Berthas Mexican Restaurant At 2210 Main St.

EastEnd Susan

Back in the 60's, my Mom and Grandmother used to take my brother and I to a mexican food restaurant called Berthas. All I remember was the food was good and the restaurant was in a big white house with big columns on the porch. It seems like it was close to downtown. You parked on the street and walked up a long sidewalk to the porch.

There was also another mexican restaurant that used to be a house but it was located on Canal, south of downtown. Can't recall the name. Does anyone remember these?

Back in the 60's, my Mom and Grandmother used to take my brother and I to a mexican food restaurant called Berthas. All I remember was the food was good and the restaurant was in a big white house with big columns on the porch. It seems like it was close to downtown. You parked on the street and walked up a long sidewalk to the porch.

There was also another mexican restaurant that used to be a house but it was located on Canal, south of downtown. Can't recall the name. Does anyone remember these?

The place on Canal was El Rancho. My family used to go there ofter in 50's & 60's.

The place on Canal was El Rancho. My family used to go there ofter in 50's & 60's.

Thanks John, Thats the place. Wasn't it on a corner and the entrance was on the side street? That was so many years ago. It was the first mexican restaurant I was ever taken to as a child.

Thanks John, Thats the place. Wasn't it on a corner and the entrance was on the side street? That was so many years ago. It was the first mexican restaurant I was ever taken to as a child.

I don't remember the side enter thing. I ate there until it closed, maybe early 70's. Was my favorite Tex Mex joint for a long time.

• 4 months later...

Bertha's was really good food! I was very sad when it finally closed its doors...in the early 80's I remember it being in a really old building somewhere in downtown...then she moved it near the Alley or maybe it was even inside the Alley Theatre building in the upper levels...then it made its final home on Montrose in a shopping strip (that is still there right next to Diedrich's Coffee)...that's a place I really wish would make a comeback!

• 4 months later...
Bertha's was really good food! I was very sad when it finally closed its doors...in the early 80's I remember it being in a really old building somewhere in downtown...then she moved it near the Alley or maybe it was even inside the Alley Theatre building in the upper levels...then it made its final home on Montrose in a shopping strip (that is still there right next to Diedrich's Coffee)...that's a place I really wish would make a comeback!

"BERTHA'S" sounds like a name that would attract people. A current restaurant that I see ad of in the Chronicle called "DONARAKI'S" should do the same thing.

• 2 months later...
"BERTHA'S" sounds like a name that would attract people. A current restaurant that I see ad of in the Chronicle called "DONARAKI'S" should do the same thing.

Berthas original restaurant was on Southmore near the old Sears on Main St. My wife and I started going to Berthas in the early 80's. At that time it was a dive on McKinney street and was demolished a few years later to make way for the George R. Brown Convention Center. It was a really cool place and she had an blind organ player named Milo. Our son was a baby at the time and Bertha would come over to the table while Milo was playing and pick up our 2 year old and dance around the restaurant with him. When you came to the rest. in the evening, she had the front register closed and you had to go into the kitchen to pay your bill. After the eminent domain of the McKinney rest, she moved to 2 Houston Center on the corner of McKinney and San Jacinto (I think)...it was across from the Southern National Bank on the east side. It was very swank and didn't really feel like the comfortable family rest. it had once been. I remained there for a couple of years until she moved to Montrose Blvd. near St. Thomas in a strip center. That rest. had a calypso feel to it and was always packed. However, Bertha had financial problems and the rest. didn't last very long. The food was FABULOUS and I still crave her guacamole and tacos. Bertha was personal friends with Mickey Gilley and she had a huge painting of him in each of her restaurants. Sadly, Bertha passed away a cpl of years ago.

• 10 years later...

Bertha was my great aunt. She was my grandfather's sister. I was fortunate enough to have met her twice when she came to Tampa to visit him. I have some old pictures from the eighties of her making tamales with me and my brothers. She was truly an amazing woman and a fantastic cook. I just happened to be in Houston this week for the rodeo and was looking to see if the restaurant was still around and stumbled across this site. If anyone would like to know more information about my aunt Bertha please feel free to message me and I'll find out what I can from my mother 

• Like 2

I never made it to the previous locations, but I was living near the one on Montrose when it opened and used to eat there fairly regularly. Great Tex-Mex, and Bertha was always there making the rounds in the dining room to greet and visit with customers. It was located in the strip center at 3939 Montrose (Branard and Montrose), in the location where Canopy is now, and whenever I drive by there, I still think of Bertha's.

When growing up in Houston my best friend's dad owned The Spanish Village Mexican Restaurant on Almeda Rd. that's been there forever. They also had one on OST at South Main. When I was 12 years old I worked there making Praline candy in the back of the restaurant overlooking a go cart track. His dad's name was Larry Pico.

Edited by blue92

• 6 months later...

Bertha Robinson owned Bertha's Mexican Restaurant which was housed in the beautiful old Greek Revival home in downtown Houston.  I went to Mt. Carmel with her daughter, Dora Robinson.  We would visit the restaurant after school and the workers would be asleep on the floor under the tables. Bertha would take us into the kitchen to prepare delicious Mexican treats for Dora and myself.  Miss that place.  Bertha and Dora Robinson were amazing, wonderful people.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello, my name is Jose G Perez. I worked as a busboy at Bertha's mexican restaurant in the summer of 1980. I was lucky that Mrs. Bertha gave me a job since I was only 14 years old at that time. She was a kind and caring woman with a heart of gold. I remember a waitress by the name of Maria. There was also a waitor by the name of Eric. All staff were very nice to me. Great memories. I am 54 years old now. Will never forget that summer. If anybody has any pictures of Bertha or any of her staff please text or call me at (956) 789-1423. Thank you and may God bless 

Hello, my name is Jose G Perez. I worked at Bertha's Mexican restaurant in the summer of 1980. I was 14 years old at that time. I was a busboy.  Mrs. Bertha had a heart of gold. Her staff included waitress Maria and waiter Eric.  My uncle Tony Chapa and my aunt Benilde Chapa knew Mrs. Bertha. It was hard work that summer and I have never forgotten the valuable lessons that I learned that summer. If anybody has pictures or other memories I would like to hear from you. My phone number is (956) 789-1423. May God be with you always. 

• 7 months later...
On 3/8/2017 at 3:13 PM, Garza1 said:

Bertha was my great aunt. She was my grandfather's sister. I was fortunate enough to have met her twice when she came to Tampa to visit him. I have some old pictures from the eighties of her making tamales with me and my brothers. She was truly an amazing woman and a fantastic cook. I just happened to be in Houston this week for the rodeo and was looking to see if the restaurant was still around and stumbled across this site. If anyone would like to know more information about my aunt Bertha please feel free to message me and I'll find out what I can from my mother 

I would love to know more about Bertha. My Mom was a dear friend of hers. My Mom worked for Harris County Tax Office and that is where she originally met Bertha. My Mom is currently 90 yrs old. A Christmas photo of Bertha and my Mom use to hang on the wall at the restaurant. I think it was 8x10. You can email me fatboyjoe1956@aol.com

• The title was changed to Berthas Mexican Food Restaurant
  • The title was changed to Berthas Mexican Restaurant At 2210 Main St.
  • 5 months later...

I would LOVE to see any Bertha's pictures of the restaurant, the people, the food, and/or the menu!  Miss the restaurant, the food, the live music, and seeing Bertha visiting every table!  Best tacos and cheese enchiladas ever!

Edited by belmontdrew

• 6 months later...

Bertha talked to everyone! What a delightful person!

I don't remember where the original Bertha's was located. She moved to one of the downtown buildings - maybe Houston Center?

I may be wrong, but I think she was also on Montrose in the center with Canopy. Her corner replaced by a workout facility?