Houston On The International Map

editor

This is a photograph of a wall display in the lobby of a hotel I stayed in recently in Asia.

It was a business hotel with visitors from around the world. As you can see, they mark the time for the major cities so people can orient themselves and know what time it is where they're from. This was especially important for the throngs of buisinessmen constantly clogging the bank of pay phones in the lobby when they realized their cell phones don't work in Japan.

Anyway, the designers of the display could have chosen any city to represent America's Central time zone. They could have gone with Dallas or Chicago or whatever. But they chose Houston.

Interesting.

tzc.jpg

I was in the Neumarkt in Koln (Cologne), Germany, and I was inside thise 3 story "mini mall" department store, and on the ground floor, theres a tiny food area, with tables and chairs, and on the wall is a big panoramic picture of all the major cities, well, there skylines. And all the way on the left side, is the Bank of America Center, along with 1 Shell Plaza, The Wells Fargo Plaza, and 1100 Louisiana. Then it moves on to Chicago, New York, London, Berlin, Cologne, Moscow, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc.

Anyways, I thought that was pretty cool. I also saw a picture of the Houston Skyline in a tiny traveling agency's office. It was the only photo in the display, of any city, and it was Houston's!

I think were known more for the skyline then anything, when it comes to it, other then NASA.

edit edit edit* Typos :)

When I get back into town, I will have to post the picture that we took a few years ago in front of a Tokyo subway ad. I have no idea what the ad was selling, but there is a beautiful beach/ocean scene, along with the Continental and Enron buildings! R-A-N-D-O-M

if you send me or post a pic with kanji.. i can translate it for you. :)

This is a photograph of a wall display in the lobby of a hotel I stayed in recently in Asia.

It was a business hotel with visitors from around the world. As you can see, they mark the time for the major cities so people can orient themselves and know what time it is where they're from. This was especially important for the throngs of buisinessmen constantly clogging the bank of pay phones in the lobby when they realized their cell phones don't work in Japan.

Anyway, the designers of the display could have chosen any city to represent America's Central time zone. They could have gone with Dallas or Chicago or whatever. But they chose Houston.

Interesting.

tzc.jpg

notice that they have Tokyo as the center of the world. ;)

Well, given that OPEC regularly meets in Vienna, they probably have a working knowledge of oil there. And, since oil runs the world's economy, and Houston is it's capital, it is probably better known for oil than you might guess.

Here'a an article, datelined in Vienna, discussing OPEC's meeting there and Hurricane Rita.

http://www.energybulletin.net/9025.html

The excitment it gone now, I just noticed that they even put Anchorage on there. <_<

The Japanese love Alaska and Hawaii because they're the closest, fastest, and cheapest ways to get to the U.S.A.

Actually, if you look at the display, there really isn't any room to put a clock over Dallas or Chicago.

Houston seemed like a good fit.

I don't think it's a fit thing. If it was about space they could have easily put it over Mexico City, which is also noted on the same panel. I think they deliberately chose Houston.

And why is New Delhi and Bombay 20min.s behind all the rest?

India, Nepal, Butan, Burma, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, and Iran are all like that where they are X hours and 30 minutes ahead/behind us.

I believe several other islands along with central Australia are like that too.

Interesting.

tzc.jpg

Now THAT'S what I'm talking 'bout!!

India, Nepal, Butan, Burma, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, and Iran are all like that where they are X hours and 30 minutes ahead/behind us.

I believe several other islands along with central Australia are like that too.

Parts of South America and Canada are on 30-minute time zones, too. Some places in the world are on 15 minute time zones, but I haven't been to any of those yet.

I don't think it's a fit thing. If it was about space they could have easily put it over Mexico City, which is also noted on the same panel. I think they deliberately chose Houston.

Does any other US city in our time zone have as much trade with Asia as Houston?

We're probably of interest due to the Port of Houston and consulates.

• 2 years later...
in a select few cities (Internationally), that actually do business with us, know us for our oil. You ask someone in Vienna what they know Houston for, I doubt Oil will come to mind.

If by a select few cities you mean the cities that trade heavily in oil... Those cities that don't operate in an oil based economy though, they have no idea.

Archived