You Can Go Home Again

FilioScotia

Am I the only one here who sometimes uses Google Maps Street View to visit and explore my old neighborhoods? It's really eye-opening to "go back" to the neighborhoods I lived in when I was a kid back in the 50s. I can click my way into, through, up and down almost every street and all around the town. It's really sad to see houses I lived in that looked really nice long ago looking ragged and rundown today. Some of my old stomping grounds in Pasadena have really gone to seed or don't exist anymore. Does anybody else do this? 

Yep!  I have done this on the places (4) I lived in from the time I was born (1935) until I left home and married.  All are in good shape with the exception of when we lived with my grandmother on Elgin, between Main and Fannin, during WWII.  It's not there anymore.  Also on the houses (2) in the Houston area after I was married.  They appear to be well maintained.

For those not aware, in Google Earth Pro, if you click on "View" in the toolbar, you'll see an option for "Historical Imagery". When this is enabled, you'll see a slider marked in years appear in the upper left of your map. Sliding back and forth invokes aerial photography (both satellite and plane) with current streets overlayed. Endless hours of nostalgia!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 0:43 AM, kmtv said:

For those not aware, in Google Earth Pro, if you click on "View" in the toolbar, you'll see an option for "Historical Imagery". When this is enabled, you'll see a slider marked in years appear in the upper left of your map. Sliding back and forth invokes aerial photography (both satellite and plane) with current streets overlayed. Endless hours of nostalgia!

That slide bar comparison feature is one I've used quite a bit on the Historic Aerials site. Nice to see GoogleEarth offering it as a research tool. 

Archived