which is par for the course these days, especially with the stations under the ownership of their parent company, Nexstar (IMO). 

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
text
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 3:50 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Since this post, they've tweaked the show some. In 2021, they trimmed the first half-hour and the last. It begins at 5:30 AM now and ends at 9:30. Maggie Flecknoe's Houston Happens segment is now a 30-minute show and occupies the 9:30 AM - 10 AM spot. It's a mix of local guests along with sponsored segments, which is par for the course these days, IMO - especially with the stations under the ownership of their parent company, Nexstar (IMO). 

They need to expand Maggie's show to a full HR.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...