Some KPRC Changes In Schedule

LarryDallas

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We have concern about the (news) product in general, the tabloid-style journalism," said Sandifer-Walker.

Among local stations, Channel 2 usually finishes No. 3 in the ratings. Earlier this year the station slipped to No. 4 in morning news."

Well, hell, I'd boycott them for that, too. :lol:

I don't get that comment, what does it mean when you say that someone is in the grease?

And Taslan Alfonzo get bumped and she quit and left for Florida. Stupid Jan.

there is a protest going on at channel 2 - this website www.isiahcarey.blogspot.com has the details and the insider info.

• 2 weeks later...
It sure does.

This afternoon, a KPRC (who else?) reporter was covering a story from the Multi-Purpose Center on West Gray. She concluded by saying "This is Mary Benton, reporting live from southwest Houston."

What is 'southwest Houston' - maybe 100 square miles? Think you could narrow it down a bit, Mary?

KPRC seems to think that everything south of I-10 and west of Main St. is Southwest Houston. They'll say "Southwest Houston" for reports from Midtown, Montrose, Uptown, the Med Center, the Bellaire area... and some places that really are "Southwest" like Sharpstown and Alief. They must have taken a map of the city and drawn two lines to divide it into four sections, and told their reporters they have to say "live from Southwest/Northwest/Northeast/Southeast Houston" on all reports based on that map. It's one thing when they really are in what everyone else in the city considers "Southwest Houston," but it sounds pretty ridiculous when they are filing the report from the corner of Montrose and Westheimer, in a neighborhood that nobody besides KPRC calls "Southwest".

This protest of channel 2 was a total non-event because I heard abuot it weeks later on this forum. What a bunch of imbeciles these protestors are. BTW, how come Quanell X represents the interests of all black people in the Houston area? These self appointed leaders are a joke. It can be comparable to David Duke thinking he is a spokesman for every single Anglo living in the south. SHAME ON the channel 2 director to even agree to meet with them.

I find myself not watching much news at all these days and life is better because of it. If anyone is to be protested it is KTRK for keeping Jeff Elhing and Gina Gaston employed.

I remember when Quannell X was a street punk/thug back in the 80's. Not much has changed.

Does anyone remember when Tom Koch was anchoring the morning program and said "____" instead of "should" in a sentence? I thought Gina Gaston was going to lose it. You could actually hear the cameramen laughing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Okay, just a random update, but I noticed that Sara Allen has been completely removed from KPRC, i.e. see is not even a reporter anymore. Anyone have updates and the latest changes?

3821504_200X150.jpg

I have also notice that Radar has been removed from the top banner (be still featured elsewhere) and replaced with Jason Brewer.

9450172_200X150.jpg

Can one station sustain 4 weather personalities, or is someone leaving, (Hopefully the husky-eyed Billingsly!)

Edit: I remember Anthony Yanez as the weekend weather man, and it looks like Jason has that spot, anyone watch the news on the weekend, or anytime to see Anthony, maybe he is gone?

4822686_240X180.jpg

Edit: I remember Anthony Yanez as the weekend weather man, and it looks like Jason has that spot, anyone watch the news on the weekend, or anytime to see Anthony, maybe he is gone?

4822686_240X180.jpg

I just saw him a few days ago so i believe he's still there.

My father-in-law was a weatherman on KPRC for 40 something years and he still knows a lot of guys at Channel 2. The scoop is that they are having 4 weatherman now due to the hurricane season starting. During the hurricanes last year Billingsley and other were on the air days straight and they want more guys for coverage. Sara has been gone for a good while... I know she was on maternity leave for a good while and a quick search online didn't find her at a new station so maybe she's doing the mommy thing full time.

A quick search online didn't find her at a new station so maybe she's doing the mommy thing full time.

I did that too, thinking the new newstation website would feature her, but alas no luck, the email she sent said she was not leaving to go anywhere, but I guess she decided to stay as an at home mom, as you mentioned. B)

I can't imagine them needing 4 weather forcasters year round, so is someone going to get the boot come November?

I did that too, thinking the new newstation website would feature her, but alas no luck, the email she sent said she was not leaving to go anywhere, but I guess she decided to stay as an at home mom, as you mentioned. B)

I can't imagine them needing 4 weather forcasters year round, so is someone going to get the boot come November?

13 has four and had 5 until Heidi Jones went to europe. 11 has four too.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, than I stand corrected, thank you musicman! :o:unsure::D

Looks like Ch 13 is ahead again at 5 weathermen. I noticed that they have a new meteorolgist named Travis Herzog as of this morning. I just saw David Tillman at 6 so I guess the new guy will be working weekend mornings.

Remember Chuck George (weather guy)? Who was the AM anchor when he was there? As I recall they had a great chemistry between the newsdesk, weather, and traffic at that time.

I do remember Bob Nicholas and Olga Velaverde, whatever her name was, were the main anchors of the morning news at the time. Don Armstrong, of course, was the traffic reporter, and there were even sports reports in the morning.

BTW, KPRC is going down the drain. I predict the following:

• A major shakeup where at least one of its anchors gets bumped...it's already expected to happen b/c of Jerome Gray.
  • Once KRIV gets into the early evening game...KPRC will fall to fifth in Houston (KHOU and KTRK, KXLN, and KRIV ahead)
  • New theme music.
  • A lot of reporters will be told to either act more professional or get out.
  • New set...the current one is the most outdated news set in America...AND HOUSTON IS A TOP 10 MARKET...GROW UP YOU FOOLS BROADCASTING LIVE OUT OF SHARPSTOWN!

I do miss the old KPRC when it was advertised as "Houston Proud" and advertised itself as a champion of native Houstonians who mostly resided in the western portions of the city as opposed to the working class nature of KTRK. My guarantee is that a lot of the KPRC audience has gone to KHOU and KRIV; the former is the assumed choice of the white-collar suburbs, the latter is fixing to undergo a radical makeover of its own.

Given those facts - the big three in Houston are advertised as the following:

KPRC - young viewers who crave tabloid journalism

KHOU - well-educated viewers, lots of viewers from the suburbs

KTRK - working-class, minorities

KRIV & KHCW - no way to distinguish b/c KRIV will undergo a radical makeover and KHCW only has one newscast (there will also be a makeover there as well b/c of the CW)

KXLN & KTMD - Hispanic neighborhoods...but KXLN has much more clout in ratings...bigger facilities too

Now, on the regions:

The southern portions of the city of Houston are referred to as "Houston's Southside"...they probably coined this term from their reporters' trips to Chicago during the World Series...the White Sox play in Chicago's Southside.

Now about the regions of Houston:

Houston's Southside: areas south of Reliant Park and the Medical Center (and the universities as well).

Southeast Houston: east of Hobby Airport, centered around the Gulf Freeway until you get to the Beltway.

Southwest Houston: Sharpstown, Alief, Braeswood areas...maybe Meyerland.

Northwest Houston: The Heights, and areas of Houston until you get to about a mile or two away from the Beltway.

North Houston: Northline Mall area, Greenspoint

Northeast Houston: areas about a mile east of I-45 geographically, all the way to about a few miles shy of the Beltway.

West Houston: West of the Galleria, all the way to Highway 6.

East Houston: anywhere along the proposed Harrisburg line.

Any areas outside the Beltway in Harris County that I have not mentioned are unincorporated areas. (e.g. Champions area referred to as "Northwest Harris County" in news circles)

BTW, Darren Lyn is now working for ESPN. He's now the Houston-based reporter for the network.

BTW, KPRC is going down the drain. I predict the following:

[*]New theme music.

That outta fix it! Why bother hiring real journalists reporting in-depth news when all the viewers want is new theme music between house fires and botox features?

B)

Looks like Ch 13 is ahead again at 5 weathermen. I noticed that they have a new meteorolgist named Travis Herzog as of this morning. I just saw David Tillman at 6 so I guess the new guy will be working weekend mornings.

Travis was a weatherman here in Bryan-College Station on KBTX.

Now about the regions of Houston:

Houston's Southside: areas south of Reliant Park and the Medical Center (and the universities as well).

Southeast Houston: east of Hobby Airport, centered around the Gulf Freeway until you get to the Beltway.

Southwest Houston: Sharpstown, Alief, Braeswood areas...maybe Meyerland.

Northwest Houston: The Heights, and areas of Houston until you get to about a mile or two away from the Beltway.

North Houston: Northline Mall area, Greenspoint

Northeast Houston: areas about a mile east of I-45 geographically, all the way to about a few miles shy of the Beltway.

West Houston: West of the Galleria, all the way to Highway 6.

East Houston: anywhere along the proposed Harrisburg line.

Any areas outside the Beltway in Harris County that I have not mentioned are unincorporated areas. (e.g. Champions area referred to as "Northwest Harris County" in news circles)

I have to disagree with your discriptions. southeast is too narrow as are many of your descriptions. there appear to be lots of areas that you missed based on your descriptions. like what area is EAST of the Galleria?

Jessica Willey always looks like she has a cold casue her eyes look watery and her nose looks red. That said, I would say yeah she is attractive but probably not the most attractive on Houston TV.

Did you all see that stupid stunt KTRK had her pull when Rita got as close to Galveston? She went into the street wearing slickers with a hat and kept saying pretty much the same thing about wind and rain. Dave and his Gina Gaston kept going back to her every 5 minutes. At one point her hat flew off her head and they continued to stay with her for an extended time becasue wet hair on a attractive woman sort of sexed it up and they were not going to let that slip away. So obvious KTRK.

Aww and I missed it!

(I just saw this)

Travis was a weatherman here in Bryan-College Station on KBTX.

That is not saying much. He was smart to leave that place and move on with his career. That city is so boring, and this is coming from a former Aggie.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
How do you like the new schedule and who anchors what news time on channel 2?

I speculate a lot of hate and anger between the talking heads there. They stabbed Khambrel Marshall and linda Lorell in the back. I have and will misspell many names here so deal with it.

The morning show. It has improved a lot ever since Owen Conflenti and Rachel McNeil host it now. McNeil started off a reporter and rightfully IMHO earned a seat on the desk. I like that she does not banter and make stupid jokes or ask "what do you mean by that?" after a field reporter has given a complete report. Conflenti I have no idea as to where he is from or his experience but I see big time network star in this guy. He's got a voice for radio and a face okay for TV. He is sort of creepy though cause he stares at his co-host like a stalker when she is doing the talking.

I'm glad they took Sara Allen off of the air after her 3-5 month stint as the host. She would make the news way too cheery and bright. I'd say her "nice and sweet" routine was to the point it made you want to vomit. She also had these crazy eyes that came through the TV and hypnotized the viewer into "NBC good....watch channel 2....good...". YIKES! I read in the paper a while ago that Gasia Makelian moved to San Fransico's NBC station casuse that is her hometown. I must say I miss her commedy a lot. She used to co-host it a long time and when her co-host talked about something like a murder suicide she would just smile really hard and stay frozen staring into to the camera. She was a great commedian and had one hell of a great dentist!

I don't watch mid day of evenings much so I dunno what has occured there. I do know that they put Linda Lorell on the earlier broadcast and left Balleza and Sachse with the prime time spot at night. Khambrel is no where to be found after he toiled for them for at least 4 years.

Man what I wouldn't give to hear the behind the scenes comments and see the footage of what is going on there. There must be so much hate and jealousy.

Anyone know why they shuffled so many people around like this?

BTW, I still think Gerome Gray should have Greg Hurst's job on KHOU. That guy has been on the air since I was a kid at the same station. Sherr Min Chow should be the lead female anchor there as well.

Thank you for catching me up. So Kambrel and Linda are gone. What happened to Bryon Miranda? One day, he was there and the next - gone.

Land

• 3 months later...
It's not, really. It's just something that needed to be said.

Something else that needs to be said, I love the way Kris Gutierrez talks! His voice has just a tiny hint of Ed Sullivan and Inspector Gadget combined. Listen next time.

:mellow:

I saw Chris Gutierrez on FOX news reporting about the crazy astronut!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived