Roula And Ryan Show Dropped On 96.5

LarryDallas

What do you think of this?

I had posted here before that I didn't much care for them because both were grown adults pretending to be the ultra cool college age singles in the world of dating like in a TV show or something. I also was very annoyed by how she always referenced that Big Fat Greek Wedding movie as being her life story. Their bits on the show always had the males vs females and how men are stupid as the least common denominator. It got really played out.

I would listen sporadically and in the past few months I was shocked to hear them give opinions on the Bush admin. that were not in line with Clear Channel's pro-Bush stance on things. They would openly inform people about the news that is glossed over in the mainstream. After Katrina hit they bashed FEMA and director Brown for the delayed response and subsequent consequences of it. I expected them to be pulled from the air right there and then on some days.

Yesterday on the way to work I'm going through stations and I hear Sam Malone. YIIKES. Talk about going from bad to worse. R&R were talented compared to this guy. As Dr Evil said in Austin Powers "There's nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster". Malone was bad enough on 104. He had always been the Howard Stern wannabe with Maria Todd laughing at all of his stupid jokes. How old is this guy? Late 40s? 50ish? TIME to GROW UP MAN! His show is just grabage because what he says and does on it is completely an act and not who he is in real life based on his activism in the Republican party. His stance to be on the side of the "working man" is pure bull____. Did you see him cheerlead at the Tom DeLay rallies earlier this month? Consistency is lacking in this guy. If he had instead done a right wing show on talk radio; fine. He is entitled to his opinions and political views but as is he's a phoney.

DeLay is pretty influential and I'd sure it took just one call from him to a Clear Channel exec. to get malone on the air. Pure speculation, but I suspect this to be the case.

I never thought I would say this but I miss the R&R show.

Houston radio died in Dec of 04 when Paul Berlin went off the air on 790 and it went to sports radio format.

Stevens and Pruett (mis-spelled I'm sure) were fired because they made too much money.

Clear Channel is destroying the airwaves.

http://www.roulaandryan.com/index.html

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LarryDallas, I agree with your post wholeheartedly except for one thing. Houston radio was never that great, but it died completely in September 2001. In fact, all media felt compelled to fall in lock step with the message of the day, and never recovered. Clear Channel, with it's Aggie CEO, certainly tanked radio, but all major media, being owned by large corporations, bear the blame for subtlely, or blatantly, taking away choice and diversity in our media menu.

Regardless of political leanings, we need choice in our media offerings, if for no other reason, than to know what the other side is thinking.

As to the locals, they are so consumed with grabbing the 25-45 male listener...which in Houston, seems to mean bad jokes about sex and farts...or grabbing the 25-45 female listener, which appears to mean talking non-stop about bad network TV shows and Hollywood celebrities, that any listener wanting either good music or intelligent radio is left with NPR and little else.

It is their loss, as I haven't listened in 5 years.

Actually, I think Clear Channel owns majority shares in XM and Sirus.

Their diabolical plot is to make broadcast radio as terrible as possible, thus making us all subscribe to satellite radio.

When that happens, broadcast radio will be sold to Mexico, and the second phase of the invasion will be complete.

Mexican Radio.

i dial it in and tune the station

they talk about the u.s. inflation

i understand just a little

no comprende - it's a riddle

i wish i was in tiajuana

eating barbequed iguana

i take requests on the telephone

i'm on a wavelength far from home

i feel a hot wind on my shoulder

i dial it in from the south of the border

i hear the talking of the dj

can't understand, just what does he say?

When that happens, broadcast radio will be sold to Mexico, and the second phase of the invasion will be complete.

I wonder what the third phase is?

1. Day Laborers & Taco Trucks

2. Spanish speaking TV & Radio

3. ...?

I hardly listen to my radio in the morning. that's why CD players are now invented in trucks and cars. For the poor (and cheap) sataliteless radio people. I loved KRBE growing up in the 80's and it went Kaput. Does EVERY song have to be R&B or hop hop?

I just *sarcastically saying* love it when the DJ's on country radio tell a joke and its not even funny. The "laugh at everything" c'mon nothing is THAT friggan funny at 5 AM! someone has had too much coffee or gets cheap thrills.

I didn't like Maria Todd in the morning either. How many celeb news reports do we have to hear?

I SO wanted to hear about the game. Scrambling for ESPN (I don't know my cable channels at all) early in the morning was he**. LOL! I was going through every channel going, "okay what's the score, what happened?" sorry going off topic.

Actually, I kind of like 104 in the morning because Malone is no longer there. Atom Smasher or Adam or whatever name he goes by these days is a pretty darn good replacement because his voice just sounds kind of stupid and funny at the same time. When Rita hit or the day before he kept telling this stupid joke about how he did not care if the listeners stayed with KRBE for their info. He said to just tap into whatever they could on TV to see the realtime photos and he suggested Channel 2 and kept saying that all morning cause he said he wanted to tap Dominique Sachse.

Stupid? yes

Appropriate from a guy that just sounds stupid all of the time? you bet

CDs I listen to some times in the car but that early in the AM I really don't feel like much music as in I turn it up and really listen to the music taking note of the rich bass, crisp highs, and the vocals. I think it's different to just hear music and really listen to it. I've often taken a new CD I bought and played it in the car for a week or two during a commute and thought to myself that it was total crap. Weeks later I'd listen to the same material crusing around at night or something and thought....wow...what a great CD.

I used to love Star 790's morning show. They had a lot of Houston history, subtle commedy, great music, and fun trivia plus all of the ads were done the old fashion way of the DJ reading the ad instead of a loud and annoying 30 second bit produced a thousand miles away.

I have Sirius at home w/ the dish but not in the car. About 12 bucks a month is not that much and I might go to it in the car eventually. I used to drive 33 miles each way to work but since I changed jobs I only do about 10 miles each way now. It just may not be worth it but who knows. Besides, I have a Mitsu 3000GT that was made before sat. radio was invented. I love the stock sound system and don't really want to add bulky wires, control screens, and antennas to the car.

WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE GUY FROM KATY THAT WAS PART OF THE SAM MALONE AND MARIA SHOW? HAS ANYONE HEARD FROM HIM?

BTW,,,SAM MALONE (DOES HE COPY HIS NAME FROM HIS IDOL ON "CHEERS?") IS ABLE TO GET WORK IN THIS TOWN, JONATHAN WALTON IS ABLE TO KEEP A TV JOB,,,HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!

Actually, I kind of like 104 in the morning because Malone is no longer there. Atom Smasher or Adam or whatever name he goes by these days is a pretty darn good replacement because his voice just sounds kind of stupid and funny at the same time. When Rita hit or the day before he kept telling this stupid joke about how he did not care if the listeners stayed with KRBE for their info. He said to just tap into whatever they could on TV to see the realtime photos and he suggested Channel 2 and kept saying that all morning cause he said he wanted to tap Dominique Sachse.

Stupid? yes

Appropriate from a guy that just sounds stupid all of the time? you bet

CDs I listen to some times in the car but that early in the AM I really don't feel like much music as in I turn it up and really listen to the music taking note of the rich bass, crisp highs, and the vocals. I think it's different to just hear music and really listen to it. I've often taken a new CD I bought and played it in the car for a week or two during a commute and thought to myself that it was total crap. Weeks later I'd listen to the same material crusing around at night or something and thought....wow...what a great CD.

I used to love Star 790's morning show. They had a lot of Houston history, subtle commedy, great music, and fun trivia plus all of the ads were done the old fashion way of the DJ reading the ad instead of a loud and annoying 30 second bit produced a thousand miles away.

I have Sirius at home w/ the dish but not in the car. About 12 bucks a month is not that much and I might go to it in the car eventually. I used to drive 33 miles each way to work but since I changed jobs I only do about 10 miles each way now. It just may not be worth it but who knows. Besides, I have a Mitsu 3000GT that was made before sat. radio was invented. I love the stock sound system and don't really want to add bulky wires, control screens, and antennas to the car.

My dad used to drive a 3000GT. Tell ya NOT a car for more then 2 people! LOL! Sometimes he, my brother and I would pile in the car and getting squished in the back was not fun.

What I do love about early morning radio is NO DJ's...just music and some commericals. The way it should be. Depending on music.

When Sunny plays their Sunday Brunch Jazz, I feel like I should be at a hotel somewhere.

Even though $12 isn't much I perfer not to buy things on unnecessary expenses. Even though I am looking to getting a TIVO (my DVD/VCR got a tape stuck and I'm SOL on the VCR part) -sorry OT again.

I find all the morning shows pretty much suck on the pop stations.

I much rather Walton and Johnson. At least they don't spend their time laughing all morning and actually throw some substance into the show.

I find all the morning shows pretty much suck on the pop stations.

I much rather Walton and Johnson. At least they don't spend their time laughing all morning and actually throw some substance into the show.

Johnson's character of "Mr. Kenneth" has become too overbearing in the last year. Oh, and Walton can't seem to remember anything. Otherwise, sure - they're great.

WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE GUY FROM KATY THAT WAS PART OF THE SAM MALONE AND MARIA SHOW? HAS ANYONE HEARD FROM HIM?

BTW,,,SAM MALONE (DOES HE COPY HIS NAME FROM HIS IDOL ON "CHEERS?") IS ABLE TO GET WORK IN THIS TOWN, JONATHAN WALTON IS ABLE TO KEEP A TV JOB,,,HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!

Psycho Robbie, got out of the radio biz I think.

I like Maria Todd, she's the main reason I listened when Sam was on with her on 104. I just tolerated him, I'm glad that she's still there.

R&R never seemed to mesh to me. Mostly I listened to them and couldn't even tell that they liked each other's company much less thought each other were funny. Although I'm embarassed to admit that their "War of the Roses" captivated me from time to time.

I do know someone who calls in morning shows regularly. He's just as much of an idiot as you would think. He's even been known to brag that he got on the air, got rodeo passes, etc. I roll my eyes.

I did email Maria Todd once, mostly to beg her to make them stop playing Clay Aiken.

Who was that really right wing Republican guy on morning AM radio? The one who plead no contest to child molestation? Never heard much from him anymore. I think he was on 700 AM?

No couldn't have been AM700. They only have good Christian family men on that station.

:lol:

Seriously, it was Jon "see what I got little girl" Mathews. Never spoken of again at that station.

No couldn't have been AM700. They only have good Christian family men on that station.

:lol:

Seriously, it was Jon "see what I got little girl" Mathews. Never spoken of again at that station.

Thanks, west...that's the guy...what a sicko...he needs to get a chatty cathy or something...maybe a cabbage patch doll...they're soft and squishy :o

B)

That Psycho Rob guy didn't seem to fit in well with 104's morning show. He always did stunts where he'd panhandle on Westheimer and they'd see how much he got to be an economic indicator on the more serious shows. Man, his name is taking me wayyyyy back like 5 years.

As for R&R I think they would not enjoy e/o's company in real life. She seemed more or less like this spoiled brat that was always the princess at home and got things her way no matter what. He was seeminlgy more of a blue collar guy that worked shitty jobs, had lousy pay, went through paying his dues before landing a radio gig that beats having a real 9-5 job.

She was was also quite a prude I'd say. The toilet humor she never liked at all.

That said, the show was sure to die when they brought that producer Eric guy on as a daily host. I think the strategy was to help these man/woman child types that never really grew up identify with him. The guy is in his late 20s and divorced with a child yet he does stuff like a teenager by indulging in fast food, chasing women like a school boy, etc. They once did a show where he was on a blind date at 6am in the studio. I'd say it was pretty stupid to do that.

Lately they had spent much of their time talking about current events that are topics of conversation people have in real life. Stuff like the war, gas prices, safe and clear, etc... I'd say everyone on the show was given a pink slip perhaps months ago so they did what seems to be real call in radio w/o screening the callers.

And yeah that car is realy for 2 people. I once put 2 people in the backseat and took them to San Antonio for a day trip. Tempers started to get out of control before we reached Sealy.

I only listen to Pat when W&J doesn't come in my office. 103.7's signal isn't that strong, but in the last week i've been getting a better signal.

I listen to W&J then in the 9am hour i go back and forth between them and Glenn Beck. Glenn has possibly one of the best shows on Radio currently.

I'd wish he would do one of his live stage shows here in Houston.

It's just so hard to choose anymore.

Do I listen to the 3 times divorced, doctor shopping, drug addict Rush Limbaugh or should I listen to the child molesting Jon Matthews?

Or maybe to compulsive gambler, abort black babies to bring the crime rate down Bill Bennett?

It's a tough choice to choose one of those good, family values, christian, radical, far right-wing, Republican talk show hosts.

The hypocracy is blinding.

B)

It's just so hard to choose anymore.

Do I listen to the 3 times divorced, doctor shopping, drug addict Rush Limbaugh or should I listen to the child molesting Jon Matthews?

Or maybe to compulsive gambler, abort black babies to bring the crime rate down Bill Bennett?

It's a tough choice to choose one of those good, family values, christian, radical, far right-wing, Republican talk show hosts.

The hypocracy is blinding.

B)

You forgot the sexually harassing Bill O'Rielly and the "No Pants....errrrr....Spin Zone" He's looking out for you, the folks. And don't forget 'ol Dan "Katrina hit NOLA because of the gay fest" Patrick. Ed Shultz offers a refreshing alternative but he is never on. Always pre-empted by the Astros.

And Air America is a blinding show of morality? D

Also, just from the statements you guys are spouting, I can tell that you haven't truly listened to any of their shows. You would realize that they are nothing like you are characterizing them to be.

Rush never talks about morals are moral superiority. It's not what his show is about. He doesn't even go to church. His show is about conservative ideals which have nothing to do with christianity and church going.

Some conservative talk radio is too much for me such as Sean Hannity. He's too much for the show and fame and not about the talk.

I like Rush, Glenn, and Michael Savage. Also, Michael Savage is religionless but believes in god. These guys don't hide who they are and don't preach that everybody should be such a way. If they do, I'd like for you show me. Also, if they were all preachy, they wouldn't have such a fan base.

The success of Talk Radio has showed people the lack of information they have been getting from traditional news sources.

Archived