Lost Restaurants Of Houston

pgalvani

As my wife, Christiane, and I were researching our recently published book, Lost Restaurants of Houston, we started a list of Houston restaurants that are no more. We stopped at 850 restaurants, convinced that this is but a small percentage of those that have come and gone. The restaurant business is a tough business to be in with no guarantees of long-term success.

lost restaurants cover pic.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bought this book this weekend to give my mother for Mother's Day or her birthday next month, and spent the afternoon looking through it. What a great resource, more than just a simple listing of notable closed restaurants with blurbs about their histories, the front section of the book is a great general history of Houston's restaurant scene going back to the Allen Brothers. Plus I loved the inclusion of recipes for favorite dishes from many of the restaurants listed, intend to try several. May have to buy a second copy so I can keep one for myself.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:43 PM, neuman said:

Is Windswept Inn  mentioned or does anyone recall it? I think it was on Airline in the Aldine area. It was the late 70's and I was young.

I think it's been mentioned here before. I ate there many times, as I grew up in the area and it was a favored destination for my parents when we'd go out to eat. Best fried chicken I've ever had, including the variety served at the Barbecue Inn. 

Wind_Swept_Inn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was impressed at some of the details researched, and even the things that I thought were errors actually weren't (the dry zone WAS repealed in 2017, not 2016, from online articles, and I thought they had goofed on the Fiesta on Wirt, which was still open, turns out they were reporting on the Long Point/Wirt location). However, online says that the former Confederate House (known as State Grille by that time) closed in 2008 (despite the property being sold in 2006, like it says). It does not, however, answer a mystery about the restaurant, a second location. Sometime in the mid-1980s, they appear to have opened a location in College Station, TX with the same logo and from what I've heard from others, same sort of service. The founder of Confederate House did grow up in the Brazos County area and had relatives there, but I can't find anything else on it. It ultimately disappeared in less than five to six years, and the building (part of a FedMart, originally) was recently torn down for new development.

15 hours ago, IronTiger said:

However, online says that the former Confederate House (known as State Grille by that time) closed in 2008 (despite the property being sold in 2006, like it says). It does not, however, answer a mystery about the restaurant, a second location. Sometime in the mid-1980s, they appear to have opened a location in College Station, TX with the same logo and from what I've heard from others, same sort of service. The founder of Confederate House did grow up in the Brazos County area and had relatives there, but I can't find anything else on it. It ultimately disappeared in less than five to six years, and the building (part of a FedMart, originally) was recently torn down for new development.

I'd bet Bill Edge could probably shed light on the question of a second location. He has an obit for his father on his website that underscores his longtime connection to Texas A&M, but it is silent as to the restaurant in College Station. There's a link to a contact form on the site but it's a dead end, however, he does provide a phone number.

https://billedge.com/gordon-edge-sr/

• The title was changed to Lost Restaurants Of Houston

Archived