Ray Hay's Broiler Burger At 723 Telephone Rd.

EastEnd Susan

Anyone remember Ray Hays Broiler Burger? It was on Telephone and Dumble. Its still there but different owners and the food will never match Ray Hays. I can still taste that broiler burger with the broiled patty, chili, fresh grated cheddar and tiny diced onions. It was such a treat for mom to surprise us with a meal from there.

Also named John’s Broiler Burger.

I've seen that place - John's isn't it? Are the burgers any good at all? Is it worth a trip out of the way? I'd been thinking about trying to get over there for lunch.

Yes, its called Johns now. The food is just "ok" now. Back in the 60's and 70's when it was Ray Hays, it was wonderful. The burgers are NOT any way near as good as they were. They do have some homestyle lunch items that are pretty good. I wouldnt go out of my way for them though. If I were in that neck of the woods I would make a special trip to Lenox Bar b q at 5420 Harrisburg. That place is the best. My brother used to work there catering in the late 60's and early 70's. I have to remember that their bar b q sauce is NOT a beverage!

Was Broiler Burger a chain? There used to be a couple of Britton's(?) Broiler Burgers, one in Merchant's Park at 11th and Shepherd, and another in Bellaier that later became Bellaire Broiler Burger.

Brittain's Broiler Burger is how they are listed in an old directory. My parents loved them but I never liked that burnt taste. Some Dairy Queens had the Brazier cookers in Houston and I thought they were bad too. They still have those flame cookers at some Dairy Queens in Mississippi.

Brittains was at 5216 Bellaire and that is Bellaire Broiler Burger now. They don't use the broiler any more though. Isn't there a griddle in the front window? There was another Brittain's Broiler Burger at 6100 Westheimer near the Ninfa's and House of Pies. It was a fairly nice restaurant and next door they had a Mrs. Brittain's Ice Cream store.

• 9 months later...
Anyone remember Ray Hays Broiler Burger? It was on Telephone and Dumble. Its still there but different owners and the food will never match Ray Hays. I can still taste that broiler burger with the broiled patty, chili, fresh grated cheddar and tiny diced onions. It was such a treat for mom to surprise us with a meal from there.

I think that I saw a sign about some kind of a Broiler Burger during one of our Sunday afternoon drives to Houston back in the 1960s. By the way that you describe the burger, I would have preferred having that to the messy chili dog I had at Der Wienerschnitzel that I spilled on my shirt.

• 2 weeks later...

There was also a Brittain's Broiler Burger across the street from Memorial City. They had a large, slow-moving, merry-go-round in the center. Children could sit and eat on horses with built-in trays. We used to go there in the late 60s and early 70s.

There was also a Brittain's Broiler Burger across the street from Memorial City. They had a large, slow-moving, merry-go-round in the center. Children could sit and eat on horses with built-in trays. We used to go there in the late 60s and early 70s.

I personally believe that hamburgers themselves are simply not as popular today as they were 40-50 years ago.

• 5 months later...
Yes, its called Johns now. The food is just "ok" now. Back in the 60's and 70's when it was Ray Hays, it was wonderful. The burgers are NOT any way near as good as they were. They do have some homestyle lunch items that are pretty good. I wouldnt go out of my way for them though. If I were in that neck of the woods I would make a special trip to Lenox Bar b q at 5420 Harrisburg. That place is the best. My brother used to work there catering in the late 60's and early 70's. I have to remember that their bar b q sauce is NOT a beverage!

Hope you see my replies!

LENOX BARBECUE reigns! It is still in business!

I worked there for a short time approx 1974 but my big brother had been working there regulary off and on and he knew everyone big time!

We knew Joe Lucas & his big brother Gary Lucas and their mom worked there for a loooong time. There were very dear friends of my family. It was really sad to learn of Joe's untimely demise. We were so shocked to hear. I remember the manager was an older man that was quite a character. We used to cater to some of the coolest places around the city. You can still order links & sliced beef for small or large parties, we still do. I always remember those silly rum cakes. This place deserves alot more recognition another unsung hero of Houston. Now you got me wanting to eat some!

Wouldn't doub't if we knew you! Wer'e from the old Broadmoor street area near the infamous Triangle Park. Closer to East End Baseball Park though.

• 2 years later...

i used to go there with my mom, sister and brother...thru the years i used to tell people about it....i do not think ive had a burger like ray hays....it seems like he also had draft root beer....the old fashioned kind in the keg! fantastic!! i sure miss it.....it was a real treat for us because we did not have a car...my mom was raising us alone and we were on a tight budget. does anyone remember a little malt shop close to ray hays on telephone rd called heap o cream? there malts were so creamy and thick....:)))

I remember Ray Hay's Broiler Burger. I used to go in there after school occasionally. Ray Hay was a big round guy and was a friend of my next door neighbor's family. In 1973 or 1974 he opened Ray Hay's Cajun Po-boy on Richmond, which is now the Ragin' Cajun. I believe Ray Hay himself was of Cajun ancestry. Ninfa Laurenzo used the kitchen at Ray Hay's Broiler Burger to perfect her recipes before she opened Ninfa's on Navigation.

As far as Lennox BBQ:

Historic Houston BBQ restaurant demolished

03:42 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

khou.com staff report

HOUSTON—An historic Houston barbecue joint was reduced to rubble Tuesday.

It took several hours to demolish Lenox Barbecue and Catering, located in Houston’s east end. The owner, Eric Mrok, said that his restaurant, which has served residents for decades, was torn down to make way for the new Harrisburg light rail line.

“This is so wrong. Sixty-three years in business for a rail line I don’t think anybody’s going to use. Metro doesn’t sit well with me right now I’ll put it that way,” said Eric Mrok.

Lenox barbecue will continue to run as a catering and delivery business, said Mrok. He says that he’s also working on setting up a new restaurant at a different location.

I remember Ray Hay's Broiler Burger. I used to go in there after school occasionally. Ray Hay was a big round guy and was a friend of my next door neighbor's family. In 1973 or 1974 he opened Ray Hay's Cajun Po-boy on Richmond, which is now the Ragin' Cajun. I believe Ray Hay himself was of Cajun ancestry. Ninfa Laurenzo used the kitchen at Ray Hay's Broiler Burger to perfect her recipes before she opened Ninfa's on Navigation.

As far as Lennox BBQ:

Historic Houston BBQ restaurant demolished

03:42 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

khou.com staff report

HOUSTON—An historic Houston barbecue joint was reduced to rubble Tuesday.

It took several hours to demolish Lenox Barbecue and Catering, located in Houston’s east end. The owner, Eric Mrok, said that his restaurant, which has served residents for decades, was torn down to make way for the new Harrisburg light rail line.

“This is so wrong. Sixty-three years in business for a rail line I don’t think anybody’s going to use. Metro doesn’t sit well with me right now I’ll put it that way,” said Eric Mrok.

Lenox barbecue will continue to run as a catering and delivery business, said Mrok. He says that he’s also working on setting up a new restaurant at a different location.

I do remember a ray hays cajun po bo on richmond...i used to wonder if it was the same ray hay from broiler burger in east end....thats interesting ninfa used his kitchen..... do u remember the jack in the box on dumble? it had the old clown head as the speaker!! also does anyone remember The Italian Beef House on telephone at 45? absolutely the best pizza and italian beef sandwiches i have EVER tasted....the owner was from Italy.....my mom would call in a take out every friday.....he did have a small dining area....it seems food back then was so much better....small indepenent owners...not a lot of fast food chains....sigh.....<3 so sad to hear about lenox bbq.....that was so wrong of metro......lenox was and is a houston legend and institution......god bless all the employees and faithful patrons......

It was one of the better burgers around the Memorial City Mall area early on. I loved the food there... Making me hungry now ...

• 7 years later...
On 9/29/2009 at 9:16 PM, LTAWACS said:

I concur. I think people are starting to realize that eating so much red meat is unhealthy.

I think the exact opposite.....the chains are continuing to grow (Sonic, etc.) and new non drive-thru  hamburger concepts are popping up everywhere, especially here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, which is a major test market for new restaurant concepts.

• The title was changed to Ray Hay's Broiler Burger At 723 Telephone Rd.

Archived