Westheimer Center At 1212-1232 Westheimer Rd.

dbigtex56

Westheimer Center (1200 blk. Westheimer - Nidda Thai Cuisine, Erotic Cabaret, former Radio Shack, etc.) is stripping off the blue sheet metal façade.
Unfortunately, there's nothing of interest underneath, but just about any change will be an improvement.
Hopefully, this will attract new businesses to a block that's underperforming.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I noticed that too...it is taking fooooooooorever to get work done on this and meanwhile the burger king almost next door has been knocked down and a shake shack has been built and nearly open in the same amount of time! what in the heck?! 

• 6 months later...

So glad they renovated that...I am surprised they didn't do something either with more stories or something cool and unique...but hey its a step for sure! I know Nidda Thai Cuisine had said they would be moving back in. I bet they are excited there is finally an end (and new beginning) in site!!!

• The title was changed to Westheimer Center 1212-1232 Westheimer
  • 1 month later...

Finally!!!!!!!!!!! I noticed that this weekend as well...hopefully they are kicking this into high gear...i still think its possible that it will be december or january though before anything opens...

we shall see! 🙏

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2019 at 11:13 AM, Toopicky said:

I see the Nidda Thai restaurant sign that indicated they are returning is no longer up

I was hoping they'd return, but also wondered how a small restaurant could afford to be closed for an extended period before resuming business. A rent increase seems probable as well.

Yep it definitely looks better than before! However this is probably the longest i have ever seen a strip center under construction...my gosh! It's no wonder Nidda Thai had to pull out if that is indeed what happened! 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

this just in:

VOODOO DOUGHUTS will be coming to this plaza!

just fyi they announced the new location and surprised they didn't find a way to continue buildings that would be drive-thru accessible but here ya go:

https://houston.eater.com/2020/6/15/21291909/voodoo-doughnuts-opening-houston-montrose

The Portland-based chain, famous for it colorful doughnuts in offbeat flavors, will open at 1214 Westheimer Road, in the newly-revamped shopping center that previously housed Erotic Cabaret and Nidda Thai. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

just an update that Nidda Thai has their signage up on the plaza and workers busy trying to get this place reopened...i am guessing it wont be until October or November...maybe even December.

however in a surprise to ME anyway, Erotic Cabaret not only is coming back to the plaza but their signage is up and they look almost ready to open! I am betting they are open in the next week or so, just in time for Halloween season...

and edit to add i do not see any activity at the old Radio Shack where someone mentioned Voodoo Doughnut will be located...wonder what the hold up is?

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yes Voodoo is opening there and i think it will be perfect for Montrose and a good location although i really wish they would have stuck with the original planned location of the little house down by westheimer/dunlavy...but yep this is good! 

also Nidda Thai is apparently in no hurry as they are slowly but surely chugging along at a snails pace...maybe opening by spring? who knows!

I bet Voodoo opens before they do at this point!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, august948 said:

How are their donuts?

Very different than a "normal" doughnut like Shipley's. Denser and while they have some more typical options, they have some elaborately decorated/flavored options that they are kind of known for. 

Honestly, there is room for both. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, august948 said:

How are their donuts?

They are the 'Velvet Taco' of donuts. It's a big touristy thing in Portland, OR where they are from, to wait in line out the door.

21 hours ago, wilcal said:

New 2,900 square foot donut shop going in?

Also, doubt it's take out only if its that large. 

I don't know how big that is but it may be standing space for customers with seating to wait for an order. 

• Like 2

Donuts are great with lots of options as stated above! They have both cake and yeast donuts...however my new favorite is Hurts Donuts on Memorial (5801 Memorial...) They have a good mix of donuts and their cake donuts were just different somehow and i loved them! 

This is Voodoo donuts as seen on Denver Eater: 

Voodoo Doughnut opens a second Denver location soon - Eater Denver

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 9:25 AM, gene said:

Donuts are great with lots of options as stated above! They have both cake and yeast donuts...however my new favorite is Hurts Donuts on Memorial (5801 Memorial...) They have a good mix of donuts and their cake donuts were just different somehow and i loved them! 

This is Voodoo donuts as seen on Denver Eater: 

Voodoo Doughnut opens a second Denver location soon - Eater Denver

Have to agree with you on Hurts Donuts.  Expensive, but their bavarian donuts are huge and really good.  We tried both Hurts and Voodoo this past weekend and both have a few good donuts and a lot of donuts that are more flash than anything else.  If i ever go back to VooDoo it would be to pick up an old-fashioned donut.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gmac said:

Hurts was pretty not good in its previous location. They had no idea how to keep product fresh. Hope it is better now it has moved to a new location.

My one time trying them late at night suggests they fixed that problem. That reminds me, though, that you need to keep their donuts a little chilled or the frosting will start to run.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, august948 said:

My one time trying them late at night suggests they fixed that problem. That reminds me, though, that you need to keep their donuts a little chilled or the frosting will start to run.

That's good to hear. I bought a half dozen different donuts one day and every one of them was as stale as cardboard. I think they may have been way too ambitious when they started up, and it sounds like they have learned valuable lessons.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...