Hurricane Wilma

westguy

The thing forming near the Cayman Islands is projected to skirt past Cuba and head north-northwesterly into the Gulf of Mexico as a major hurricane. Our waters seem to have the ability to make these things into monsters. Will it affect Houston?

Go and read the Dr. Jeff Masters web-log on www.wunderground.com, he seems fairly competent.

I hope this thing doesnt head our way, yet without any strong high pressure systems (usually associated with cooler weather) it seems likely that the Gulf States are going to be holding our collective breathes again!!

F#$#$ng 3 times in one year --- I sure as hell hope not!!!!! Thats if it intensifies into a really big storm like the last 2, good thing is atleast the water is a little cooler, and so is the air temperature!

It's reached hurricane status now, and the track is directly towards Florida when it reaches the Gulf. So its probably not coming to us. (um, yay?)

It's supposed to become a monster storm as well, heading right over the Florida peninsula intact as a hurricane. When it comes to Florida, the storm trackers always love to predict that the eyes will pass over Miami. I wonder if its an inside joke.

It's reached hurricane status now, and the track is directly towards Florida when it reaches the Gulf. So its probably not coming to us. (um, yay?)

It's supposed to become a monster storm as well, heading right over the Florida peninsula intact as a hurricane. When it comes to Florida, the storm trackers always love to predict that the eyes will pass over Miami. I wonder if its an inside joke.

Just like Beaumont didn't think Rita wasn't coming for them. ;)

As recently as last night, Wilma was a 100 mph storm. This morning, it has been confirmed as the most intense hurricane in the Atlantic basin, at 882 mb and winds of 175 mph. For reference, Rita hit 902 and Katrina 904 mb. If we are indeed looking at 10 to 20 years of increased hurricane activity, monsters such as Katrina, Rita and now, Wilma could literally bankrupt the Gulf Coast.

Depending on how far north Wilma goes before turning east, the oil business could take another lick as well. Continued direct hits by super hurricanes will almost certainly cause a big change in how we rebuild coastal areas after these storms.

Time to cross your fingers or say a prayer for western Florida. We know what the wait is like.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_a...4935.shtml?5day

I definitely believe these things are being fed by increased sea temperatures. Global warming may not affect the frequency, but I bet it affects the intensity of hurricanes. Especially since this is a global trend - typhoons and tropical cyclones in the Pacific are growing stronger as well.

Unfortunately, this beast might hit land now before it weakens. The Yucatan is in its tracks now.

In reference to RedScare's post - perhaps we will learn to build better buildings. ie Metal, concrete buildings designed with greater structural specs. and strenght to withstand these monsters. Hopefully we wont see another year with so many powerful stroms for a long time. Id take 5 cat. 1-2 storms over 1 cat. 5 anyday. Considering that neither Rita or Katrina actaully made landfall as a cat. 5 - one can only imagine the devestation.

I also think that if the trend continues we will be forced to move inland - Houston would more than likely be fine, wind speeds shouldnt be to high to cause damage to larger buildings - but cities like Galveston, South Padre, Gulfport ect... would be gone.

Archived