• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Anyone else think this thing is boring? Kind of disappointing.

I do not.

The 3 rooftop gardens (2 habitable and 1 with a reflecting pond) with blinder walls will be interesting to say the very least. This is a quality 100 year building, built to exacting (1/64") standards, and the amount of effort it takes to get projects like this built is a war of attrition for architects.

How many buildings in Houston of recent can you say that about?

Edit: 54' x 128' reflecting pool

Edited by infinite_jim
  • Like 3

I do not.

The 3 rooftop gardens (2 habitable and 1 with a reflecting pond) with blinder walls will be interesting to say the very least. This is a quality 100 year building, built to exacting (1/64") standards, and the amount of effort it takes to get projects like this built is a war of attrition for architects.

How many buildings in Houston of recent can you say that about?

Considering it's still just a plot of grass, it's pretty boring.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So what's going on with it? I just drove by the lot yesterday and noticed the sign said groundbreaking spring 2008. They built some sort of temporary test structures and then tore the, down last summer. So when will the actual construction start?

• Like 1

During a lecture at UH, they stated that they may have issues with financing at the moment (as usual), but they still are trying to push forward with it. Or something like that.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
More than five years after announcing it, the Asia Society Texas Center will break ground on a headquarters-gallery and performance hall in December.

The project was announced in 2004, but it was delayed after the Asia Society put it out for bid in 2008.“It was not a good time in terms of prices,” said Martha Blackwelder, executive director of the Asia Society Texas Center. “Steel and concrete were at their highest.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/sarnoff/6742506.html

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am starting a thread here in "Going Up" because I am pretty sure we don't have a thread for this project in here yet. I walked by the site last night and there was a fence around the lot, and construction trailers and signs all around. I'm glad it seems that they are finally getting started with this!

• Like 1

I am starting a thread here in "Going Up" because I am pretty sure we don't have a thread for this project in here yet. I walked by the site last night and there was a fence around the lot, and construction trailers and signs all around. I'm glad it seems that they are finally getting started with this!

Yes, it is definitely going up.

They have already dug much of the foundation and a mobile crane is on site.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good news, indeed. I was at my dr.'s office, looking out the window, and I noticed the crane over there. I did not know this was the site for Asia House, but I am extremely delighted that it is underway. Of course, I find out what is going on over there on HAIF. Cool. B)

Edited by houstonfella
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

New article on it here:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/main/7290480.html

http://asiasociety.org/blog/reasia/houston-building-rises-along-expectations

Groundbreaking for the Texas Center took place in May 2008 and the building's soft opening is scheduled for October 2011, to be followed by a grand opening the next spring.
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I was surprised that its been so long since there have been any updates posted on the Asia House. I happened to drive by yesterday and was amazed by the progress. I've heard of a spring 2012 opening, but much of the structure is already complete. If anyone in the area can upload a few current photos (I did not have a camera on me), I think HAIFers would be excited to see an update.

This building will become an architectural landmark in the city. And in a great location that continues to get better.

Now if only we could build a few new restaurants in the museum district.....

• Like 2