Jensen And Navigation Blvd. Roundabout

Can't wait to see the progress from this and the continued growth in the direct vicinity, with the Ancorian Project on Commerce behind the shopping center currently there and the future of the big lot between Canal and Runnels being potentially sold to Midway in the KBR transaction. Hopefully the BBP incorporates more improvements to Guadalupe Park Plaza as mentioned above. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot

That’s fair. I was just thinking that if it’s meant to be a gateway to the East End, then it would be silly for one of the streets off of the roundabout to be a short dead end street.

Also, I would guess that blocking off Runnels would have an effect on traffic flow and would mean whatever traffic analysis was used to justify this change to the intersection (which I assume was based in part on an increase in traffic volume) may no longer be applicable.

• 3 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 9:25 AM, I'm Not a Robot said:

On the Agenda for the January meeting, the East End District is considering  an additional traffic study for alternatives to a roundabout at Jensen/Navigation. I wonder what caused this seemingly sudden change of plan. 

is it the east end district that wanted the roundabout in the first place, or are they just reacting to a situation proposed by the city?

• 3 months later...

https://www.eastenddistrict.com/wp-content/uploads/April-Board-Mtg.-Agenda.pdf

13. B. 3. is a note that they will report on the roundabout in the board meeting this week. 

http://tirz23.org/accountability/agendas/

April 2019 Agenda 

10. Consider partial payment of reinvestment zone contribution to construction of roundabout at Jensen and Navigation.

So I'm guessing they will pick up where they left off on this? I never heard whether they voted to continue with an additional study to determine how to go forward

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2019 at 8:46 PM, I'm Not a Robot said:

Glad this is still going to be turned into a roundabout. We definitely need a lot more of these in town. They are way more versatile than a regular intersection. Probably should also be one on Nav. and N. York. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Glad this is still going to be turned into a roundabout. We definitely need a lot more of these in town. They are way more versatile than a regular intersection. Probably should also be one on Nav. and N. York. 

https://www.eastenddistrict.com/wp-content/uploads/June-2019-Board-Meeting-Agenda.pdf

Looks like the board will be looking to approve the selection of the committee assigned to the project this Thursday. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

Navigation-Roundabout-3-14-2013.pngZona-Central-e1567700546803.png

They demolished my house in this drawing!

All jokes aside though, interesting that EEMD, or the developer of the roundabout, whoever made the drawing, would have renderings of the new buildings (both of Marquette's) but not incorporate them in their presently designed form.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I like the idea a lot. It would be great to have some public art at the roundabout, but this just seems to be putting the cart before the horse.

Maybe actually sign a contract to get the roundabout built first? I know funding is secured, but that's it...

• 8 months later...

Jensen is being resurfaced from Clinton to Navigation. I spoke to the construction crew which said that all they are working on is resurfacing and that they are unaware of any plans to turn the Navigation/Jensen/Runnels intersection into a roundabout. However, there were COH and EEMD supervisors with the crew. I wasn't able to talk to them as they were all on the phone.

I had recently seen survey crews on site with markers placed at the intersection. Hopefully they are working on both at the same time...

• Like 2

Simplifying the roundabout to one lane may help drivers but I'm not sure if it helps traffic. Two lane roundabouts DO exist in Houston (ex. Washington and Westcott, which is a good example since it also includes of a single road going from north/south to west/east) but every time I see one of the "two lanes narrowed into one" design, it tends to affirm my belief that traffic circles are just form-over-function novelties.

@IronTiger the current intersection is absolute cancer. You current have a 4-way intersection which, because of the 45 degree angle of the Navigation bend and Jensen, ends up actually being an 8-signal intersection as the left turns aren't properly aligned, so they have their own sequence. Add in the stoplight on the Navigation to Navigation right turn, and you technically have a 9-sequence light for a four-way intersection. It's also important to note that the amount of traffic going from Runnels to Navigation or Jensen is usually 1-3 cars, per cycle, max. The traffic from that side is negligible, but they have their own part of the cycle.

Unless you can realign the interesetion into a grid (which you can't), the *only* way to improve it is to add a continuous flow roundabout. I don't care if it's only one lane, anything that keeps this from being a 5 minute light is function over form. Especially when you add in a new 400 unit apartment complex right at the intersection.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

for the size this intersection is currently, I imagine a 2 lane roundabout will fit. 

the amount of traffic I ever see in this intersection currently doesn't really warrant/need 2 lanes, but growth in the area will happen, and a 2 lane roundabout will make sense.

• Like 5

On 10/28/2020 at 10:09 PM, JBTX said:

@IronTiger the current intersection is absolute cancer. You current have a 4-way intersection which, because of the 45 degree angle of the Navigation bend and Jensen, ends up actually being an 8-signal intersection as the left turns aren't properly aligned, so they have their own sequence. Add in the stoplight on the Navigation to Navigation right turn, and you technically have a 9-sequence light for a four-way intersection. It's also important to note that the amount of traffic going from Runnels to Navigation or Jensen is usually 1-3 cars, per cycle, max. The traffic from that side is negligible, but they have their own part of the cycle.

Unless you can realign the interesetion into a grid (which you can't), the *only* way to improve it is to add a continuous flow roundabout. I don't care if it's only one lane, anything that keeps this from being a 5 minute light is function over form. Especially when you add in a new 400 unit apartment complex right at the intersection.

Part of the problem with the existing intersection is I see is the insistence that eastbound Navigation has to have two lanes going continuous to the southbound part (requiring an additional light), which the roundabout would get rid of anyway. So if that were the case, I present to you a cost-effective alternative, for your consideration.

http://www.carbon-izer.com/files/haif/jnavi-1.png

Edited by IronTiger