KNUZ Radio

Diane

In the 1950s, I used to listen to KNUZ Radio. They had daily programs featuring Biff Colley, his wife, Marge Colley, Laura Lee McBride, Paul Berlin & another disc jockey whose name I can't remember. Seems like it was Larry "something." On the c/w progams, (the first 3), they advertised a dance hall that was way out South Main. I'm trying to remember the last name of that Larry ? & also the name of the dance hall. Bob Wills & Hank Thompson played there often but I was too young, at that time, to go! Darn!

In my research in the 20s I keep coming across mentions of the End 'O Main Dance Hall, but I don't know if that was still around in the 50s.

Biff Collie worked at a number of Houston stations; KNUZ was neither the first or last. He hosted a certain up and coming singer from Memphis by the name of Elvis at the Grand Prize Jamboree at the Eagles Hall in 1955.

Here are some links on Biff Collie which indicate some of the venues he hosted dances and shows at:

http://www.crb.org/awards/djhf/collie.html

http://www.hillbilly-music.com/programs/st...ex.php?prog=310

http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/promos/elv...byday/1955.html

There were a couple of Larrys at KNUZ, I think. Larry Vance and Larry Kane. The latter also had a teen dance show on KTRK that many people thought was better than Dick Clark's American Bandstand.

Edited by brucesw

There were a couple of Larrys at KNUZ, I think. Larry Vance and Larry Kane. The latter also had a teen dance show on KTRK that many people thought was better than Dick Clark's American Bandstand.

I remember Larry Kane very well. He was a contemporary of mine. He worked part-time as a DJ at the time he was attending San Jacinto High School just down the street from KNUZ. His real name was Harry Lieberman. The San Jacinto class of 1954 had their 50th reunion last year and Paul Berlin was one of their celebrity guests.

Other public dance halls of the 20s and 30s included Kensington Hall and the University Club.

I remember Larry Kane very well. He was a contemporary of mine. He worked part-time as a DJ at the time he was attending San Jacinto High School just down the street from KNUZ. His real name was Harry Lieberman. The San Jacinto class of 1954 had their 50th reunion last year and Paul Berlin was one of their celebrity guests.

I think both Kane and Arch Yancey came on board after KNUZ switched to Top 40. Before that, it was probably block programmed - a couple of hours of country in the afternoon might be followed by a couple of hours of easy listening music around the dinner hour, followed by something else, then maybe an hour or so of religious programs, etc.

To get on the Larry Kane Show, I had to take dancing from a guy named Jerry Roe (I think) at Bill Mraz Ballroom on W 34th. Well, that's the way it was supposed to work. I quit taking the lessons before I got to go on the show.

• 9 months later...
To get on the Larry Kane Show, I had to take dancing from a guy named Jerry Roe (I think) at Bill Mraz Ballroom on W 34th. Well, that's the way it was supposed to work. I quit taking the lessons before I got to go on the show.

I took lessons from Jerry Roe when he was on Westheimer near Kirby. He had two sons, one was hoody looking with slicked back hair and a surly expression, the other was a little nerdy but sweet. I sure learned to jitterbug good. Mr. Roe was a nice man.

I took lessons from Jerry Roe when he was on Westheimer near Kirby. He had two sons, one was hoody looking with slicked back hair and a surly expression, the other was a little nerdy but sweet. I sure learned to jitterbug good. Mr. Roe was a nice man.

I remember the American Bandstand show where Larry Kane subbed for Dick Clark. He brought the kids from his show and they completely outdanced the AB kids. I don't think they were ever invited back.

The thing is that I don't think the AB kids actually took dance lessons. They just went on the show. I remember thinking that the Larry Kane kids looked a little too "show-biz" doing all their fancy dances.

Edited by Alpha

• 8 months later...

I am sorry for being so late to read and reply to this topic, I just recently discovered this wonderful forum! Regarding Larry Kane and Jerry Roe (even later Geoffery Underwood), I must confess to being one of the group. The location for the studio was downtown on Caroline?

I am 58 now, maybe at the time was the youngest. I started taking lessons from Jerry Roe in 1961 and took lessons from him and Jeffery Underwood for over 5 years continuously. Exact dates elude me, but I was one the Larry Kane show weekly for over 6 months. I am looking at the certificates on my office wall at home now received from my efforts. Bronze Star on April 8, 1961, Bronze Medal on April 9, 1962, plus 3 others. Issued by the "Jerry Roe Dance Studio". Signed by Jerry Roe.

I do not recall the year I danced a solo perfomance at the medal ball at the Shamrock Hilton, but it was a mambo and the live band was Perez Prado. Never will forget that moment...to Mambo #8.

Most of the names of my contemporaries escape me..most memorable was Alfred Arispe. Great style, also names remembered are Stephani Chifani, Bonita Brocco (went to her birthday party I think). Forgive me, it has just been too long!

One thing I will never forget is the many dances and fun I had. I moved away and lost contact but I promise you, it was wonderful!!!

MK

"If you happen to see me,

You can't help but hear me,

Driving in my car.

Cause for miles around,

You can hear the sound,

Of that lovin steel guitar.

I'm always singin,

And KNUZ is wailin,

Loud enough to wake the dead.

KNUZ country, thats where my head is at. K N U Z"

"I got a special built rig,

With speakers so big,

They rattle the house next door.

I turn KNUZ on,

to a country song,

And just listen to them roar.

I can't remember the rest"

I don't know why I remember that 30 years later and can't remember to take out the garbage.

joe

Edited by texianjoe

• 5 months later...

Hi,

This is my first time posting here so I hope I'm doing this right. I would be interested in talking further about this. Please see my Larry Kane photos here:

www.myspace.com/texasmusicwriter

Thanks,

Vicki

I am sorry for being so late to read and reply to this topic, I just recently discovered this wonderful forum! Regarding Larry Kane and Jerry Roe (even later Geoffery Underwood), I must confess to being one of the group. The location for the studio was downtown on Caroline?

I am 58 now, maybe at the time was the youngest. I started taking lessons from Jerry Roe in 1961 and took lessons from him and Jeffery Underwood for over 5 years continuously. Exact dates elude me, but I was one the Larry Kane show weekly for over 6 months. I am looking at the certificates on my office wall at home now received from my efforts. Bronze Star on April 8, 1961, Bronze Medal on April 9, 1962, plus 3 others. Issued by the "Jerry Roe Dance Studio". Signed by Jerry Roe.

I do not recall the year I danced a solo perfomance at the medal ball at the Shamrock Hilton, but it was a mambo and the live band was Perez Prado. Never will forget that moment...to Mambo #8.

Most of the names of my contemporaries escape me..most memorable was Alfred Arispe. Great style, also names remembered are Stephani Chifani, Bonita Brocco (went to her birthday party I think). Forgive me, it has just been too long!

One thing I will never forget is the many dances and fun I had. I moved away and lost contact but I promise you, it was wonderful!!!

MK

My dad ,whose 80, is an old Bob Wills fan . He says from the of the war to around 1955 Wills played at End of Main alot . If your thinkin later , it could be Regal Ranch in Stafford. Wills played there ever so often until the late sixties .

We need to start another post on old Houston CW dancehalls and honky-tonks .

• 14 years later...
On 10/5/2005 at 9:42 PM, Diane said:

In the 1950s, I used to listen to KNUZ Radio. They had daily programs featuring Biff Colley, his wife, Marge Colley, Laura Lee McBride, Paul Berlin & another disc jockey whose name I can't remember. Seems like it was Larry "something." On the c/w progams, (the first 3), they advertised a dance hall that was way out South Main. I'm trying to remember the last name of that Larry ? & also the name of the dance hall. Bob Wills & Hank Thompson played there often but I was too young, at that time, to go! Darn!

• The title was changed to Does Anybody Remember KNUZ Radio?
  • The title was changed to KNUZ Radio