Evacuees Leaving Dallas For Houston

J.A.S.O.N.

I think that most of the 150 are actually people already here, since FEMA is kicking them out of the Hotels and Motels they were put up in originally. Mayor Bill White is asking FEMA to give them just a little more time. I don't know what good that's gonna do. The folks being housed are doing the same things they did in N.O. most are not looking for jobs, and are applying for their benefits here now, now that their FEMA checks have run out. I know this view will probably ruffle some feathers around here. I apologize in advance. ^_^

I think that most of the 150 are actually people already here, since FEMA is kicking them out of the Hotels and Motels they were put up in originally. Mayor Bill White is asking FEMA to give them just a little more time. I don't know what good that's gonna do. The folks being housed are doing the same things they did in N.O. most are not looking for jobs, and are applying for their benefits here now, now that their FEMA checks have run out. I know this view will probably ruffle some feathers around here. I apologize in advance. ^_^

No, our feathers aren't ruffled at all. We would like to know your source, though. Is it anecdotal, in that you have talked to a couple of evacuees, who aren't looking for jobs? Or, is it that you have seen city reports that have quantified the number of people doing this? I'm curious how you even know how many evacuees are IN Houston, much less their job and benefit status.

Could you shed some light on it for us?

I only know about the FEMA thing from what was on the morning news. As far as not looking for jobs, and living in Hotels, well.......ok, here it goes, since Katrina hit I would say my co-workers and I have dealt with at least 1,000+ people claiming to be evacuees. Out of those about, 60% do not have a job, and have wanted to use their FEMA checks to use as a downpayment for a new vehicle. When I inquire how they intend to pay the rest off without a job, most times the response is, " Well, I ain't worried about that right now." I understand these folks have been through a terrible ordeal. When I ask them what their job was before the storm, the response was, "I didn't have one. I got my government check and now they don't know where I am." So, yes, I am only going by experience, so it is ancedotal. I have been able to help out quite a few "evacuees" purchase new vehicles. In fact I am selling one to an "evacuee" on Friday. There are some who have actually started a new life here, and some who , to me, are still doing the same old things they were doing in New Orleans, just the status quo.

I was at the Starbucks (The one in the River Oaks Center, thats actually in the Strip Center, next to Chase's Closet). And as I was pulling out, I saw this person like stand there, waiting. I thought maybe they were trying to get around. Turned out it was a she, and she knocked on my window for money, saying she was kicked out of the woman's center or something like that.

I hate being harrased... :(

I was at the Starbucks (The one in the River Oaks Center, thats actually in the Strip Center, next to Chase's Closet). And as I was pulling out, I saw this person like stand there, waiting. I thought maybe they were trying to get around. Turned out it was a she, and she knocked on my window for money, saying she was kicked out of the woman's center or something like that.

I hate being harrased... :(

last time i was in the area (river oaks theater) i was asked twice for money within a five minute period. seems to definitely getting worse, but they're also probably homeless houstonians just shuffled from downtown...

last time i was in the area (river oaks theater) i was asked twice for money within a five minute period. seems to definitely getting worse, but they're also probably homeless houstonians just shuffled from downtown...

Those people probably have a loft just down the street on San Felipe, some of those guys make like $200 to $300 a day, then go jump in their Mercedes and go home and see whats shakin' on HAIF.com ! :blink:

I have noticed most Lousiana cars are also new looking as well!!

I live in a crowded apartment complex and I notice as well that the Texas cars are all gone and yet the Louisana cars are still there. One car hasn't moved for 2 days.

As far as being pushed out of their home, the ordeal was bad, but one can overstay their welcome and yet don't they have family they can stay with elsewhere in the U.S.?

Getting kicked out of the hotel is not a surprise to me (and someone needs a edge or they'd (evacuees) would never leave. Did they think they could stay in this hotel forever?

I say if anything if they don't find a place by Jan they should be removed. I mean they had since August, they have FEMA checks (to live off of for now)...what else could we as Texans do?

Archived