How was HAIF started?

Ric 0_0

How was HAIF exactly started? How was the website made? I just wanted to know because I think this is an awesome website. I think brings together a lot more people from different websites. It brings city related and architecture people together. I think it would be awesome if more cities had something like this. 

On 5/13/2018 at 3:26 PM, Ric 0_0 said:

How was HAIF exactly started? How was the website made? I just wanted to know because I think this is an awesome website. I think brings together a lot more people from different websites. It brings city related and architecture people together. I think it would be awesome if more cities had something like this. 

Started I believe in 2002 by Wayne L.  Most of the initial posters came from places like skyscraper.com.

• 1 year later...
On 5/13/2018 at 1:26 PM, Ric 0_0 said:

The heritage of HAIF goes back to a web site I built in 1997.  I had the kind of career where I'd move to a new city every six month to a year, and I enjoyed taking pictures of the building in each city I visited along the way.  I put those photographs on a web site so my friends around the country could see them.  This was when most people were just migrating from AOL to the actual internet.

People would e-mail me questions about the buildings, and I'd add the replies and other facts to the various building pages.  My friends would share the web link with their friends, and since there weren't many web sites on the internet at the time, it became popular.

In 1999 I moved to Houston and started taking photos.  By 2001 I had quite a few photographs, so I made a standalone Houston version of the site at houstonarchitecture.info.  It launched January 15, 2002.

Posting information to each building was very cumbersome at the time (this was when most web sites were crafted with plain text editors, and Dreamweaver was outside the budget of the majority of people).  So I installed a piece of forum software on the site, and it became known as HAIF — the HoustonArchitecture.Info Forum.

After I set up HAIF my personal life became busy, and I really only had time to add new photos to the main site, and didn't pay much attention to the forum.  A year or so later I remembered that I'd set up the forum, and since I didn't use it, I logged in so I could shut it down.  I expected the forum to be empty, just as I left it.  Instead, there were hundreds of Houstonians and thousands of messages flying back and forth.  HAIF grew completely organically, in much the same way as new life springs from the cheese you forgot in the back of the refrigerator.

The rest is local history.

Archived